News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Andriole

Feature Interview with Brian Morgan posted. New
« on: March 09, 2016, 03:47:34 PM »
“Photography helps people see” and great photography commands the attention and focus of the viewer.

This month’s feature interviewee is known to most even though they have never met him. Part journalist, part technician and part artist, Brian Morgan, has become intimate with the people, places and emotions of this great game and documented them in such an extraordinary way that many of us have effectively shared the experience.  Over the past half-century the breadth and depth of his photographic catalogue has become part of the fabric of the game of golf. He has traveled the world imaging golf courses, events and players, often at the most propitious moment.

Brian is a friend and most assuredly a bon vivant – a proud Scot who speaks fluid Italian and loves adventure.He’s a fine golfer – a sneaky good septuagenarian who’s at his best when a quid or two are on the line.  His experience as a photographer and player has made him a discriminating evaluator of architecture as was demonstrated recently on our visit to Ram Hill – a reinvigorated development somewhere between the Salton Sea and Mexico where central hazards create great strategy.

Our website thrives on learned opinion, description and increasingly depiction. Photography has become an integral component and the better the photography, the better the communication.  Brian has kindly shared some thoughts in this regard. I hope that you will enjoy this month’s feature.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:55:12 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Benjamin Litman

Re: Feature Interview with Brian Morgan posted.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
Joe/Ran, many thanks for posting (and conducting and, after Brian's tragic revelation, completing) this excellent interview. As your introductory remarks predicted, I was previously familiar only with Brian's images. Learning about the man himself adds a depth and richness of color that even the best digital camera (and "post-processing" software) cannot capture. Thank you.[size=78%] [/size]
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 07:15:47 PM »
Great interview. I felt like part of the conversation.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 12:39:07 AM »
How nice to see an interview with Brian Morgan, the first guy who made his living at golf course photography.

Mr. Dye introduced me to Brian at the TPC in 1982, just weeks before I was headed off to spend my year in Scotland, and Brian graciously offered to let me use his office in Glasgow as a mail drop, as well as providing a critique on my photography skills.  His ex-wife, Dorothy, ran the office for him, later to be helped by their daughter Kirsty, who was a couple of years younger than me.  [The verdict:  that I obviously had "no technical training in photography at all," but that I was a natural at composition and putting the subject of the picture in the right place ... a skill which has proved to be very useful in my day job.]

It was Brian who recommended me for my second design job, at The Legends in Myrtle Beach, when he was there on a photo shoot and the developer told him he wanted to find someone to help build a "Scottish-style course."  And when I first showed him the manuscript of The Confidential Guide, it was he who told me to keep it a limited edition, because limited editions were of immense value in the golf business -- a wisdom I have applied to golf architecture as well.

We got to play golf together at Stone Eagle last year when I was out in the desert, and had dinner with our wives.  All the ladies love Brian ... he was a fashion photographer for a while before the golf gig, and he knows how to make the girls feel beautiful.

David Davis

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 10:16:13 AM »
Nice interview. I'll admit to being the worst photographer ever but then again my weapon of choice is an iPhone 6+. What can you expect especially when combining those two most important tools.

I thought that photo of Castle Stuart was quite good, interesting how he immediately mentioned two great improvements I wouldn't of even considered without some serious study of that photo and most likely not at all.

His eye and lens has truly caught some of the greatest golf photos. I too had not heard of him. Great stuff!
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 10:44:08 AM »
I see Mr. Morgan comes from the same town (Clydebank) as my grandfather and grandmother.

What a great career.  Thanks to Joe Andriole for the interview.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 06:01:53 AM »
Tom D,

Funny you mention Brian's office. I have a dim recollection undertaking a survey and valuation of his office sometime in the 80's and 90's. If it's the same one I'm thinking of it was the first floor (that's the second floor for Americans) of a two storey modernish building down near the Clyde in Glasgow. I recall photos everywhere as you might expect. Unfortunately didn't meet Brian although we have acquaintances in common.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 03:52:46 PM »
Thanks for this interview. Thoughts from someone at the top of their profession are ever interesting. Always something to learn.
Atb

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 12:26:24 PM »
Looking forward to reading this as my late friend Desmond Muirhead used to tell me of how much he admired Brian's talents, which of course were seen in his and Brian's epic book on the Old Course with Tip Anderson!

Sadly, this magnificent talent gets upstaged on this website by two charlatans.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 12:53:24 PM »
Looking forward to reading this as my late friend Desmond Muirhead used to tell me of how much he admired Brian's talents, which of course were seen in his and Brian's epic book on the Old Course with Tip Anderson!

Sadly, this magnificent talent gets upstaged on this website by two charlatans.

Tommy,

Even I wouldn't call people who take bad pictures charlatans.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back