News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Your favorite tee shots at Augusta
« on: March 20, 2016, 11:22:32 AM »
In foursomes the evens seem a natural given the four par 3's. With that in mind rank the tee shots you would most like to attempt at ANGC.

For me: 12, 13,10, 18, 1 as a cerimonial starter of course, 16, 17, 6, 4, 9, 15, 11, 7, 3, 5, 14, 2, and finally 8.

Tim_Weiman

Re: Your favorite tee shots at Augusta
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 04:58:01 PM »
In foursomes the evens seem a natural given the four par 3's. With that in mind rank the tee shots you would most like to attempt at ANGC.

For me: 12, 13,10, 18, 1 as a cerimonial starter of course, 16, 17, 6, 4, 9, 15, 11, 7, 3, 5, 14, 2, and finally 8.

#11 from the back tee is crazy.
Tim Weiman

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 05:21:19 PM »
2 tee shots I'd like to hit
10--with a 1 iron-a la Sandy Lyle ;) (well maybe from the members tee with a balata ball)

a LOT of history has taken place since I last(and first) played that hole 38 years ago (and I'm not that old)

13- have hit that shot dozens of times playing my childhood (unauthorized) 4 hole evening loop

Not sure I'd want to see where I'd end up on 11
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 05:23:23 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 05:31:23 PM »
How far would you need to hit it on 11 to even see the green, or flag for that matter.

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 05:38:43 PM »
How far would you need to hit it on 11 to even see the green, or flag for that matter.

I think farther than I can hit it unless it was hot(very brief period that they are open) and the ground (dry) Masters week firm.
Tee seems to back every year .

I'd guess 280ish but now I think you'd hit an upslope if flew it less than 270ish (I could be wrong)

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 08:12:25 PM »
All of the par-3 holes are terrific, so I'd take the evens in a foursomes match.

My favorite driving holes on the course were 10, 5, 13, 14, 17 and 15.  14 is underrated, with the fairway sliding left to right.

On the other hand  1, 7, 11, and 18 are somewhere between intimidating and terrifying.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:45:13 PM »
Why 5? I'm not recalling the interest there.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 09:54:16 PM »

#1 for sure is fun. Not only is it a terrifying situation with normally 3 members and 12 people watching, and adrenalin pumping, it is when you realize you are playing the course.

#2 is a fun drive downhill, #6 is a fantastic shot to a tough green, #10, #13 and of course #16.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 09:55:38 PM »

It fits the scale of the place -- big, uphill, right-to-left.  You don't get the speed slot bonus as at #2 or #10 or #15, but it's a really important hole to hit a good drive.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 10:00:22 PM »

It fits the scale of the place -- big, uphill, right-to-left.  You don't get the speed slot bonus as at #2 or #10 or #15, but it's a really important hole to hit a good drive.

And probably the toughest bunkers on the course?

V. Kmetz

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 10:07:52 PM »

Hello,

Even with the additional yardage of the past decade (now up to 530?)and trees planted on the right, I always thought 15 was a beautiful looking tee shot and one that would be fun to play...a semi-blind, let-out the shaft kind of hit, where there were various rewards and penalties for shaping it wrong or right...it must be nice to hit a good one there and walk over the brow, seeing that sunken sliver of green between the ponds, anticipating whether you'll hit it well enough to have a go in two.

10 would be a nice one too, to see if you could shape it to turn your 240-250 yard drive into 285 with a big roll-out...

17 (with Ike's tree) looked fun, the times I was there...

after that 13, 3, are probably next.

All the rest of the driving holes, I'm fascinated to watch someone else better than me play em'... I never thought about foursomes play there and that all the one-shot holes are Even-numbered..( I'd have to pick my partner carefully if I wanted to drive on some of my favorites, though it's for the best for my side in such a match as I'm likely to have more than four good Driver shots, as opposed to having two good irons out of those four...)

cheers

vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Tom Birkert

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 08:54:19 AM »
Hugely caveated since I've only seen it on TV, but the tee shot that appeals to me most is 10. I wonder if the downhill slope is as steep as I am informed it is?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 10:31:40 AM »

About four miles.
Tim Weiman

MClutterbuck

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2016, 10:57:15 AM »
Hugely caveated since I've only seen it on TV, but the tee shot that appeals to me most is 10. I wonder if the downhill slope is as steep as I am informed it is?

As steep as 18 coming back... very!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2016, 11:02:22 AM »
Tom B - like you, I know it only from tv. But No. 10 seems a truly magnificent hole, doesn't it? I can't remember ever seeing or reading about or playing another hole even remotely like it.

Peter

Tom Birkert

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:39 AM »

Well everyone likes an ego boost, so I think 10 is preferable to 18 for me!

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »

Well everyone likes an ego boost, so I think 10 is preferable to 18 for me!

Walking up both 10 and 18 made me feel like 10 is a bigger hill.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back