News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

noonan

Only 4 people under par. To defend the course golf has become borderline unrecognizable.

Not enough roars.

Someone had to backup to determine a winner.

Gimme some birdies!

Ryan Coles

Birdies shouldn't be given.

Casey and Willett earned theirs. If you want roars, go to the waste management open.

BCowan

Birdies shouldn't be given.

Casey and Willett earned theirs. If you want roars, go to the waste management open.

+1, My God, I thought the greens were way too soft.  Firm and slow em down. 

noonan

2016 - 4 players under par

1990 - 13 players under par

BHoover

Spieth had birdied the final 4 holes on the front nine. There were three aces. Willett shot 67. I'd say the setup was difficult but very playable.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:35:56 PM by Brian Hoover »

David_Tepper

Jerry K. -

Spieth had seven (7!) birdies on his card today. Lack of birdies was not his problem.

Willett and Casey had 5 birdies each. Westwood had 4 birds and an eagle. Amateur Romain Lagasque also had 5 birds.

How many more do you want?

DT
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:39:09 PM by David_Tepper »

Ryan Coles

I know it's a strange concept for some to grasp. The winning score should be variable depending on conditions. There was a nice breeze this week.

Matthew Essig

I know it's a strange concept for some to grasp. The winning score should be variable depending on conditions. There was a nice breeze this week.

+1

Jerry K. -

Spieth had seven (7!) birdies on his card today. Lack of birdies was not his problem.

Willett and Casey had 5 birdies each. Westwood had 4 birds and an eagle.

How many more do you want?

DT

+1
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Tommy Williamsen

Gotta five it to Jordan, allowing himself to be interviewed after play. I can't imagine what is going on inside him. It has to be a crushing blow, but he had been fighting his swing the last couple of days.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Bourgeois

Best US Open in years!!
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

noonan

noonan

1980 - 19 players under par

BCowan

So was the fairway height cut to blame for Spieth's chunk in the water?  Was the tee box to blame for his tee shot?  What in the setup at #12 caused Spieth to make a 7?  What did he shoot on the front, the harder 9?

Rick Shefchik

Winner shot 67 on Sunday. Spieth made 7 on a par 3. That's your story.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mark Pearce

Three Englishmen shot 67 today.  The course can't have been set up that hard.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

noonan

So was the fairway height cut to blame for Spieth's chunk in the water?  Was the tee box to blame for his tee shot?  What in the setup at #12 caused Spieth to make a 7?  What did he shoot on the front, the harder 9?

In my OP I said the course setup. If it were no so severe he would have won. The general course setup. We can all say 16 was easy.

BHoover

In two months you'll get to complain about the setup at Oakmont being too difficult as well.

Ryan Coles

1980 - 19 players under par

Compare some scoring at Birkdale, Turnberry and Sandwich.

Roar louder for people who aren't Phil and you'll be fine.

They should have let poor little Jordan win.

MClutterbuck

Only 4 people under par. To defend the course golf has become borderline unrecognizable.

Not enough roars.

Someone had to backup to determine a winner.

Gimme some birdies!

Come on, this was a factor of wind, not set up. People there tell me they have not seen 3 days of wind like this in 30 years. With less wind scores would have been much, much lower.

And the meltdown was Spieth not trusting his C game swing. And golf.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:59:34 PM by MClutterbuck »

BCowan

In my OP I said the course setup. If it were no so severe he would have won. The general course setup. We can all say 16 was easy.

Spieth had seven (7!) birdies on his card today.  How many birdies is he suppose to make in a major championship?  Please elaborate on what way the course was set up? 

Sean_A

The setup was pretty standard.  I think its the combo of green speeds & firmness with 15ish mph wind which made things a bit dull on Friday & Saturday.  No complaints today...tons of birdies were made. 

Isn't the sub-air system, type of grass and intense maintenance all about superfast greens?  If people crave for lower scoring they should be craving for slower greens.

Speith was cruisn' for a bruisin' eventually.  He didn't hit the ball very well in truth and when he did go off line he was incredibly lucky with having plays.  Bottom line, Speith didn't play well enough to win and that had nothing to do with putting.  So no, the course set up was not to blame for the meltdown...as if it ever could be anyway.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 08:35:30 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Matthew Rose

If Spieth simply knocks his drop into the middle of the green and two-putts for a five, he probably still wins and nobody has this conversation.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

jeffwarne

3 days of high winds.
Then opposite wind today.
Having a hard time taking this thread seriously.And if difficult conditions caused  the blowup, so what?
He was hanging by a thread all week.Good on him but eventually it caught up to him.
Hard to make a putt underwater
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Wade Whitehead

Par the shortest par three and win the Masters.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back