News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alex Podlogar_Pinehurst Resort

Pinehurst Resort's Best 18 Holes
« on: April 04, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »
All,
We're working on a little project here and wanted to bring it to the true experts.
We're looking to put together the Dream 18 of the nine courses at Pinehurst Resort. It is our hope that any list of top 18 holes at Pinehurst might include at least one or more from each of the nine courses, but we'll let you help us decide that.
So with that said, please let us know your favorite holes at Pinehurst Resort and Country Club. We kindly appreciate your help.
Alex Podlogar
Content and Social Media Manager
Pinehurst Resort

jim_lewis

Re: Pinehurst Resort's Best 18 Holes
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 11:56:03 AM »
Alex:

I have a habit that's been going on for at least 20 years. Every time I stand on the 14th tee on #2, I announce to my playing partners that it is my favorite, and in my opinion, the best hole on the course. It almost certainly is the most underrated. Most will pick #5, which I think is too difficult to be a great hole. #3 is one of the great short par 4's, and #2 has an all-world green complex. But to me, #14 is pure golf at it's finest. The bunkers are perfectly placed for any player who plays from the correct tees. The forward bunker short of the green presents an optical illusion for the first time player and is death if you get into it. Hitting and holding the green is a serious challenge for the player who actually tries to fly the ball onto it, but it is accessible for a run-up left of the aforementioned bunker. Other than short, the only place to miss that green is in the left bunker. Over leaves a shot that Phil Mickelson would hate.

I don't play the other courses often enough to have a strong suggestion. If you ever decide to pick the 18 worst holes, I suggest you start with #1 on National and #1 on #8.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:18:15 PM »
Alex:

I have a habit that's been going on for at least 20 years. Every time I stand on the 14th tee on #2, I announce to my playing partners that it is my favorite, and in my opinion, the best hole on the course. It almost certainly is the most underrated. Most will pick #5, which I think is too difficult to be a great hole. #3 is one of the great short par 4's, and #2 has an all-world green complex. But to me, #14 is pure golf at it's finest. The bunkers are perfectly placed for any player who plays from the correct tees. The forward bunker short of the green presents an optical illusion for the first time player and is death if you get into it. Hitting and holding the green is a serious challenge for the player who actually tries to fly the ball onto it, but it is accessible for a run-up left of the aforementioned bunker. Other than short, the only place to miss that green is in the left bunker. Over leaves a shot that Phil Mickelson would hate.

I don't play the other courses often enough to have a strong suggestion. If you ever decide to pick the 18 worst holes, I suggest you start with #1 on National and #1 on #8.

Jim,

Your comment on #5 is worthy of its own thread. That aside, I agree with you on #14.
Tim Weiman

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 12:39:32 PM »
To me, #5 does make more sense as a gamblers' par five than the brutal 4 it was previously.

...with all due respect to the "what does par have to do with it?" crowd...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »
Alex,

Having made my first trip to Pinehurst last year I only played 2, 4 & 8. But of those 3, here were my favorites:

#2 - 3, 5, 13 & 16
#4 - 4, 13, & 18
#8 - 4, 12, 14 & 17

Looking forward to many returns

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 01:39:05 PM »
On no.3, the stretch of 6-8 is fantastic, with the nod going to the 8th as the best of the bunch. I also really like the 4th and 5th, but for most would not be seen as good.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »
On Course #2: Hole #11
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 02:28:06 PM »
On the newly-minted #9, my group always loved the 10th hole around the water.

It also has the hardest start of any of the 9 courses, with the first two holes the epitome of 80s/90s Nicklaus target golf.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Andrew Buck

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2016, 04:30:17 PM »
Only played #2, hoping to add 8 or 4 on the next trip.

#2 is definitely a course where the sum of the whole is greater than it's parts, as it flows and compliments itself perfectly.  That said, 8, 13 and 18 where likely my favorite holes.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 01:44:33 PM »
#2: 1-18

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 02:00:07 PM »
Isn't that the easy answer?

Philip Hensley

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 11:33:27 PM »
Isn't that the easy answer?

Course #4 pre-fazio

Dave August

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 01:30:47 AM »
On #1, I like the par 3 9th. Good green complex, if I remember correctly.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »

Is that the hole that was crowbarred in by Bill Coore so that they could remove the 18th hole on #1 to make room for the practice area?

If so, yes good hole and good green. However when course is packed it makes for a logjam because golfers have to come back up the hill to the next tee, meaning the group behind them has to wait longer.

Dave August

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2016, 11:40:23 PM »

Is that the hole that was crowbarred in by Bill Coore so that they could remove the 18th hole on #1 to make room for the practice area?

If so, yes good hole and good green. However when course is packed it makes for a logjam because golfers have to come back up the hill to the next tee, meaning the group behind them has to wait longer.
Yep, that is the one. I thought the routing was strange when I played it, as it was crowded and the 10th tee was behind the 9th, but it did not bother me too much. Just a little quirk of the course.

Alex Podlogar_Pinehurst Resort

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 05:05:29 PM »
Very much appreciate all of the responses. Any more, please feel free to add here. Again, great thanks.
Alex Podlogar
Content and Social Media Manager
Pinehurst Resort

Terry Lavin

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 05:23:22 PM »
Alex,

This is a great idea!  There are so many great holes on the resort, so it won't be an easy task.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

rjsimper

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 12:48:55 PM »
Course 1 - 9 and 13
Course 2 - 2, 5, 9, 11, 18
Course 3 - Haven't played
Course 4 - 13
Course 5 - 9
Course 6 - It's been too long, but anything other than 10
Course 7 - 16
Course 8 - 3, 8, 9, 17
Course 9 - 10

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back