News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Re: First Visit to the Masters
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2016, 08:19:50 PM »
Bill,

Can you take down those ridiculous trees planted in recent years along 11 and 15 while you're out there?   Thanks!

I will have my wife carry a Mini Stiehl

Bill_McBride

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2016, 08:22:55 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughtful advice!  17 days!

RickV

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2016, 11:51:20 PM »
I'm very excited that my wife and I will be going to the Masters for the first time this year.  We will be there Thursday.   I would to hear from the experts with some advice for a newbie.   I've heard we should buy a couple of Masters chairs on arrival and put them somewhere to sit and watch after doing some walking around.   Any recommendations on the best spots?   I'd love to get a look at every hole but know it's a huge property.  Let me hear your ideas and thanks!

That's great news Bill.  Some quick tips

Don't bring a cell phone under any circumstances during the actual tournament.  There is a zero tolerance policy.  You will be thrown out for sure if spotted and your badges revoked for good.  They are constantly on the lookout for it.  I'm sure some may get away with it but I would not take that chance.

If you ask the gallery guards (guys with the yellow hats) where 2 spots may fit around a green, sometimes they can make room for you in the slack space between chairs.  They are the only ones besides security that are able to move chairs to make room (or to keep chairs in a somewhat straight line)

No running, cannot take off your shoes and cannot lay down to take a nap (must be at least sitting up)

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2016, 06:25:32 AM »
No one has covered the sideshows.

Big John Daly usually has a trailer, selling autographed anything

All kinds of night entertainment is available

Party crashing, house crashing if you're young and bold
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike_Young

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2016, 07:06:16 AM »
Really nice urinals also....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 08:05:37 AM »
Really nice urinals also....

Actually part of the entertainment- a symphony in keeping it moving with a light dose of boys comedy.
One of the few quirkier older traditions the Green Coats haven't altered (yet)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 08:22:38 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

MWagner

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2016, 08:19:17 AM »
I like to wear comfortable golf shoes because your on the course all day and it is a great walk.  #11 tee box is a great view...not crowded and you can take a great look at one of the longer par 4's out there from the pro's view.  If you get in early, start walking 1-18...you may never get the chance to do so again in your life.  As far as swag, I agree with below, you can buy as you are leaving on a Thursday and you will get plenty of ideas by watching all the patrons who will wear new gear on the course.  Could be cold so watch the weather.  My brother takes a pinch of grass and and sand from the course and puts in his lanyard every year.  Weather drinking soda's (clear) or beer (green) save your cups.  They make a special souvenir.  I have them from every year I have gone going back to 98.  Final thought, talk to the guys who work the holes.  They are golf nerds just like us..."Tell me your favorite experience from working this hole....where is the best place to watch golf on the course..."

Have fun

Tom Allen

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »
Great advice as to where to go, so I'll not add anything to that discussion.

For items to buy:  I still use an umbrella I purchased there a few years ago.  It has lasted as long as any I've had, and for $30, it was a no brainer for me.

I also bought a coffee mug.  Coffee just tastes so much better out of that mug each morning. :)

The chairs have also proven useful at my son's soccer games when my main two were dirty, being cleaned, etc.

Greg McMullin

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2016, 03:09:23 PM »

Bill,
   I was fortunate to attend last year for the first time and what Michael recommends would be great advice. My only addition would be to take along a small pair of binoculars. One other suggestion I would add is to take advantage of getting a photo taken in the area of Butler Cabin. The club offers this free of charge. You will need to check if this is available on Thursday as I attended on Sunday. Enjoy!

Bill,

When we first starting visiting we would get there early and walk the course backwards, stopping occasionally along the way to sit in the stands and have a sandwich or a beer. Seeing the course this way avoids a lot of the uphill climbs, especially if you use the walkways to cut across the far away corners... especially out at five. Although, as has been pointed out to me when I've complained about Tom Doak's courses seeming to have too many up hill holes, by the end of the day when you are leaving the main gate it's a zero sum gain on elevation!  ;)  But, to me, it always seemed an easier walk going backwards.

One tip on chairs... with this being your first trip I don't think I would consider using my own. You don't really know yet where you want to put them or how to navigate the course to find your spot. My advice is to look for empty parked chairs as you walk around the course and have a seat. No one will take issue with you sitting in their chairs if they have parked them for later use. If the owners arrive, just thank them for the opportunity and move on... no problem. I've done it 50 times and had my chairs used in the same way. Just don't move them!

Where patrons choose to park and watch the action is interesting. My favorite spots for approach shots and putting are the stands behind 8, anywhere behind the 10th green that allows you to see the second shots arriving, the hillocks behind the 2nd green, and the right side of 15 (if the hole is cut on that side). For tee shots I like #1, the right side of 10th fairway in the landing zone, and the stands behind the 12th tee. The one place I've never been that looks good is the stands beside the 16th tee... everyone seems to be enjoying themselves over there and it's in the shade.  8)

Don't forget to carve out some time to sit in the stands at the practice area. Early or late there will be some players out there.

Finally, since this is your first visit I would suggest that you get there very early and watch the ceremonial tee shots to open the tournament. Palmer has already called it quits... Nicklaus won't be far behind.

Paul Jones

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2016, 03:24:41 PM »
I'm very excited that my wife and I will be going to the Masters for the first time this year.  We will be there Thursday.   I would to hear from the experts with some advice for a newbie.   I've heard we should buy a couple of Masters chairs on arrival and put them somewhere to sit and watch after doing some walking around.   Any recommendations on the best spots?   I'd love to get a look at every hole but know it's a huge property.  Let me hear your ideas and thanks!

Bill,

I will be there, lets meet up for a drink or dinner one night. 

