News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lapper

Olympic Golf Growth "bulls..t"
« on: May 01, 2016, 01:55:54 PM »
https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/olympic-golf-growth-bullshit-says-wilkie

In what may well be the single most honest assessment yet of everything related to golf at the coming Olympics (save for Gil's fine pitch, win, and delivery of what appears to a marvelous course), this article serves up a plate of refreshing truth.
Read on and discuss.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

John Kirk

Re: Olympic Golf Growth "bulls..t"
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:28:21 PM »
I don't have much to add, mostly responding to say I read the article.

Maybe I disagree where the bullshit resides.  Spending millions of dollars to build a golf course, that will likely have little purpose after the competition, while millions of Brazilians suffer in poverty, seems a poor use of national resources.

From what I read, Brazil is in poor financial shape, and I anticipate there may be more than the usual social and political unrest surrounding this year's games. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »
He may have a point about the golf...but I'm calling bs on his Olympic village thing to be a "real Olympian"

The entire thing is a big hookup party with booze and debauchery galore....

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/story/_/id/8133052/athletes-spill-details-dirty-secrets-olympic-village-espn-magazine

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 06:11:46 PM »
Golf in the Olympics certainly pricked something in a tender place. I don't necessarily agree with everything he said but I do get his point. For a swimmer the Olympics is the pinnacle. To win a golf medal is the zenith of a career. For a touring pro who measures his career in majors the Olypmics is nice but not what he dreams about. I wonder how many tour pros will stay in the Olympic Village? Personally, I look forward to both Winter and Summer Olypmics. I will DVR them and watch much of it. I probably will watch golf in the Olypmics but not go out of my way to see it. I never thought golf, tennis, basketball, or hockey belongs in the Olypmics. They are more of a distraction, a step up from synchronized swimming.

As for growing the game, the Olypmics is about competition.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 06:20:31 PM »
David who?
 Extreme jealousy from someone who is upset that professional golfers have options, as opposed to swimmers.
being an Olympian is a big thing, and just about the only thing if you're a swimmer (I can't actually name one current swimmer at any level)
and hopefully all athletes including golfers appreciate the significance of the Olympics.
but to condemn all golfers because a few may jet in simply for the Golf portion (rather than the orgy)is pure jealousy.

A poor Indian or African has a lot better chance of improving his education opportunities and future standard of living by associating with golf than by swimming.

Curious how much money was raised for charity worldwide from swim meets last year.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:32:09 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 07:45:56 PM »
Spending millions of dollars to build a golf course, that will likely have little purpose after the competition, while millions of Brazilians suffer in poverty, seems a poor use of national resources.

John,

You do know that the course was privately funded - essentially for the right to develop the west portion.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 08:04:27 PM »
Unless they can find a way to make a gold medal in golf to mean one is the best golfer in the world at that time then golf will not be needed or thrive in the Olympics.  It's not much different than the Latin American Amateur....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 08:17:01 PM »
Disagree.

-It's not golf that stinks of manure in poorer countries, but politicians.
-Funny that a Scotsman (or any man, for that matter) is concerned about the environment in someone else's country, but doesn't voice  disgruntlement about environmental pillaging in his own land.
-Funny that this is the first quote we are hearing from this heralded Olympian. Must have had a sore throat for the last forty years.
-I like Steve Lapper. He's probably correct, but I'm not qualified to say where and how much.
-And Mike Young, being an Olympic champion does not make you the "best in the world," but the best at that moment in time. That's why Olympic record times, scores, etc. aren't always as advanced as world records.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John McCarthy

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 08:29:35 PM »
Since Roy Jones Jr.got the Seoul Screwjob in 88, the Olympics have been dead to me.  It is a sandbox for royalty, tyrants and monopolists. 

I want to see the course in Rio, because we have that habit.  But golf at the highest level has been about money for forever, which is a more honest system.

