News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

When does The Loop officially open?
« on: May 02, 2016, 03:35:29 PM »
I thought it wasn't until next year. Does it open for play in '16?
Mr Hurricane

Tom_Doak

Re: When does The Loop officially open?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 03:44:22 PM »
We work fast.  They are going to open June 27.  Not sure yet if it's all 18 holes or just the first 5 and last 5 to start with. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:02:54 PM »
According to Forest Dunes via Twitter....

-- All 18 holes will be open starting June 27
-- $99/round
-- Walking only; caddies and pull carts available.
-- Limited daily rounds: 24 in June/July, 36 August, 48 Sept/Oct.
-- Must stay on site to play The Loop.

https://twitter.com/forestdunesgolf/status/727225665259458560
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:24:01 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Carl Nichols

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 06:28:01 PM »
How long does it usually take for a course to be in prime condition following initial grow-in?

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:24:38 PM »
We work fast.  They are going to open June 27.  Not sure yet if it's all 18 holes or just the first 5 and last 5 to start with.

;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:59:52 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
How long does it usually take for a course to be in prime condition following initial grow-in?

Carl:  Greens are usually good after five months of growing weather.  Our last green was planted Sept. 1, so it had Sept,Oct,Nov (way warmer than usual up here), and then May and June.  So it should be ok.  The downside is that the turf hasn't built up any thatch, so the traffic wear is more damaging this year than it will be next year.  Limiting the number of rounds to 40-50 per day is a great way to address that.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:50:41 PM »
"Must stay on site to play The Loop"
[/size][/color]
[/size]Why?[/color]

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »
It looks like I will be out there this summer then. can't wait.
Mr Hurricane

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 02:03:31 PM »

Why?

Makes sense that folks staying on site get dibs on the limited daily rounds.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »

Why?

The course lost money for many years after it opened, in big part because they ran a full clubhouse operation and almost no one stayed to take advantage of it ... clubs in the trunk, off to another course.  The whole idea behind building another course was to get people to stay there where the property could make money instead of lose money on lodging and food and beverage.  The reason the reversible course was so appealing to the client was that you can't play it both ways the same day, you have to stay overnight to see both versions.

So, it only makes sense to require that people stay there overnight to play it.  They are hoping to capitalize on the curiosity about the new course to fill the place up.

The fact that they are still building rooms and only have a limited number available this summer is a perfect transition for this season when the course can't take a ton of traffic.  It also gives them a summer of limited play to ramp up a caddie program and see if they can make it work on a larger scale.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 05:56:09 PM »

Why?

The course lost money for many years after it opened, in big part because they ran a full clubhouse operation and almost no one stayed to take advantage of it ... clubs in the trunk, off to another course.  The whole idea behind building another course was to get people to stay there where the property could make money instead of lose money on lodging and food and beverage.  The reason the reversible course was so appealing to the client was that you can't play it both ways the same day, you have to stay overnight to see both versions.

So, it only makes sense to require that people stay there overnight to play it.  They are hoping to capitalize on the curiosity about the new course to fill the place up.

The fact that they are still building rooms and only have a limited number available this summer is a perfect transition for this season when the course can't take a ton of traffic.  It also gives them a summer of limited play to ramp up a caddie program and see if they can make it work on a larger scale.

Plus, the limited tee times on The Loop course this summer are in the morning hours (e.g., 9 to 10 or 9 to 11 a.m. depending on the month). That will drive more rounds on the Weiskopf course in the afternoon for people who plan to play The Loop again the other direction the next day. 

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 06:36:39 PM »
As I mentioned on another thread, it is very good to see classic quality architecture and a "remote" golfing getaway offered at a sane/working man's rate. The rooms in the lodge seem just lovely and are reasonably priced, as are the green fees. I genuinely wish the owner here a great and long-term/lasting success. All I think he needs (and what I wish for him) is the same kind of fawning and wildly promotional "press coverage" that sees a Cabot Cliffs announced as an "11" before it is half-way finished and the free "media" hype that kicks into gear whenever Tom D is within 1000 miles of Bandon.