It is not an easy walk, I would recommend to visit Amen Corner and grab a seat in the bleachers.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Tim Martin

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 07:10:11 AM »
Load up on the peach ice cream sandwiches.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 10:37:46 AM »
Load up on the peach ice cream sandwiches.

Do I have to?  😉👍

jim_lewis

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 04:18:00 PM »
Bill:

I recommend that you follow Michael Whitaker's advise. Forget the chairs. Plan to walk as much as you can. If your wife gets tired, put her in the bleachers and leave her for a while. If you are not exhausted when you leave, you haven't walked enough.

I disagree with the advice to arrive early. Don't fight the rush. Let the early birds in and arrive around 9:30 or so. On Thursday the play will go on for about 10 hours, so you are not likely to stay that long anyway.

You can see the pros hit shots at dozens of tournaments. There is only one Augusta National, and who knows if you will ever get back. See the course. If there are some players that you have a particular interest in, follow them for a while. On Thursday, there may be a few oldtimers and foreign players that you may never see again Don't spend long periods of time watching guys hit balls, especially on the par 3's where it is difficult to follow the ball in flight.

Small binoculars are essential on the weekend, primarily for seeing the score boards from a distance. Not so much on Thursday.

If the forecast indicates rain, you can take an umbrella in and check until you need it at one of several check stands. If you must buy merchandise, you can do that early and check the bag also.
If it looks like rain, leave a change of shirt (at least) and a towel in your car. I have learned the hard way by driving home soaking wet. If you are going to need gas, get it before you arrive.
Avoid eating around noon. Early or later saves time.

Everyone has their own preference on what kind of shots they like to see. My favorites are second shots into par 5's. Find a spot on the corner of #13 and under the pines on the left side of #15. You can also watch those shots from behind the greens. Check the hole location of #2. If the pin is right, watch some shots from the fairway below the bunker. You may see something special, like Louie's double eagle (which I saw). It the pin in on the left, it becomes a routine 3-shot hole for almost everyone. Watch a few shots from behind the 7th and 10th greens. Check out the view from behind the 18th tee. That chute is downright scary. Don't dawdle too long in one spot. The 14th green is one-or-a-kind.

Enjoy the day. You can ignore all of the advise and still have a great day.

Jim

"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Josh Tarble

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »
I'm with Jim.  You can take a break and sit anywhere for a while, but the experience is the course itself.  I do disagree and think you should arrive a bit early, buy way too much stuff, eat way too many pimiento cheese sandwiches and walk the entire course.  You can't get to every nook and cranny but you're able to walk 85% of it.  Then either find a group you like or find a group with only a few in the gallery.  Follow them around and watch how they play different shots. 

I also say that no matter what you end up doing you will enjoy.  Have a great time!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 04:55:10 PM »
Uncle Bill,

You know Mr. Whitaker's ideas are spot on...walking the course backwards is a great idea and I too recommend seeing ALL holes at least once.

As for a cool spot to hang...I am partial to standing directly behind the #4 green.  You get to see the tee shots land (on this short par-4), all approach shots, greenside shots and putts.  Then, you simply turn 90 degrees and get to see the par-3 5th's tee shots and putts.  Lots of golf action in one little spot. Just my opinion.

I am also a grandstand fan...#8, #15, #16 are all solid choices.

Have a GREAT time!  Memories for a lifetime...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

CBunge

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »
If you are buying a shirt, I recommend buying a Peter Millar shirt over the "Masters" brand. More expensive, but higher quality and it will last longer.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 07:16:30 PM »
If you are buying a shirt, I recommend buying a Peter Millar shirt over the "Masters" brand. More expensive, but higher quality and it will last longer.

I already have too many shirts.   Maybe a bucket hat so I can look like Jack in 1962!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 07:21:17 PM »
Thanks everybody, I really value everyone's advice, strategies, general thoughts.  Can't wait to get there!

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 07:28:37 PM »
When you decide to take a break a buy Masters goodies, go to the shop behind the fifth hole. It's both less crowded than the one at the main entrance and it's air-conditioned. It has the same stuff.

And rather than lug it around all day, go to the shipping kiosk immediately to the north and ship it UPS. I did that last year on Wednesday and it arrived home on Friday.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

jeffwarne

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 07:50:51 PM »
If I had only one visit to Augusta,and finite energy I would NOT walk the course backwards,
but that's just me.
Jim is right that if you go early, you do fight the crowds-really the only time you wait in line at Augusta is if you run with the crowds by stopping in the wrong concession stands at peak times or by arriving very early as the gates don't open that early..
I disagree about binoculars-they are key to seeing the entire course(and its features) by using the strategic cutoffs and saving a ton of steps, which may be the difference between seeing all 18 holes, or at least most of the course.

It is virtually impossible to see the ceremonial opening tee shots unless you arrive very early(way before the gates open)as the line and the walk will take too long-I can't see adding that much time(maybe 2 hours) to an already long day to see a couple of tee shots-and I love that sort've thing.It's just a shame they open the gates so late which make it quite difficult to do.
I'd plan on arriving around 8;30-9;30, by then the crowd has gone down, and catching an early group as outlined above.
If you do buy stuff, check it.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2016, 08:56:24 PM »
Bill,
If you want to buy a shirt for Kavanaugh, I'll go halfsies. Here's a do's and don'ts with a expandible PDF for parking
               http://www.augusta.com/masters/dos_donts      Hoping for good weather for your enjoyment.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2016, 09:38:21 PM »
Hi Bill,

I'm sure you'll adopt a pastiche of all these strategies, but whatever you do, put on the Rainbow wig and John 3:16 shirt after you've got a good spot staked out, and seen some of the course and some play.

At the very least a fuschia hat or something; I'll be able to identify you when I DVR the Thursday coverage.

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back