If the Masters said that their participants had to play for free we would have a new major. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Steve Lapper

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 08:52:42 PM »
David who?
 Extreme jealousy from someone who is upset that professional golfers have options, as opposed to swimmers.
being an Olympian is a big thing, and just about the only thing if you're a swimmer (I can't actually name one current swimmer at any level)
and hopefully all athletes including golfers appreciate the significance of the Olympics.
but to condemn all golfers because a few may jet in simply for the Golf portion (rather than the orgy)is pure jealousy.

A poor Indian or African has a lot better chance of improving his education opportunities and future standard of living by associating with golf than by swimming.

Curious how much money was raised for charity worldwide from swim meets last year.

Jealousy? Really? ::)

Thats some stretch of the imagination...and reading comprehension. Closer to pseudo-psychoanalysis IMO.

The author is a very well-regarded Scottish athlete, a fervent golfer, and regardless of his preferred Olympic sport, he's bluntly calling out the claims that Olympic Golf "will grow the game." Unfortunately, I agree with him.

As for "experiencing" the Olympic flavor, I've attended several Summer & Winter Olympics and never seen the "orgy" scene, but don't disbelieve that it couldn't happen. More importantly, only at an Olympics have I seen the kind of large-scale international mixing of cultures and magnanimous camaraderie amongst athletes of every sport. That is something no partisan-ridden Ryder Cup produces, nor any other PGA event. I could easily see how "cool" Golf could look if it's younger ambassadors spent some period (maybe not weeks) indoctrinating themselves to the Olympic experience. My guess is that would appear very appealing to today's millennials.

With all due respect, I'd submit that your statement about a poor Indian or African sounds rather silly and borderline ignorant. Neither of those regions has ever been identified as any swimming powerhouse, but tell that to those Indian athletes who've medaled in shooting, wrestling, or track & field, or those African's who've dominated the podium for long-distance running for decades. I'm fairly certain their chances for education and a higher standard of living are damn near great in their respective country(s). I suspect their medal winners are treated quite well in their homelands.

The masquerade of PGA contributions to charity hidden in your rather snarky question of swimming's ability to raise money remains quite weak. Swimming is an amateur-driven sport and doesn't pretend to operate deep within the corporate cornucopia that is today's PGA tour.

PS.....Never heard of Michael Phelps?, Ian Thorp?, or Mark Spitz?...really?? ::)

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »
Steve:

As I think you know, I'd agree completely regarding the article. Perhaps Rio wasn't the best place to test drive golf as an Olympic sport (save for, as you said, the fact that the golf world got Gil's course out of the deal)?

And when we get right down to it, isn't this all another way of questioning whether professionals (in any sport) belong in the olympics?

Jon
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 10:04:42 PM »
Has anyone any evidence that the Olympics "grow" anything (other than IOC members)? Decades of gymnastics and fencing and bobsledding and diving and javelin throwing and water polo and hockey and volleyball and downhill skiing and not one sign of growth (for whatever "growth" is worth in the first place) in any of them, or in any other sport I can think of. The Olympics have been largely irrelevant for a long time, save for those few athletes who make a name for themselves and for the ever-growing number of officials from the various national sporting associations; we just haven't really noticed it yet. The likelihood of the 226th ranked golfer in the world winning an Olympic gold won't help make the case for relevancy.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 10:16:58 PM »
Speaking of reading comprehension (and for that matter snarkiness), at least you named one CURRENT (sort of)  swimmer. (unless the other two are coming out of retirement as well)

Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player are not entitled to or supposed to speak of growing the game and have to defend themselves to David who? (and I'm not really a "grow the game" drum beater)

As far as opportunities in poorer countries, I'm not suggesting Olympian caliber athletes struggle to find education and opportunity.
I have no idea how suggesting India and Africa are not swimming powerhouses supports your stance, they're not golf powerhouses either. To deny them golf aspirations/dreams while encouraging shooting, swimming, and multiple other pursuits just because some ex swimmer thinks so seems downright narrow minded.

I am suggesting that association with a golf club in such countries will more likely lead to further life opportunity than swimming for the majority who don't become Olympians.
What right does he have to state that golf will "never" filter down to the poorer people.Of course it's far less likely, but without courses and dreams it's impossible.
I could be wrong however as perhaps more deals are consummated with ear plugs in and bathing caps on than I am aware of.

