News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Holes that you have to ride/walk twice per play
« on: May 05, 2016, 10:49:41 AM »
As a bit of a spin on Greg Gilson's "Jacknife Hole" thread, what about holes where you have to first ride/walk from green to tee, or down a considerable length of fairway to the tee, only to do a 180 and reverse course to play the hole?

Exhibit A from a public course outside of Philadelphia is the par three 10th hole at Broad Run Golfers Club seen in the left side of the picture. 

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tom_Doak

Re: Holes that you have to ride/walk twice per play
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 11:29:28 AM »
The Abaco Club in the Bahamas had you walk all the way from the green of a par-3 back to the tee to play it, so that the hole would play in a different wind direction from a run of holes all playing in one direction.  And then then did the same thing on the run of holes going back the other way!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 11:44:11 AM »
A NorCal fav among many on here, Metropolitan in Oakland, CA.

After leaving the 6th green, you pass right near the 7th green before backtracking to the 7th tee and playing back to where you just came from.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 12:34:36 PM »
How about St. Louis CC?  The 16th and 17th tees are right next to each other, and if i recall correctly, you hit your tee ball on 16th (par 3.. reverse Redan) then hit your tee ball on 17 and then go finish out 16 before heading over to 17 fairway.

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »
After playing the 150yd. par-3 sixth hole at Golspie, you have to walk that distance back to the tee on the par-4 seventh hole.

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 01:39:05 PM »
The 12th at Misquamicut is one of these holes, but given that the walk to the tee basically takes you out to the beach/Atlantic Ocean, its not such a bad walk.

Alex Miller

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 01:42:08 PM »
Hole 12 at the Crossings at Carlsbad is mid-length par 4 or this variety. Quite absurd. http://www.thecrossingsatcarlsbad.com/-scorecard(3)

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »
Circling Hills in Cincinnati. Par 3 6th.

If you walk, you go over a pedestrian bridge, walking past 6 green on the way to the tee box. I spose you could walk the cart-path around, but that takes almost twice as long, which wouldn't make sense.

Then again, if you're walking Circling Hills, it only makes sense to do the front 9. To walk the back 9, you'd have to walk all the way back down hole 9 to 10 tee. From 10 green, you have to walk past half of 17 to cross a road, to get to 11 tee.

Considering the mostly flattish land it's on, it's a very strangely laid out course.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
After playing the 150yd. par-3 sixth hole at Golspie, you have to walk that distance back to the tee on the par-4 seventh hole.

I immediately thought of this one though truth be told you don't tend to notice it due to the quality of the two holes. The 2nd and 3rd at Clecheaton GC do exactly the same thing.

Jon

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 02:44:43 PM »
NLE course south of Sacramento Trinitas had a par three that you had to drive/walk from the green up a hill to the tee. The owner wanted an elevated tee par three.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

JReese

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 03:45:16 PM »
Here's an example from Youche CC in Crown Point, IN. 

The trip to 14 tee requires you walk directly across 15 tee.  After playing 14, which basically plays a quarter of the way down 15, you have to make a U-turn and trek back to the tee. 
"Bunkers are not places of pleasure; they are for punishment and repentance." - Old Tom Morris

Josh Tarble

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 03:55:26 PM »
I believe 11 at Cape Kidnappers is this type of hole, as is 7 at Streamsong Blue.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 04:53:24 PM »
Lighthouse Sound's (near Ocean City, Maryland) 13th hole is a little like this, although, the course as a whole is a routing nightmare (especially for walkers, which I doubt are permitted).

However, I believe No. 3 is exactly what you're talking about, Mike:

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 04:56:21 PM »
Cape May National has a hole like that on the outward nine.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 10:10:03 AM »
Lighthouse Sound's (near Ocean City, Maryland) 13th hole is a little like this, although, the course as a whole is a routing nightmare (especially for walkers, which I doubt are permitted).

However, I believe No. 3 is exactly what you're talking about, Mike:

Matt--
Yup.  I quoted from the course's website on the other thread about holes like this. 

MCirba

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 10:22:03 AM »
Matt/Carl,

Yes, it appears this routing phenomenon happens twice at Lighthouse Sound.   Not only on the 3rd hole as you've mentioned, but on the 13th, as well, seen below free floating far, far from the rest of the course.

In this case, one drives from green to tee the entire length of the hole only to do a 180 and come back.   It must be the views of the adjacent swampy marsh that are so compelling the architect wanted you to see it twice.  ;)

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 10:31:22 AM »
Mike,

Surprisingly, from what I can remember (I played the course in 2011), No. 13 actually plays a little uphill to an elevated green, which obstructs the view of the marsh. Also, when on the green, there are some pines that further obstruct the view.

Jason Topp

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 10:58:52 AM »
The 8th at Magnolia Landing Golf Club is a par 4 that you reach via a long cart ride that arrives at the landing area for the tee shot, you then drive around a corner and along the right side of the fairway to get back to the tee.  I think the ideal tee shot is over the corner you drive around.

It is one of the most dangerous situations I have seen on a golf course.  Perhaps, because it is a private club, the members are able to navigate around it. 

http://magnolialandingclub.com/club-info/the-golf-course.html
http://binged.it/23uTVcF

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 11:33:07 AM »
Hole 12 at the Crossings at Carlsbad is mid-length par 4 or this variety. Quite absurd. http://www.thecrossingsatcarlsbad.com/-scorecard(3)

Looks like you travel the length of #10 to tee off as well. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 11:45:49 AM »
Cirba,

That's gotta be the most egregious routing/detour I've seen on a course.  And I'm not trying to be rude here because with all that low land they must have been severely limited....but that's crazy.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 12:00:30 PM »

Looks like you travel the length of #10 to tee off as well.

You do, but you're not really aware of it when driving to 10, just based on the topography (the path is up on top of the hill and the hole plays down into a sort of canyon).

But as for 12 ... you finish the 11th hole, go past the 13th tee, over a long bridge over the wash, then drive the length of #12 backwards under a protective fence. Then you play the 12th (which, it should be said, is not a good or interesting hole), then drive back across the wash to the 13th tee.

What an awful course that is.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 12:10:13 PM »
The back nine of Silverado GC in Scottsdale does this in a pretty unique way. Most of the holes play through a drainage channel, which isn't uncommon here, but unlike at Camelback GC or Stonecreek, the channel here isn't wide enough for two holes. So, you play the 10th, then drive the length of the 17th to reach the 11th. Then way out of you way to play 12. After 16, you drive the length of the 11th to reach 17 and after 17 you drive down the 0th to reach the 18th tee. Not elegant at all, but there are probably worse things they could have tried.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »
The Par 3, 12th hole at Royal New Kent is a ride to, ride to green and ride back to the 13th tee passing the 11th green.  A real weak point in the routing.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2016, 10:05:42 AM »
Silverado was originally routed by Arthur Jack Snyder, then taken over by RTJ, Jr., then abandoned. Many years later it was resurrected, but apparently no one bothered to look at Snyder's clever routing. Jack had some walks, but managed to avoid a lot of the now odd leaps.

At Mountain Shadows (now under construction) I chose to route No. 14 back against the flow in order to have another view to Camelback Mountain — and to provide some interest with the large double green (Nos. 13-14). I wrestled with this routing decision, but finally decided that doing it this way would be interesting and best.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 01:44:25 PM »
The middle-nine at Milton CC in Milton GA has this on two holes - one a par 3 and another a par 4.  It is only 6100 from the tips, so it adds a few hundred yards of walking to the round. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back