News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Hillenbrand

GCA Golf Outing - St. Louis
« on: March 03, 2016, 10:17:58 AM »
Update - Well my attempt with the mystery course, St. Louis CC, did not come to fruition. The offer is still open for St. Clair on Friday, and Saturday at Glen Echo. However, with lukewarm interest thus far I am least planning on being at Glen Echo on the 18th. So feel free to join me, and if anyone is interested in still hooking up the 17th and seeing St. Clair, we can do that too.

With golf returning to the Olympics this summer, I thought it would be fun to host an outing at the course where the games were contested for the first and only time in 1904 - Glen Echo Country Club. This is my first time trying to organize one of these for the discussion group, so here goes....

I have a block of tee times reserved for June 18th around 11am. I also have afternoon rounds lined up on the 17th at St. Clair CC, a William Langford design across the river. However, there is a chance that could be replaced by an architecturally significant course here in town that shall go unnamed for now. There may not be as many slots open for this, so the overflow will either go to St. Clair, or perhaps part of the St. Louis contingent that takes part here would like to host some at their course or club. First come, first served.

For out of towners, or even locals who want to hang together I have a block of rooms, and shuttle transportation to the courses lined up each day. Glen Echo and St. Clair are about 10 minutes from downtown St. Louis, but we might as well relax and not worry about traffic or getting lost. Here is the itinerary so far:

June 17th - Afternoon golf at Mystery course, St. Clair, or another local gem
- Lodging at the Missouri Athletic Club in downtown St. Louis. $125 for a double room. Optional Dinner at the MAC that evening
June 18th - Glen Echo CC. Tee times start at 11am. Optional breakfast at the MAC, and lunch on the course.
A shuttle will provide roundtrip service to both courses, departing and returning from the Missouri Athletic Club

Costs - $75 w/o cart at Glen Echo, $65 w/cart at St. Clair. $TBD at TBD course. $25/person for shuttle service.

I have spots for 20 golfers, but could expand to more if need. Also, the Cardinals are in town against the Nationals on the 17th. If there is interest in grabbing a ball game let me know and I can round up some tickets. If you want to stay additional nights and play more golf, let me know. I'm up for it.

Post here or PM me if you're interested. I look forward to hosting and showing off some old under the radar classics!

List of attendees:
1.Me
3. Frank Mastroianni - tentative
4. David Amarnek - tentative
5. Joe Melchiors
6. Steve Pozaric
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:17:24 PM by Ryan Hillenbrand »

BCowan

Re: GCA Golf Outing - St. Louis
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 10:52:18 AM »
Ryan,

Nice work!  Thanks for organizing. 

David Amarnek

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 11:08:54 AM »
Ryan,
Great idea and I would enjoy participating, if I'm in town.
Curious as to what architecturally interesting course you are referring to (if you don't mind, email me and I'll see if I can help: damarnek@gmail.com)
Depending on the numbers and my availability, I could possibly host over at Westwood on the 17th.

Frank M

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 11:56:42 AM »
Ryan this sounds really great. I believe I will be in the area during that time and should receive confirmation this week. If I am I'd love to attend as being Canadian there is a connection with Glen Echo having hosted the Olympics, which was won by a Canadian. Would it be an issue if I was staying elsewhere however?

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 12:04:28 PM »
Ryan,

This sounds really great. I don't think I'm going to make this one, but with family in town there I hope I'll have another chance sometime to make one of your events.

The MAC is a really neat Club, too, for those who haven't been.
H.P.S.

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 12:40:41 PM »
I recommend Quail Creek and Pevely Farms as well.  Sounds like fun, but we moved from St. Louis 2 years ago and I won't likely be in town. 

Hope you guys have a great time.

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 01:07:53 PM »
Ryan, this sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it. Hope you guys have fun!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:57:35 AM by Criss Titschinger »

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 03:58:25 PM »
Ryan this sounds really great. I believe I will be in the area during that time and should receive confirmation this week. If I am I'd love to attend as being Canadian there is a connection with Glen Echo having hosted the Olympics, which was won by a Canadian. Would it be an issue if I was staying elsewhere however?

Hi Frank,

Would love to have you. The lodging portion is totally optional, but if you want to park your car at the MAC you're welcome to use the shuttle.

