News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re: OT Where is Clifford Roberts when you need him?
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »
With Danny Willet's win, we are one step closer to a sleeve tattoo hoisting a major championship trophy.

And golf will be much better for it.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »
Bob Huntley should give the interviews.

He's the only person I can think of with the sheer gravitas commiserate with the occasion. 

Josh Stevens

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2016, 05:23:21 AM »
There is a difference between club golf and pro golf

In club golf ( at least where I am from) you don't bother to remove your hat to shake hands after the the round (that is regarded as just a recent Tiger Woods era affectation) but by God if you are caught with a hat on in the clubhouse its very expensive when you have to shout the bar.

Perhaps an example of bifurcation.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2016, 06:38:47 AM »
Good manners require men to remove hats indoors. Every golf club requires it and the pros should set the example, not be excused.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2016, 11:46:18 AM »
Cary,

I can't argue against it as desirable manner.  But when compared to a list of all the manners and things one should do on a scale of 1 to 10, (1 being the most important), it ranks at about 9.9.  And I certainly don't espouse Ran's "breakdown of society" viewpoint on it. As to golf related manners, I can think of dozens of others that would be more important, yet often overlooked.

Zack Molnar

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »
There is a difference between club golf and pro golf

In club golf ( at least where I am from) you don't bother to remove your hat to shake hands after the the round (that is regarded as just a recent Tiger Woods era affectation) but by God if you are caught with a hat on in the clubhouse its very expensive when you have to shout the bar.

Perhaps an example of bifurcation.

My time in golf does not extend back before the TW era, but I am pretty sure taking your hat off to shake your playing partners hands is not a recent phenomenon. Taking off, or tipping, your hat when greeting someone is a very old tradition as a sign of respect

Josh Stevens

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 09:48:23 PM »
Perhaps a cultural difference, or more my age, but I seemed to notice it becoming more prevalent about the TW era.

Certainly as a youngster we never did it and I grew up in proper clubs, and even now its rare to see the old lads at my club do it, although the kids seem to have picked up the habit. You wear a hat for  reason and I really don't want to shake someone's greasy hand that they have just run through their sweaty hair.  I have looked at numerous old you tube clips of majors and other significant events, and its fairly common to see the old greats of the game leave their hats on when shaking hands on the home green.

I'm sure some diligent person will do the work and come up with a time when and where  it first started to catch on.

But in the clubhouse however, whoa that's a hangin offence.

Josh Stevens

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:40 PM »
As noted by George Washington in his Rules of Civility and Decent Behaviour in Company and Conversation

"In Pulling off your Hat to Persons of Distinction, as Noblemen, Justices, Churchmen etc. make a Reverence, bowing more or less according to the Custom of the Better Bred, and Quality of the Person. Amongst your equals expect not always that they Should begin with you first, but to Pull off the Hat when there is no need is Affectation....."

Confess not entirely current..

Bill_McBride

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2016, 07:32:36 PM »
As noted by George Washington in his Rules of Civility and Decent Behaviour in Company and Conversation

"In Pulling off your Hat to Persons of Distinction, as Noblemen, Justices, Churchmen etc. make a Reverence, bowing more or less according to the Custom of the Better Bred, and Quality of the Person. Amongst your equals expect not always that they Should begin with you first, but to Pull off the Hat when there is no need is Affectation....."

Confess not entirely current..

He forgot the part about knuckling the forehead.

Steve Lang

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2016, 08:16:37 PM »
 8)  and the belly bump amongst some groups...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Sean_A

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2016, 08:33:14 PM »
Life would be much simpler if we all assume, until proven otherwise, that every would be slight of mannerism is not meant as a personal insult.  Someone takes off their hat or not doesn't matter a jot to me.  I don't want to dress people or tell them how to wear (or not) the clothes they chose.  It doesn't mean I have to like what people wear etc, but so what if I don't...I will survive just as will you people who seem offended by the placement of a cap. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2016, 12:00:48 AM »
Life would be much simpler if we all assume, until proven otherwise, that every would be slight of mannerism is not meant as a personal insult.  Someone takes off their hat or not doesn't matter a jot to me.  I don't want to dress people or tell them how to wear (or not) the clothes they chose.  It doesn't mean I have to like what people wear etc, but so what if I don't...I will survive just as will you people who seem offended by the placement of a cap. 

Ciao
Yeah, that's pretty much the way I feel. I like taking my cap off to shake hands after a round, but I don't care if you don't.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back