News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Low key clubhouse, Cost, photos, and thoughts
« on: March 24, 2016, 09:43:51 PM »
Below I posted some photos of Dormie's clubhouse as an example.  What does one suspect a Clubhouse like this costs? 

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 01:42:06 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Greg Chambers

Re: Low key clubhouse or modular Cost
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:49:54 PM »
You'd probably be better off asking your local modular building supplier over this discussion group...just a thought.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

BCowan

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 05:55:59 AM »
You'd probably be better off asking your local modular building supplier over this discussion group...just a thought.

Why thank you Greg for such a wonder idea. 

I do remind every client there is a big difference between the golf course construction budget (which some architects talk about) and the total cost including grow-in, maintenance building, equipment, architects fees, etc.

The above was just brought up the other day.  Hopefully some with experience will chime in.. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:59:41 AM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Carl Rogers

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 07:22:54 AM »
I have played 3 rounds there on 3 separate occasions ....
One area of things I know quite a bit about (I am an Architect [buildings]).
But I would guess it was less than $250k and as Dormie was built in the midst of the financial crisis which hits this segment of the economy badly, thus it might have been less than that.  They are well away from town which will drive down the regulatory burden.  C & C and the Owners and I do not know whoever else was involved located the structure close to the top of a rise in the property so that by itself "solved" drainage problems. Their investment in Food Service is about at the rock bottom minimum (as a golfer, I have no issue with that).  The building is simple and compact enough so that a single person can perform all tasks in off hours.

I have one story concerning that..... I was out playing, by myself having the whole golf course to myself, on a nice Monday afternoon in April 2014 and "management" decided to close the clubhouse down.  Personnel hunted me down on the 12th hole, informed me of that, and that they left a cooler of cokes and beer on the clubhouse porch.  For the course and the laid back experience, it is a must play when I make the 4.5 hour drive.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Carl Rogers

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »
Another example of a simple and very good laid back well designed clubhouse is at Bandon Trails.  Why complicate things when you have a compelling site?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 07:53:12 AM »
The Dormie house reminds me a load of Tobacco Road with less emphasis on selling stuff....I like it a ton.  That said, I don't think this type of house works well for private clubs, but I guess thats the point...build a house to suit your needs. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 01:47:48 PM »
Paging Archie Struthers:

Here is a  pic of the low profile club house at Twisted Dune GC:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 01:52:01 PM »
Ben,

The Mines GC is doing a new, small footprint clubhouse right now. They hope to have it ready by the end of April. I know it's sub-$160k.

Might be worth checking out if you're in the area.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Jason Thurman

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 02:40:31 PM »
Tiny House Hunters on HGTV airs Mondays at 9 and could be a good source of information.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 02:51:48 PM »
Tiny House Hunters on HGTV airs Mondays at 9 and could be a good source of information.

Maybe Golf Channel could do Tiny Clubhouse Hunters. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 02:56:08 PM by Mark Pritchett »

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »
Ben,

If I remember correctly, the Dormie building was already on the property (used as a hunting lodge) when the DC developers acquired the land.

Mark

BCowan

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 08:28:54 PM »
Ben,

The Mines GC is doing a new, small footprint clubhouse right now. They hope to have it ready by the end of April. I know it's sub-$160k.

Might be worth checking out if you're in the area.

Joe,

If I make it out that way I look forward to checking it out.  Thanks for the heads up and the post. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 10:21:03 PM »
 There can be a wide variety of costs even in a simple building, depending on how extensive and fancy the kitchen and bathrooms are.   I would think a wood framed building on grade could be built for under $200/SF but there are a lot of variable costs including A&E, permitting, other soft costs.   It's hard to price a building without a set of plans, so a friendly local architect would be the best place to start. 

