News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Wolfe

Oakmont Greens on March 13th
« on: March 15, 2016, 10:32:55 AM »
On a damp and chilly day with courses just opening in western Pennsylvania, Oakmont's greens were super firm and had plenty of speed on Sunday.  More trees vanished ( if that seems possible ) and the course was generally perfect.  If the conditions are right in mid-June, the USGA could easily stake par at somewhere in the 290's.  I suspect the Shinnecock debacle will diminish that possibility, but what should the set-up be for a course that is relatively short by today's standards?  Also, I think courses in the Northeast have come through Winter in much better shape than season's past, which bodes well for a great year.

Phil Lipper

Re: Oakmont Greens on March 13th
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 11:19:11 AM »
George where the additional trees removed? There were so few last Spring I can't imagine what else there was to remove.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 11:21:22 AM »
George:

To your last point, I agree wholeheartedly. The difference between this year and last in course conditions around Philly, Pittsburgh and NYC is remarkable. Last year, many courses around were virtually unplayable into May. A few had temp greens into June. This year, almost all courses are already open and those that are are already in excellent shape. Should be a great spring, and and ideal year for an Oakmont open.

Jon
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tom Birkert

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 11:38:51 AM »
I adore Oakmont. The course, the ambience, and of course those greens...

I was amazed by the topography the first time I visited, which just didn't come over on TV.

It clearly suits a player who doesn't 3 putt, as making mid to long length putts is nigh on impossible (so for that reason I don't think Spieth wins).

Eric Hammerbacher

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 12:13:50 PM »
I believe they removed trees on the right side of 12, so you can see farther down towards, or all the way to,  the turnpike. 

I also heard they found a creek down there, but it doesn't come into play. 

Also they covered greens this winter which they don't always do.

"All it takes, in truth, for a golfer to attain his happiness is a fence rail to throw his coat on, and a target somewhere over the rise." -John Updike 1994

George Wolfe

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
Subtle tree removal to the right of #1 tee in the Pool area, to the right of #7 tee and significant trimming to the trees to the right of 18 along the driving range.  Another cool thing was the removal of the fence to the right of #3 bordering what was the East course as it gives the hole a much more sweeping feel, despite the looming pews and bunkers. Otherwise, the course had very little off-season disruption ( a few paths/roads for Open support ) and I foresee great things for the tournament.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 02:09:53 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Aaron Marks

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »
What yardage are they expecting to play #8 from?  288 is a heck of a par 3.  I couldn't tell from the picture how downhill the hole was, though.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »

MCirba

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 04:10:53 PM »
Oakmont looks amazing in those pics Joe, and much, much different than when I was there in 1983 for the weekend US Open rounds.   Vastly improved with a starkness befitting its industrially stern outlook.  ;)   ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ben Wolfe

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 04:51:51 PM »

Here are some photos of the great conditions we experienced on Sunday. The fact that the greens and fairways were so firm made for an enjoyable day. The mild winter is a bonus and should allow for perfect U.S. Open conditions.  I'm interested to see how the rough will be set up. Any thoughts?

http://www.rightonpar.com/photos/nggallery/oakmont-march-2016/oakmont-march-2016

Tim Gallant

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 05:18:23 PM »

Here are some photos of the great conditions we experienced on Sunday. The fact that the greens and fairways were so firm made for an enjoyable day. The mild winter is a bonus and should allow for perfect U.S. Open conditions.  I'm interested to see how the rough will be set up. Any thoughts?

http://www.rightonpar.com/photos/nggallery/oakmont-march-2016/oakmont-march-2016

Ben,

Thank you for the photos - the course looks great for this time of year. My question is more about the atmosphere. With only a select few trees on the course, do you think we will get 'Augusta-esq' roars / groans around the grounds come US Open time? It seems like there is nothing to prevent sound travelling, which could mean that if someone goes on a Miller-like run, that the atmosphere could be electric?!

I can't wait to see the course in June on TV.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 05:29:03 PM »
What yardage are they expecting to play #8 from?  288 is a heck of a par 3.  I couldn't tell from the picture how downhill the hole was, though.

It's really not downhill at all. It's just a monster.
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Aaron Marks

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2016, 06:40:32 PM »

It is a game with which I am not familiar.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2016, 07:14:10 PM »

From my one play I believe the hole is barely downhill, maybe a couple of feet.

Heck, I parred it. 😉

It is a game with which I am not familiar.

Tim Fenchel

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 10:47:20 AM »

Ben,

Thank you for the photos - the course looks great for this time of year. My question is more about the atmosphere. With only a select few trees on the course, do you think we will get 'Augusta-esq' roars / groans around the grounds come US Open time? It seems like there is nothing to prevent sound travelling, which could mean that if someone goes on a Miller-like run, that the atmosphere could be electric?!

Definitely a NO on the roars.  That takes birdies and eagles...both of which will be in short supply at Oakmont come June.  I attended in 2007 and it was a pretty quiet place...the course however was stunning.

Also...Oakmont has one of my favorite club houses of all time.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 11:29:47 AM »

Ben, I would love a high-res version of the pic of the hawk on the pin if you can provide it.

Ben Wolfe

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 01:06:26 PM »

Ben,

Definitely a NO on the roars.  That takes birdies and eagles...both of which will be in short supply at Oakmont come June.  I attended in 2007 and it was a pretty quiet place...the course however was stunning.

Also...Oakmont has one of my favorite club houses of all time.

I agree with Tim F., I don't foresee too many loud roars given the difficulty. I could see some excitement happening on No. 4 (shortish par-5) and 17 (short par-4). Just like 2007 it will be a grind to break par for the week. Miller-like runs aren't too common at OCC..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back