News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil White

Re: Greatest Clay Soil courses
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2016, 10:40:55 AM »
Joe,

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:43:25 AM by Neil White »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2016, 10:42:41 AM »
Neil,

Thanks!
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

BCowan

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 11:01:15 AM »
Neil/Jon,

Thanks, very good post.  Image is excellent.  How often does this need to be done?  I mean how long before the hole fills in (seasons)?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »
A lot of the great Philly courses are on Clay.  Merion, Wissahickon, Aronimink, Rolling Green, etc.  They turned out fine!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 11:34:07 AM »

Robin,

have you thought what effect the gravel up to the surface will have on the stability of the surface immediately surrounding the drain? Have not ever looked at this but strikes me it could lead to this area suffering collapse.

Jon

Jon

It's a 20mm gravel up to the subsoil/topsoil horizon. This is capped with a grit and then a cone of sand sits on the top up to the surface. Standard sports field drainage procedure, so I don't have any fear of trench collapses.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco

Tom Kelly

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2016, 01:56:24 PM »
If you do have a clay site then you better have slopes to get rid of surface water. Flat clay sites and you have a recipe for disaster. Royal Mid Surrey!!!!

The main issue at Royal Mid Surrey is the quite large river it sits next to. When there is nowhere for the water to go eventually it will back up. Add to that the tide and discretion of the person in charge of the locks/flood barriers and you'll have a few problems every now and then.

I'd be interested to find out the depth of the water table over the course of the year at some of these courses to see what impact it has. I'd hazard a guess that Walton Heath probably benefits from a fairly deep water table given the clay sits on top of free draining chalk.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »
Just got back from playing Wolf Point in Port Lavaca, TX.  It is built on good old Texas "gumbo" clay soil and great!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2016, 06:11:20 PM »
Neil/Jon,

Thanks, very good post.  Image is excellent.  How often does this need to be done?  I mean how long before the hole fills in (seasons)?

Ben,

the lifespan of a mole drain is very individual. It depends a lot on the soil type though clay where it is mostly used is quite stable. Also dependent on the weather. If there is a lot of frost heave this can disrupt them. I have seen them needing to be redone after a year but also seen them still working in the mid 80's after been pulled in the 30's. Generally though I believe 5 to 10 years is normal which is good to say how cheap they are to do.

Robin,

thanks for the answer.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back