Greg Chambers

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 10:57:12 PM »
Cmon Bill...don't try to derail this thread with a logical piece of advice.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

BCowan

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 11:20:42 PM »
I have played 3 rounds there on 3 separate occasions ....
One area of things I know quite a bit about (I am an Architect [buildings]).
But I would guess it was less than $250k and as Dormie was built in the midst of the financial crisis which hits this segment of the economy badly, thus it might have been less than that.  They are well away from town which will drive down the regulatory burden.  C & C and the Owners and I do not know whoever else was involved located the structure close to the top of a rise in the property so that by itself "solved" drainage problems. Their investment in Food Service is about at the rock bottom minimum (as a golfer, I have no issue with that).  The building is simple and compact enough so that a single person can perform all tasks in off hours.

I have one story concerning that..... I was out playing, by myself having the whole golf course to myself, on a nice Monday afternoon in April 2014 and "management" decided to close the clubhouse down.  Personnel hunted me down on the 12th hole, informed me of that, and that they left a cooler of cokes and beer on the clubhouse porch.  For the course and the laid back experience, it is a must play when I make the 4.5 hour drive.

Carl,

Thanks for giving me a estimate and I respect your opinion giving that you are an Architect.  I look at it the same way as someone asking Drainage, billy bunker, or insert any other golf related estimate to a Golf Archie on GCA.com, which is done quite often on here and is a great lesson.  Great story by the way. 

Steve,

Thanks for posting Twisted Dunes...  Looks cool.. 

MCirba

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »
This one might be the ultimate in mobility and affordability.    ;D

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 01:12:20 PM »
The Dunes Club in Michigan has the smallest clubhouse I can think of.

Many courses operate out of temporary facilities for a while.  Pacific Dunes operated for six years out of a double-wide trailer, and that was fine, since they had better facilities elsewhere.  [I think Mr. Keiser only built the clubhouse there out of guilt.]  St. Andrews Beach is still operating out of a makeshift pro shop with a covered porch, which would be plenty if only it had a view of the course.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »
Many older courses/clubs in the UK started out with the local pub being the clubhouse and some UK muni's have more than one clubhouse as more than one club plays over the same course.
Atb
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:57:41 PM by Thomas Dai »

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
Check out the below website. You may find it useful. My wife and I evaluated the LV home in the past. For costing - go to below website / click on LV series / explore the LV / built LV homes / select individual project from construction costs area

Labor and materials = $172/sq ft (AR project which is listed in detail on their site)

http://www.rocioromero.com/
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

JJShanley

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2016, 04:11:36 PM »
Dundonald in the west of Scotland has a portacabin style Clubhouse, which found very inviting and relaxing after my round there in 2015.  I only need warm showers, comfortable seating, a bar, and decent food.  It provided all four.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2016, 06:55:06 PM »
Many older courses/clubs in the UK started out with the local pub being the clubhouse and some UK muni's have more than one clubhouse as more than one club plays over the same course.
Atb

Thomas,

it is not just munis as North Berwick also has several clubs each with their own clubhouses.

Jon

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2016, 07:30:26 PM »
The 2 good 9 holers in TN (Sewanee and Sweetens Cove) have micro-clubhouses. Sewanee is a legit trailer and Sweetens is a wood building and even smaller than Sewanee. Does the low ket clubhouse require a bathroom, bar, and the ability to hold more than 8 people at a time?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 07:55:50 PM »
Dundonald in the west of Scotland has a portacabin style Clubhouse, which found very inviting and relaxing after my round there in 2015.  I only need warm showers, comfortable seating, a bar, and decent food.  It provided all four.

Don't forget a good drying room, essential in Scotland!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »
This one might be the ultimate in mobility and affordability.    ;D

[Gasp!].  I want that when I go on my Travels With Charley trip.  Where can I get one?  Can I park it in your driveway while we play Cobb's Creek?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2016, 08:02:58 PM »
Atb

Liphook, great under the radar heathland course, reversed their nines when they ultimately built a clubhouse.  Before that their "clubhouse" was a pub 150 yards behind what is now the 9th green.    Anybody who hasn't played Liphook should, it's that good.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back