News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robin_Hiseman

Rio Olympic Course: Where do the spectators go?
« on: February 26, 2016, 05:09:55 AM »
Gil Hanse's Olympic Course looks like it will be a televisual treat, but with the wild grass roughs, lagoons and triple fairways, does anyone have an idea as to how spectator movements are planned?

How many golf fans do you think they are anticipating? One would hope it shall not be like some outlying minor Euro Tour event where there are more officials than fans.

2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Mike_Clayton

Re: Rio Olympic Course: Where do the spectators go?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 05:29:46 AM »
I'd be amazed if there were more spectators than officials.No one is surely going there to watch the golf?
Remember the rowing in Athens with hundreds of meters of empty stands?

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 06:55:39 AM »
Mike

It depends how the local population buy in to it. At the recent Commonwealth Games in Glasgow there was queues to all sorts of events that you wouldn't imagine would have attracted much attention. Some times people just want to get involved even if they can't go to the main events.

Either way, Robins question is an interesting one as you imagine that spectator movement would have been allowed for in the brief.

Niall

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 08:21:23 AM »
The native areas are thin - there's tons of room.

They'll be a massive bank of stands behind the 18th and 9th which allows viewing of four or five holes
People will stay there because they will see so much

There's great vantage points on 16 and 17 from high ground,
Same with 5th, 6th and 7th

Even the holes in the tees are massive, but that would be the toughest area to watch because its flat.
The other great spot is the huge hill between holes 11 and 12

It will be easy to see...
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

JJShanley

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:21:26 AM »
Without wanting to take this OT, I wish that the timing of golf's reintroduction to the Olympics could have coincided with London 2012.  Can you imagine a tournament that alternated between, say, Sunningdale and RSG, with a knowledgeable native crowd?

That said, we've several new male and female players that can make for an excellent occasion.  I hope it all plays out magnificently.

BHoover

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 10:32:18 AM »
I agree that golf made much more sense in London than in Rio. But there was probably money to be made in building a new facility, although not for the taxpayers.

I fully expect the Rio Olympics will be a complete disaster. But golf may look like small potatoes compared to the sewage and disease in the water for the swimming events. So look on the bright side.

JJShanley

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 12:29:42 PM »
I agree that golf made much more sense in London than in Rio. But there was probably money to be made in building a new facility, although not for the taxpayers.

I fully expect the Rio Olympics will be a complete disaster. But golf may look like small potatoes compared to the sewage and disease in the water for the swimming events. So look on the bright side.

London2012 reused as many existing facilities (or retrofitted other venues like Lord's Cricket Ground) as possible so I doubt we'd have built a new course. 

BHoover

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 12:34:46 PM »
That's why London would have made sense for hosting golf. Not Brazil.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »

The World Cup wasn't perfect, but it went better than anticipated.
I'm not saying there won't be issues, but I don't expect golf to be one of them.

With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »
I agree that golf won't be the problem with these Olympics. There are many other, much bigger problems that will make this Olympics an utter fiasco. But you're right, the golf probably won't even be on the radar in terms of issues.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back