News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

NIce changes at Pine Valley
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:47:36 AM »
 8)

Was so happy to get a quick tour of some new goings on architecturally at my favorite spot , PINE VALLEY !

Didn't have time to see everything as it was late in the day , but what I did see was way cool. More sand visible all over the place , waste areas on 6, 7 ( hells half acre) look really nice . Subtle but highly effective .

New tee on # 6.

New tee stretches a short par four that was arguably the easiest on the front nine. Now the tee shot from the tips is really challenging in that the angle is changed . Looks so much tighter , a visual deception that works superbly.  The carry in the far corner has gone from approximately 230 to 280 , and it works.  The club actually tore down a house to affect this change. Golf comes first here!

Some mixed emotions here as to build this tee they took down what was known as Ewing House. . Alec Ewing was a mentor to me ,  a part of the firmament !  His home was full of golf and good karma but perhaps it's best with his passing no one takes his place there.

Just golf now, he just might like that!

On number nine they have taken many trees down behind the left green . Many here have wished for this and it's great . When you stand on the back of the green you feel like you are on top of a little mountain . Awesome improvement to one of the best holes! The green is so hard to read , it's one of the best.

Just a start but more was done , some subtle changes to 16 and 17.  All good.  I was impressed.

Sound  like a sycophant , but those who know me .......lol.  I've been to Pine Valley perhaps close to 1500 times , yet when I saw it yesterday , as bright sun was streaming after a shower . It's just so damn glorious it took my breath away.  If you ever get a chance to visit run don't walk . It is a true haven !

« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:10:59 PM by archie_struthers »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: NIce changes at Pine Valley
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 08:11:35 AM »
8)

I've been to Pine Valley perhaps close to 1500 times ,

Are you the postman?

(ignore me I'm just jealous)
Let's make GCA grate again!

JMEvensky

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:19:45 AM »
8)

I've been to Pine Valley perhaps close to 1500 times ,

Are you the postman?

(ignore me I'm just jealous)

Would've been 1501 if a certain Philadelphian hadn't lost his cell phone.

SPDB

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 09:45:32 AM »
8)

Some mixed emotions here as to build this tee they took down what was known as Ewing House. . Alec Ewing was a mentor to me ,  a part of the firmament !  His home was full of golf and good karma but perhaps it's best with his passing no one takes his place there.

What happened to the Jay Sigel Sculpture?

[/size]

On number nine they have taken many trees down behind the left green . Many here have wished for this and it's great . When you stand on the back of the green you feel like you are on top of a little mountain . Awesome improvement to one of the best holes! The green is so hard to read , it's one of the best.
[/size]

I've seen pictures of this and, while I think its a good start, they could stand to clear out more of the trees to the right. I gather that subsidence of the hillside behind the green is no longer a concern?

Thanks for the report, looking forward to seeing the changes.

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 10:19:10 AM »
Thanks for the report Archie.  Anything done to clear the shrubbery growing in the abandoned bunker field down the left side of 12?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

archie_struthers

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 10:34:29 AM »
 8)

No , but hope springs eternal! 

You have to appreciate that they are careful messing with a  masterpiece. Perhaps more trees will come down behind nine , perhaps not. But it's easier to take them out than put them back

Six looks great . Tee shot options expanded . The swing plane statue is gone. There are a couple trees remaining to the right that might have been removed To make everything visible , but then you expose the road running towards what was Mr Shelly's house. 

Again , I was very excited by the changes . Way cool .

Sean Ogle

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 11:43:08 AM »
Very cool! Heading out to play golf in Philly in early June. Fortunate enough to be playing Merion and Philly Cricket - still trying to find a way to go see those PV changes though haha

Nate Oxman

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 12:43:19 PM »
I stayed at the Ewing House the only time I've played Pine Valley. What's PV's policy on allowing groups to play from the tips? In '12 I played every hole from as far back as possible and couldn't reach some of the fairways.

PGertner

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 03:09:23 PM »
Thanks for the updates Archie! Can't wait to see the changes.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 03:27:53 PM »
Archie,

You almost gave me a heart attack. I saw "changes" and "Pine Valley" and freaked for a second!

But, happy you are happy. Changes sound ok!

Tim
Tim Weiman

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 09:46:42 PM »
 8)

There is a fellow that just posted and is very humble , but really knows Pine Valley . He did a great job as the superintendent there after Dick Bator left.  P Gert

He taught me a lot about agronomy and turf maintenance and I really appreciated his help. OF cours I drove  him crazy with my incessant questions. Would love to hear him talk about the difficulties keeping a highly ranked golf course ready for play every day . It's not easy  !

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 09:57:37 AM »
(Updated) Jerry Tarde posted some of the Pine Valley course updates yesterday via Instagram. His account is private, so you may need to request to follow him: https://www.instagram.com/jerrytarde/
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:14:48 AM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 09:00:01 PM »
(Updated) Jerry Tarde posted some of the Pine Valley course updates yesterday via Instagram. His account is private, so you may need to request to follow him: https://www.instagram.com/jerrytarde/

Wow.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 10:15:22 AM »

Wow.

I saw those pictures as well and the tree removal work, in particular behind the greens, looks awesome.
H.P.S.

JC Jones

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 10:58:02 AM »
Very cool! Heading out to play golf in Philly in early June. Fortunate enough to be playing Merion and Philly Cricket - still trying to find a way to go see those PV changes though haha

subtle
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 11:09:10 AM »

Make another visit to the USA on a Sunday in late September and I'll be happy to show you around PV.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2016, 04:11:43 AM »

Make another visit to the USA on a Sunday in late September and I'll be happy to show you around PV.

Lol now that I found funny crump cup is only way most mere mortals do get to see it. I almost stopped at I've been to PV 1500 times but now I'm glad I didn't .(no offense to mr struthers it's just jealousy ) .

I'm sure the statue of limitations are up so I will admit to sneaking on in 1993 senior year of high school dressed like a ninja in all black with just a putter . My friends bailed on me once I got over the fence . I made it to the fairway before I chickened out after my dopey friends started beeping there car horn and I ran like a gazelle back into the woods and back to the car . I wonder if I'd get away with that now although I probably wouldn't make it over the fence ;)

archie_struthers

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2016, 10:12:35 AM »
 :-X 

Just so we're clear I was lucky to work there for 9 years in my youth hence the 1500 visits . Most times with two bags on my back . Many caddies there now way ahead of me in trips to the 1st tee.

Just wanted to say familiarity didn't ever make it less special !

Jim Franklin

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »
Can't wait to see the changes in person. Going the first weekend in June.

Is the Sigel monument NLE or just moved elsewhere on property?
Mr Hurricane

Jay Flemma

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 02:08:38 PM »
I hope the Sigel statue stays - I played with him a couple times and he was just a joy to hang out with. Can't wait to try the pro tip my friend gave me about the Devil's A%$#ole Bunker.  He waited until after I played out of it to tell it to me last time:)

Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 03:04:29 PM »
I hope the Sigel statue stays - I played with him a couple times and he was just a joy to hang out with. Can't wait to try the pro tip my friend gave me about the Devil's A%$#ole Bunker.  He waited until after I played out of it to tell it to me last time:)

I dunno about you, but I always try to avoid A$$holes in all shapes and sizes, and twice over if its the devils'...

...but then again, pretty hard to avoid them when logging on to GCA.com.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back