I can't speak for swimming,and PGA Tour golf is no doubt quite corporate.(but let's not get started on the joke that is the Olympic machine)
But that doesn't reduce the amount of money raised by golf and golfers(not just the PGA TOUR), and the MANY charities it aids.

Isn't it hypocritical of a "fervent" golfer to state that golf courses in other countries will damage the environment while continuing to play the game himself?

Live and let live.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 10:39:42 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 10:25:12 PM »
The Olympics have always grown Track and Field. I didn't learn the Fosbury Flop from the Penn Relays.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 10:30:37 PM »
 ;)
Luckily for Mr Fosbury, we soon afterwards took up golf instead

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2016, 10:53:51 PM »
The Olympics have always grown Track and Field. I didn't learn the Fosbury Flop from the Penn Relays.

I thought that was you I saw over at Franklin Field yesterday.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2016, 11:17:34 PM »
Spending millions of dollars to build a golf course, that will likely have little purpose after the competition, while millions of Brazilians suffer in poverty, seems a poor use of national resources.

John,

You do know that the course was privately funded - essentially for the right to develop the west portion.

Nope, I did not know that.

Sometimes you comment on stuff that you don't know enough about and end up looking like an asshole.  It happens.

With that said, it will be a shame if the new golf course has little/no purpose after the games are completed.  If I'm not mistaken, twelve stadiums were built in Brazil to host the 2014 World Cup (for $3B), and many of these stadiums quickly fell into disuse or disrepair.

http://www.businessinsider.com/brazil-world-cup-stadiums-one-year-later-2015-5

I'm happy for those who were able to build the course, but I'll be mad if it doesn't get put into general service after the games.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 11:46:05 PM »
Golf in the Olympics certainly pricked something in a tender place. I don't necessarily agree with everything he said but I do get his point. For a swimmer the Olympics is the pinnacle. To win a golf medal is the zenith of a career. For a touring pro who measures his career in majors the Olypmics is nice but not what he dreams about. I wonder how many tour pros will stay in the Olympic Village? Personally, I look forward to both Winter and Summer Olypmics. I will DVR them and watch much of it. I probably will watch golf in the Olypmics but not go out of my way to see it. I never thought golf, tennis, basketball, or hockey belongs in the Olypmics. They are more of a distraction, a step up from synchronized swimming.

As for growing the game, the Olypmics is about competition.

Tommy,

I'm with you and was never thrilled with the idea of golf in the Olympics. Seems like being in the Olympics will drag the sport into more politics and not really help grow the game.

But, I could be wrong. Time will tell.
Tim Weiman

Niall C

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 07:34:57 AM »
I generally agree with Wilkies comments although might have expressed them slightly differently but then perhaps not. The Olympic gold medal should be the pinnacle of any Olympic sport but clearly that's not the case with golf as you have a number of top players looking to not get involved. In that respect Wilkie is correct, the inclusion of golf does cheapen the Olympics, and it's debatable as to what golfs inclusion will do for the game.

As for the comment about not being an Olympian just because you stayed in the Olympic village for two weeks, I also get where he's coming from. The Olympics is something you build for over a number of years, not just something that happens to be on this years schedule as a bit of a novelty.

Niall

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »
Has anyone any evidence that the Olympics "grow" anything (other than IOC members)? Decades of gymnastics and fencing and bobsledding and diving and javelin throwing and water polo and hockey and volleyball and downhill skiing and not one sign of growth (for whatever "growth" is worth in the first place) in any of them, or in any other sport I can think of.

Stop reading the press!

The Olympics inspired Special Olympics (started by Eunice Kennedy Shriver) which my younger son has participated in, and he will participate in swimming next year. Now, Paralympics (separate from Special Olympics) is side by side in the USOC's charter:

http://www.teamusa.org/about-the-usoc/inside-the-usoc

My younger son is a member of Achilles Track Club and he trains with many Paralympians on Saturdays in Central Park (NYC). It's awesome.

