News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JimFatsi

Re: Pinehurst Trip Recommendations
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2016, 04:46:05 PM »
Play #2 twice, and #4, The Dormie Club in that order.  Request the center table at the Holly Inn for dinner one of the evenings.  Special! 

Andrew Buck

« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2016, 09:57:22 AM »
Probably as good of place as any to throw this out for a little advice unique to this year. 

Our group consists of two scratch golfers that have interest in architecture, my dad a superintendent of over 40 years who cares about conditioning and watching the grounds crew at Pinehurst, and our friend, a 15 handicap who highlighted the trip by bringing down the house on Tuesday night karaoke at Dugans (but prefers Brown Deer to Blue Mound in Milwaukee).  Last year we hit the majors, Dormie, PN, TR, MP (X2), #2.  Everyone enjoyed all the golf, except TR as the tail end of a 36 hole day in 100 degree heat and a 5:30 pace of play. 

This year, the only time we can make the trip is June 26 - 29, which presents a couple potential issues.  The North South Am is being conducted in the mornings on #2 (but should have PM availability), MP is closed for aerification Sun - Tues and PN is closing Tuesday for the Green conversion.  In addition, Dormie and SP will have had greens aerified the week prior.  Therefore, this is a trip to try some courses we might not otherwise, so I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts that might not appeal to the most ardent GCA guys, but might appeal to our ragtag group this summer, from Mid South, to Legacy to Pinewild?

Right now, the plan would be to make basic attempts at access through our club pro (and my Dad) at Forest Creek (with CCNC being one course down), and maybe Hope Valley on getaway day.  I think we will have one day that is #8 in the AM and #1 in the afternoon for a change of pace.  The two scratch golfers will try to play #2 in the afternoon of the North South (if tee times are available at 30 days out), and likely add one of Dormie or Pine Needles (both depending on access to others). 

The food suggestions have been great, and depending on heat, foregoing a round for some time on thistle dhu is potentially in order. 

PCCraig

« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2016, 12:06:57 PM »
Probably as good of place as any to throw this out for a little advice unique to this year. 

Our group consists of two scratch golfers that have interest in architecture, my dad a superintendent of over 40 years who cares about conditioning and watching the grounds crew at Pinehurst, and our friend, a 15 handicap who highlighted the trip by bringing down the house on Tuesday night karaoke at Dugans (but prefers Brown Deer to Blue Mound in Milwaukee).  Last year we hit the majors, Dormie, PN, TR, MP (X2), #2.  Everyone enjoyed all the golf, except TR as the tail end of a 36 hole day in 100 degree heat and a 5:30 pace of play. 

This year, the only time we can make the trip is June 26 - 29, which presents a couple potential issues.  The North South Am is being conducted in the mornings on #2 (but should have PM availability), MP is closed for aerification Sun - Tues and PN is closing Tuesday for the Green conversion.  In addition, Dormie and SP will have had greens aerified the week prior.  Therefore, this is a trip to try some courses we might not otherwise, so I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts that might not appeal to the most ardent GCA guys, but might appeal to our ragtag group this summer, from Mid South, to Legacy to Pinewild?

Right now, the plan would be to make basic attempts at access through our club pro (and my Dad) at Forest Creek (with CCNC being one course down), and maybe Hope Valley on getaway day.  I think we will have one day that is #8 in the AM and #1 in the afternoon for a change of pace.  The two scratch golfers will try to play #2 in the afternoon of the North South (if tee times are available at 30 days out), and likely add one of Dormie or Pine Needles (both depending on access to others). 

The food suggestions have been great, and depending on heat, foregoing a round for some time on thistle dhu is potentially in order.

Andrew,

Try to get on the North Course at Forest Creek. It's really good and worth the effort.
H.P.S.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2016, 03:03:44 PM »
Mid South's greens looked to be on life support a couple of weeks ago. They will convert to Bermuda next year but have to do Talamore this year as they are apparently in worse shape.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Andrew Buck

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2016, 03:54:51 PM »
Mid South's greens looked to be on life support a couple of weeks ago. They will convert to Bermuda next year but have to do Talamore this year as they are apparently in worse shape.

Seems like almost every course in the area is migrating to Bermuda.  Is there any time of year that the bent greens play better in that area? 

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2016, 05:10:10 PM »
Bent greens can play quite well throughout the year but it takes a very special greens superintendent to pull it off. I would suggest you try and play Raleigh CC as your getaway course - really good course with bent grass greens - credited to Ross which it certainly appears to be and well restored by Richard Mandell although some question its Ross credentials. Nothing is impossible as I understand that Colonial in Forth Worth, Texas has bent grass greens.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2016, 06:46:02 PM »

Seems like almost every course in the area is migrating to Bermuda.  Is there any time of year that the bent greens play better in that area?

Pine Needles bent greens have been outstanding recently. Last summer left the grass with severely compromised root systems that have improved through the mild winter and spring.  Last summer they were barely hanging on. Long hours by the greens crew kept them  playable and looking good while being on the verge of loss.
Bent play best in cooler weather and climates.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back