News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David McIntosh

New member introduction
« on: April 11, 2016, 05:29:32 PM »
Hi all,

My name is David McIntosh, I'm a new member to the discussion group and thought I should introduce myself before starting to post.

I live in Edinburgh and am a member at North Berwick GC and Royal Burgess GS. I've been playing golf since 2010 when I joined my first club as an adult member, Duddingston GC, and have been hooked on all things golf ever since.

I've been a frequent reader of the board for many years now having initally been drawn to the site by the excellent courses by country profiles before finding my way to the discussion group. I'm excited to now be able to participate in the discussion and continuing to learn about GCA as a member of the site.

Many thanks to Ran for allowing me to join the group and I look forward to meeting up with fellow GCAers for a few games in the future.

David

Bill_McBride

Re: New member introduction
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 05:40:13 PM »
It's too bad we didn't know you when our threesome was in North Berwick last May, would have been fun to meet and play a round on one of my most favorite courses.  We also enjoyed a visit with Archie Baird in his wee museum in Gullane. 

Cheers
Bill

David McIntosh

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 05:54:57 PM »
That's a shame because I would have been on here reading from afar this time last year. I haven't made it to Archie Baird's museum yet, despite passing it every other week. I really ought to arrange a visit as I've only ever heard good things about it.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 06:33:25 PM »
Hi David,

Duddingston GC is just down the road from where I live. It's a really interesting old course and you've got one of the nicest guys as your club pro in Alastair McLean. Welcome to GCA and hope our paths may cross one day.

Regards,

Scott

David McIntosh

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 07:03:59 PM »
Hi Scott,

I used to live around 10 minutes away from Duddingston when I was a member there however I moved to the other side of Edinburgh a few years ago now and reluctantly had to give up my membership. Duddingston is definitely one of the better courses in the city and I always enjoyed playing there. It's probably good for my handicap that I don't have to play that stretch from 11-13 on a regular basis however - very tough.

I completely agree with you about Al McLean - he's a terrific guy and a great teacher too.

Thanks for the welcome, hopefully we can catch up for a game at some point.

David

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 07:31:10 PM »
Welcome David!
You just reminded me that remodeling a couple of Tees at Duddingston was one of my first jobs. Near the clubhouse on two holes that played away from each other if I recall correctly.
Happy days...
Cheers,
Martin.
PS we'll keep you posted for any upcoming games in the neighbourhood. (I'm over on the good side of the Forth!)
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 04:02:26 AM »
Welcome, David.  We've been talking about organising more get togethers of Scottish based GCAers (we had one at Gullane in January) and it would be great to see you if you could make one.  I'm not actually either Scottish, or Scottish based but have a wife from Edinburgh, a home in Newcastle and am a member of Elie, so I nearly qualify.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Graham

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 04:17:03 AM »
Welcome David.

About time we had more Edinburgh based members. I'm a member at the far less genteel Mortonhall while also being on the waiting list for North Berwick. I'm a southsider at heart but do work on your side of town in Granton. Hopefully we can get a game oragnised once spring finally arrives.

Having missed the Clan Gathering at Gullane in January I'm looking forward to part II.

Michael

David McIntosh

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 04:35:08 AM »
Martin,

Assuming it wasn't the first tee you remodelled then I think it would have been the 3rd (long par 4 heading back towards the clubhouse) and the 4th (par 5 with a burn around 50 yards short of the green heading east and away from the clubhouse) which run parallel to each other.

Many thanks for the offer, would be good if you could keep me in the loop for any local games. Good side of the Forth though...I'm not sure about that!  ;)

Cheers,
David

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 04:50:34 AM »
Welcome to the group David. If you ever get up to the Inverness area drop me a line. Do make the effort to see Archie's museum it is a fascinating visit.

Jon

David McIntosh

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 05:07:59 AM »
Mark,

I read about the last GCA gathering in January with interest before I joined so would be good to get along to the next one. I've played Elie a couple of times in recent years and loved it.

Michael,

It was one of my better decisions to join North Berwick. I'm now in my 4th year as a member there and it really is a great place to play your golf, even more so as a member. Hopefully you don't spend too long on the waiting list. Despite living in Leith for a few years I never made it out to Mortonhall, most of my golfing experience in the Lothians is on the courses down the coast.

I work in the city centre but don't live far from Granton at all. I'm still waiting on spring turning up however let's try to get something arranged when it does.

David

Tim Gallant

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 07:27:30 AM »
Welcome David!

Because I know David won't tell this story himself, I will recall:

In our first round together two weeks ago, we were paired in a medal at NB. We stepped to the 6th tee, a sweet little par-3 playing slightly into the wind and had roughly 160 pin. David measured up his shot, took a massive rip and BANG, ball goes screaming off the clubface and never reaches 10 feet of lift. It starts tracking towards the front bunker and in my mind I thought, 'no chance that clears'.

Not only did it clear, but it took a solid hop, and landed on the front part of the green, still a good 50 feet from the pin. But there was such a top-spin that the ball started tracking....and tracking....and tracking. Until it reached the bottom of the cup!! Needless to say, it was a perfect measure.

If any of you make it to NB, may I recommend playing the 6th with what we are now calling the 'McIntosh'? :)

Welcome again DM. Speak soon.

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 10:38:01 AM »
Welcome David!
H.P.S.

David McIntosh

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 03:33:49 PM »
Jon,

Many thanks for the welcome. I'll be sure to give you a shout if I'm ever visiting Inverness and will make a point of going to see Archie's museum this summer.

PCraig,

Thank you, it's much appreciated.

Tim,

Good to hear from you and I definitely don't mind you recalling that shot on the 6th from a couple of weeks ago! I'd love to say I intentionally flighted a beautiful shot underneath the wind (which it actually turned out to be) but let's just say sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Speak to you soon.

Colin Shellard

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 09:06:23 AM »
Hello David,

seems there are more Scottish based members than I realised! I'm an Englishman living up in Aberdeen, so if you ever up this way then don't hesitate to drop me a line I'd be delighted to host at RAGC or Newmachar.

I played NB just the once with a country member some years go and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'd certainly be up for a meet up and a game too.

Col

David McIntosh

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 08:02:44 AM »
Colin,

Thanks for the kind offer, I'll definitely get in touch if I ever find myself in the Aberdeen area. I've played Royal Aberdeen just the once too a few years ago and had a great time. The front nine is every bit as good as everyone says it is and I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the back nine, which doesn't always get the credit it deserves.

I haven't played at Newmachar yet but have heard lots of good things about the Hawkshill course in particular.

Give me a shout if you're down this way, would be good to meet up for a game sometime.

David

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back