As an aside: I pity the student/would-be architect who in 2016 decides to emulate a young Tom D and make a post-graduate pilgrimage to see the greats first hand; in the 1980s Tom could travel overseas and stay for 18 months and study just about all the important and top-flight courses he'd ever dreamed of all for about (I'm guessing) 15 grand. For that kind of money today's would-be architect would never get out of the U.S., and in fact after about a week in Bandon would probably have to hitch-hike to Streamsong, and then afterwards live on oranges growing by the side of the road, along with some locusts and wild honey...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:20:57 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 08:33:55 PM »

Why?

Sounds reasonable to me, I appreciate the low-ish green fee but I have a pet peeve of resorts forcing prospective players to stay at their resort in order to play.  Especially the  ones already charging $$$$ per round.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 09:13:35 PM »
Come on Ryan, I know you guys in the industry hate to pay, so just pay to stay. Keiser is nobody's fool. Have you looked at the cost of lodging, it's like under a Benny.

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 11:07:52 AM »

As an aside: I pity the student/would-be architect who in 2016 decides to emulate a young Tom D and make a post-graduate pilgrimage to see the greats first hand; in the 1980s Tom could travel overseas and stay for 18 months and study just about all the important and top-flight courses he'd ever dreamed of all for about (I'm guessing) 15 grand. For that kind of money today's would-be architect would never get out of the U.S., and in fact after about a week in Bandon would probably have to hitch-hike to Streamsong, and then afterwards live on oranges growing by the side of the road, along with some locusts and wild honey...

Some of us do just fine! It not easy, but where there is a will there is a way. You must be really committed to playing the long game.

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 08:03:54 PM »

Peter,
I just booked a flight to Belfast on Labor Day round trip for $570. A week in a 4 br house in Dunfanaghy is $500 and even less (divided by 4) so $125. A car is $300 for the week (split 4 ways) A dedicated student of architecture could walk 10-20 courses in Donegal in a weeks time for free and play 10-12 for another $5-600.
So a full week is well under $1000 for me as a professional (or the course walker) including food.
It gets even cheaper per week if one stays longer(airfare only paid once)though it gets more expensive if roomates no longer available for longer stays.

While no doubt green fees have gone up exponentially in popular spots, in the past 30 years, there are MANY.many places in the UK and Ireland with architectural gems at reasonable prices, and few if any would charge a student who wrote a polite letter of introduction.

I get a kick out of the outrageous prices offered to me by various tour operators and travel Pro-Ams.

The aspiring arcitect on a budget just might have to skip playing Bandon and Streamsong-or stay off campus and merely walk the courses.
Where there's a will there's a way
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:41:45 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Blake Conant

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 08:10:17 PM »
I'll bet it'd be worth the time of someone who wants to study golf architectures to stay at FD and play the loop clockwise and counterclockwise.  And it'd be worth just walking the course as well.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:12:22 PM by Blake Conant »

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 06:18:58 AM »
A really committed student of architecture must be a really good letter writer.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 10:24:29 AM »

Well, both the median and mean household income in the US is also 2.5 - 3X higher than in 1983 as well.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 10:26:33 AM »
I can't imagine how equally fun and frustrating it would be to put together the jigsaw puzzle that is a reversible course on a blank canvas of land.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 11:45:44 AM »
I can't imagine how equally fun and frustrating it would be to put together the jigsaw puzzle that is a reversible course on a blank canvas of land.

If it was a truly blank canvas it would be pretty easy ... in fact I've got a pretty good one in my desk drawer somewhere.

The Forest Dunes site originally presented as fairly flat, but as soon as I started actually working on it, there were several valleys and features that had to be used as features of the golf course.  That's when it gets complicated!

Jim Franklin

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2016, 05:15:21 PM »
I was hoping Tom or Jim Colton would respond and let us know how The Loop played during their 100 Hole Hike.

I just booked my room and tee times for mid-August. Can't wait.
Mr Hurricane

Carl Nichols

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2016, 06:31:56 PM »
I was hoping Tom or Jim Colton would respond and let us know how The Loop played during their 100 Hole Hike.

I just booked my room and tee times for mid-August. Can't wait.

Can't wait to hear about your experience.  I tried to convince some guys to go this year but I think we're going to wait until 2017.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2016, 06:35:53 PM »
Jim
Their 100 HH is today - check instagram or facebook.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 08:45:40 PM »
I was up there the week before Labor Day.    Wonderful staff, lodging was A-OK, prices were great.   We played the original course 4 times and loved it.   I think it'll compliment The Loop perfectly.   

Very much recommended.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back