News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Malcolm Mckinnon

A par 3

Tee view

DSC01161 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr

Green view

DSC01162 by Malcolm Mckinnon, on Flickr
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 10:56:40 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Tim_Weiman

I don't know, but it looks like something the Good Doctor might have done. Love the view from the tee.
Tim Weiman

mike_beene

I guess it is too early to be Maxwell.

Geoff Chin

Mackenzie at Hadley Wood GC?

Jon Wiggett

My first thought was Mackenzie as it looks very similar to the first at Headingly in Leeds though that is a par 4.

Jason Topp

Tough to tell the angle of the creek from the pictures but it immediately made me think of 12 at Augusta.

Ronald Montesano

Harry Colt
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Niall C

Looks like par 3 by MacKenzie at Pitreavie, Dunfermline. If FBD wasn't in the US I'm sure he'd be first to confirm. Note how Mac hid the burn from the tee with the front side higher than the back. He did the same trick elsewhere at Pitreavie and other Scottish courses.

Niall

Malcolm Mckinnon

Niall,

You have it!

Dr. Alister Mackenzie's 12th at Pitreavie.

An early template for the 12th at Augusta.

MCirba

Very cool.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Rich Goodale

The next hole is even better.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Malcolm Mckinnon

And I have that one as well!

Will post a photo tour this week sometime.

RJ_Daley

very clever pick up that it may be an early formulation of the 12th at Augusta.  But I wonder if also original 7th now 16 in its original configuration might have been a conceptual result.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ronald Montesano

A template for the 12th in what way?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Niall C

Rich

Does this hole not remind you of the par 3 over the stream at Dalmunzie ? Clearly there is no hiding the water at Dalmunzie but the basic concept seems similar, no ?

Niall

Tim_Weiman

Malcolm,

Having trouble seeing the hole on Google Earth. What is the actual name of the club? Is it off Queensferry Road?

Thx.
Tim Weiman

Rich Goodale

Rich

Does this hole not remind you of the par 3 over the stream at Dalmunzie ? Clearly there is no hiding the water at Dalmunzie but the basic concept seems similar, no ?

Niall

I'd agree, Niall, but I'm still not sure that MacKenzie spent a lot of time at Dalmunzie.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Thomas Dai

Has a kind of resemblance, in reverse, to the original short par-3 7th hole, now numbered the 16th and completely changed, at ANGC.
Atb

(Photo from http://www.masters.com/en_US/news/gallery/2015-04-06/1935_course_imagery.html)

Clyde Johnson

Mmm...I made it onto Pitreavie's 18th last weekend...sadly it was with my football boots and not golf sticks.

The 10th, 17th, and 18th didn't look up to much, but perhaps its worth a proper go!?

Marty Bonnar

Finally got batteries charged and on the Dodd's Wi-Fi. Pitreavie it is. The good doctor (and a wee bit of the FBD) there!
Worth a play to see the awesome greens and tees complex in the north east corner of the site. Genius.
Aloha from Hawaii!
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall C

Rich

Niall

I'd agree, Niall, but I'm still not sure that MacKenzie spent a lot of time at Dalmunzie.

Rich

Indeed, we still can't find any mention of MacKenzie other than "someone thought...."

The fact that Tom Simpson listed a private course for the guy that owned Dalmunzie seemed to knock on the head any MacKenzie involvement however that hole still shouts out MacKenzie to me.

Niall

V. Kmetz

very clever pick up that it may be an early formulation of the 12th at Augusta.  But I wonder if also original 7th now 16 in its original configuration might have been a conceptual result.

Agree, but I'd like to know the distance and see some more pics...the truth is those original ANGC holes (now 12 and 16) were fairly similar in their basic tenets, and perhaps it shows a Mackenzie predilection for the style of a "diagonal carry over something (here, thin stream)"

cheers
vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Malcolm Mckinnon

The address is...

Pitreavie Golf Club
Queensferry Rd, Dunfermline KY11 8PR, United Kingdom [/size][/size]

Save

[/size]

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back