News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Taylor

A new article on The Loop at FD was written by Erik Matuszewski and was posted on Forbes / SportsMoney this morning. Please find link below.

"Golf Outside The Box: A Reversible 18-Hole Course Is Set To Make Waves In Michigan"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikmatuszewski/2016/04/15/golf-outside-the-box-a-reversible-18-hole-course-is-set-to-make-waves-in-michigan/#7c2fe8a127e1
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Peter Pallotta

Re: Reversible 18-Hole Course Is Set To Make Waves In Michigan
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 04:26:19 PM »
Thanks for the link, Ryan.

I'm pleased to read about this course in particular - and not only because it is close enough to my home to drive to. It strikes me as a wonderful marriage of art (of the gca kind) and commerce (of the affordable/not so high end kind). 

I think Tom's course will indeed make waves, both because I'd bet quite a bit that the reversible course will be a joy to play in either direction, and because it is part of a sane and affordable getaway where the golfer of average means can spend one night in a reasonably priced lodge and play 3 rounds of golf in two days: the Loop one way in the morning, Forest Dunes in the afternoon, and the alternate Loop the next morning.

There must be many many other golfers like me for whom a Streamsong or a Bandon (not to mention Tom's exemplary private courses in America and New Zealand etc) are a luxury we simply can't in good conscience afford to enjoy; but for whom a golf-trip to 3 excellent courses in a lovely setting that is accessible and not "exclusively" priced is something that can be undertaken gladly, and more than once.

Not everything has to be a bucket list experience. I think Tom and the client have hit a home run here.

Peter     
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:28:45 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 04:46:07 PM »
The greens fee when the course opens this season will be $99. That’s a special preview rate, as the fee jumps next year to $149, the same as at Forest Dunes.

This immediately jumps to one of the best values anywhere doesn't it? I would expect very full tee sheets. Can't wait to go see it.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Rick Emerson

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 08:16:35 AM »
The article says it is set for a summer opening. Is there a definite opening date yet? I will be in Michigan in early July and would really like to include this in my itinerary.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »
The article says it is set for a summer opening. Is there a definite opening date yet? I will be in Michigan in early July and would really like to include this in my itinerary.

There is not a definite opening date yet, as far as I know ... it depends on conditions.  The intent has been to open at least some of the holes at the end of June, following their member-guest.  [There are a few legacy members left over from the original developer's deal.]  The first five and last five holes make a nice little loop, until the whole thing is ready.

I'll be over there in a week to see where they stand and will report back if any dates have been set in stone.

Rick Emerson

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 10:07:35 AM »
Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing back.

Ronald Montesano

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 02:17:51 PM »
Too bad these two are 3.5 hours apart. Be nice to see the two courses (Stoatin Brae and The Loop) built by the same guys (more or less) at similar points in time:

It's not that bad of a drive; Eric and Brian Schneider made it several times last summer.  But I don't think Stoatin Brae will be ready for golfers until the very end of summer; construction there was a month or two behind The Loop the whole way through last year.

Steve Lang

Re: Reversible 18-Hole Course Is Set To Make Waves In Michigan New
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 07:36:07 PM »
 8)  Ronald,

Be better to play FD and then The Black Forest at Wilderness Valley SW of Gaylord...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 10:07:49 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2016, 11:10:21 PM »
8)  Ronald,

Be better to play FD and then The Black Forest at Wilderness Valley SE of Gaylord...

And then make the Kingsley - Crystal Downs loop!  😀😀

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back