Frank was referring to George Lyon, a Canadian who took the gold medal, defeating Chandler Egan in the final match.

Frank M

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:50:16 PM »
Ryan this is great.

Consider me in. Would it be a problem if I brought along a second? Father's Day is the main issue with the dates for me, but if I can bring him along my problem is solved.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 09:05:55 PM »
Ryan this is great.

Consider me in. Would it be a problem if I brought along a second? Father's Day is the main issue with the dates for me, but if I can bring him along my problem is solved.

Absolutely! No better way to spend a Fathers Day in my opinion than golf with your son (or dad)

Frank M

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 09:47:43 PM »
Ryan count me in for two tentatively. When will final commitment be needed?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:50:20 PM by Frank Mastroianni »

Buck Wolter

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 09:59:02 AM »
I recommend Quail Creek and Pevely Farms as well.  Sounds like fun, but we moved from St. Louis 2 years ago and I won't likely be in town. 

Joe- I wouldn't recommend Pevely Farms unless someone wanted to see one of the worst holes ever designed. Plenty I would recommend but not that one.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Joe Melchiors

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2016, 01:26:33 PM »
This sounds great.  I should be able to make it Friday and Saturday, but mark me down as tentative too.

Joe M

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2016, 01:55:29 PM »

Gee Buck, tell me how you really feel.  Which hole are you referring to out of curiosity? 

Joe- I wouldn't recommend Pevely Farms unless someone wanted to see one of the worst holes ever designed. Plenty I would recommend but not that one.

Buck

Buck Wolter

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2016, 02:54:12 PM »

Gee Buck, tell me how you really feel.  Which hole are you referring to out of curiosity? 

Buck

Sorry that did come off a little harsh but I don't like Pevely --pretty sure this is the offending hole. Not nearly as much room as this diagram implies and the entire right side is jail.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 04:59:56 PM »
Buck,

That's the hole. Couldn't agree more, and #6 isn't exactly much better. You blow up those two holes and the remaining 16 are pretty good IMO - and the views there are nice.

For my money I'd go a little farther down the road and play Aberdeen. Probably the closest thing to a Scottish type golf operation. No frills, the general manager is also the super (and from England), simple club house with cold beer, and a true links style course.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 06:01:12 PM »
Buck,

That's the hole. Couldn't agree more, and #6 isn't exactly much better. You blow up those two holes and the remaining 16 are pretty good IMO - and the views there are nice.

For my money I'd go a little farther down the road and play Aberdeen. Probably the closest thing to a Scottish type golf operation. No frills, the general manager is also the super (and from England), simple club house with cold beer, and a true links style course.

Ryan,

A true links style course in St. Louis?  Surely you jest.  I know the term gets way overused by marketing folks... links courses has a fairly strict definition and I'm pretty sure the one In St. Louis is nowhere near actual links land by the sea...

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 09:39:40 PM »
Kalen,

I say " links style" because it's flat, virtually treeless, they keep the zoysia tight and dry, and most of the holes allow for a ground game approach. About as much links as we can get here. Another one is marketed as links but the wet bent grass pretty much disqualifies it.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 10:39:09 AM »
Thanks RH! This is a great opportunity, and I'd really love to see St. Clair. As it stands now, I would have to do some serious juggling. Glen Echo has several really, really good holes. Just don't miss your drive right on five, or risk some serious heckling from the locals.

Steve Pozaric

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2016, 10:42:41 PM »
Put me down as a tentative.  Sounds like fun.

I agree Pevely 6 & 7 are terrible

As to links, it isn't the ocean, but Aberdeen is right next to the Metamec River...

I would offer see if my club Greenbriar could have us but I don't think I could get that many foresomes out in an afternoon.
Steve Pozaric

Frank M

Re: GCA Golf Outing - St. Louis New
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 12:04:27 AM »
Ryan, bad news  :( I'm am going to have to count myself out.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 10:21:24 PM by Frank M »

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 09:41:16 AM »
No problem Frank. Feel free to join us for the first half on the 17th if you can.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2016, 09:14:27 AM »
Damn, I will be in St Louis the week before for the Bellerive Belle Ringer. Have fun guys.
Mr Hurricane

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2016, 07:18:24 PM »
bump

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back