Via my older son, I watched Squash lose out to Golf in this 2016 Olympic rotation. For a sport like Squash, it would have brought lots of USOC money to the sport for the top athletes here, and many other countries where Squash is big (Pakistan and Egypt to name two). That would have freed up money down the line for younger players.

Golf really did not need the Olympics, but it will probably do well on TV. We all know that TV drives these decisions these days. Squash is similar to hockey (for me). Great sport in person, not so great on TV.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 11:45:05 AM »
The Olympics in general has been a corrupt and massively twasteful institution for quite awhile now.

Look at the venues in ruins from Sochi, China, Greece, etc.....there is no doubt all of these countries could have used these resources a lot better and its no different in Brazil.

However, to single out golf is absurd....it certainly didn't start the fire!

P.S.  Peter P is exactly right as usual.  The Olympics is terribly irrelevant as the only time most of these sports get any air time is for a few hours once every 4 years.

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 02:29:23 PM »
Hopefully the next Olympics will have a 6 hole one handed division so that they can give out dozens of medals like swimming.

Best golfer ? One gold medal.
Swimming? Multiple distances and multiple strokes (and don't forget relays of various combos)
Wilkie has as much credibility as the men's left handed 9 hole 1976 US Open Champion ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:37:48 PM by jeffwarne »

David Davis

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
Didn't read all the replies, short on time at the moment. However, the main issue I see here unfortunately started long ago when they began to let professional athletes into the Olympics. Ridiculous! Bunch of spoiled millionaires playing for their countries. I'm not sure if it was basketball or another sport that started it but when we put together the first Dream Team with Jordan, Magic and all these amazing basketball players to go play all the amateur best of other countries the Olympics took a serious downturn.

Golf in the Olympics is great, I'm all for it. Professional athletes, while they probably sell tickets, advertising and tv rights just shouldn't be allowed.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 03:09:58 PM »
Hopefully the next Olympics will have a 6 hole one handed division so that they can give out dozens of medals like swimming.

Best golfer ? One gold medal.
Swimming? Multiple distances and multiple strokes.
Wilke has as much credibility as the left handed 9 hole 1976 US Open Champion ;D ;D

Jeff,

Excellent.  A few more categories for golf.

Left and Rightie for each:
72 hole Champ
36 hole Champ
18 hole Champ
9 hole Champ
Putting champ
9 clubs-in-the-bag-champ
3 clubs-in-the-bag-champ
Par 3s only champ
Par 4s only champ
Par 5s only champ

That's 10 categories, 2 champs each for 60 Medals total at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.  And that's probably only half of how many medals they hand out to the swimmers!!  ;D

MClutterbuck

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 03:11:57 PM »
David Wilkie is plain ignorant about many of the matters he talks about in this article and is close to being a racist. This is one more in a series of idiotic comments about golf in Brazil. He only missed the moronic "they should have played it at Gavea".

1. There is a huge high and middle-high income segment in Brazil that can benefit from a public course. In Rio and surrounding areas only there has to be more than 1 million people that can afford golf.

2. Rio and Brasil in general need golf courses to attract tourism. The golf course if well managed could be a large boost to tourism in Brazil at a time they need it.

3. Contrary to another Olympic pool/stadium and much of the infrastruture created around Olympics and even Swimming competitions, the golf course will serve a clear purpose after completion of the games.

4. Athletes, no matter how professional, and no matter how important other tournaments they play in are relataive to the Olympics, are Olympians. Tell Manu Ginobili that he is not an Olympic Golf Medealist or an Olympian because he has 4 NBA rings and at the age of 38 will return to the Olympics after trying to get his 5th ring.

5. Tell Spieth he is not an Olympian because he will sleep away from the Olympic Village most nights he is at the games?

6. Tell excellent African and Indian golfers their countrymen are not "entitled" to have good golf courses.

7. Why does Scotland have the right to build hundreds of golf courses in a small country and Brazil and India can´t have a few dozen courses in huge countries if built responsibly?

8. Isn´t a privately funded golf course designed and built by Hanse, presumably under very strict guidelines with respect to what is appropriate environmentally better than a dump?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back