News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Criss Titschinger

Ulen Country Club
« on: March 28, 2016, 09:07:18 AM »
I haven't seen too many mentions of Ulen Country Club (outside of Indianapolis) on GCA. It's one of Bill Diddel's first courses. Although short at around 6,300 yards, it looks pretty interesting from the air. Is it worth a look if I'm in the area? Having just joined a course that is one of Diddel's last designs, I'm interested to see more of his work.

Ron Smith

Re: Ulen Country Club
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:38:11 AM »
Chris,

I played Ulen for the first time two years ago a enjoyed the course.  The layout was a joy to play and had a very good variety of holes.  There were numerous dog legs and it allowed for a wide selection of club use that day.  The rolling terrain and abundance of pine trees was a nice change from typically Indy terrain.  The greens were small and very quick, we really enjoyed the well bunkered green complexes as well.  The course is well worth a visit and had a ton of character.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:34:02 AM »
If you're in the area, it's worth a look.  I wouldn't say there is anything super unique but it's always really well maintained.  It plays much longer than the scorecard since it's a par 70 and there are a couple of short 4s and short 3s.  Like any other mid-tier old country club, could use some chainsaw work and also has a couple of the most bizarre holes I've played. 

The 18th is really good though.  It's one of the few holes that really stands out.

Steve Burrows

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:33:21 PM »
I very much agree with what has been said already; this is not necessarily a course to seek out by itself.  But it is a fine member's club in a small town.  Also, as you say that you are interested in Diddel's trajectory as a designer,  I think you should definitely visit Ulen.

My grandparents were members here until they died and it was the place where they first introduced me to the game of golf.  There are a couple of interesting holes, and a few head-scratchers.  There are a couple of sharp doglegs, for example (which seem to underscore the routing limitations on such a small site) as well as the 9th hole which never seemed to set up well for me and I end up playing my second shot from the parallel 18th fairway or from the neighbor's pool on the left! 
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back