News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Ring of Kerry / Ballybunion
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2016, 05:33:32 PM »
Do not be shy about playing Lahinch or Ballybunion Old multiple times.  You could just play those two courses and be fully satisfied with the golf.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2016, 06:00:33 PM »
Ed,
Don't worry about your handicap at any of the courses, just enjoy. I played Lahinch, Ballybunion and Tralee last year with hickories with a 17 Hickory handicap and had a blast playing low running shots :) :)
Ballybunion I felt was perhaps the "better" course but Lahinch was the course that I would most want to be a member at.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 09:55:30 AM »
Ed,
Is this the 2016 Captain's Rating. I haven't received my invitation yet.
Bob

Actually Bob it is a Trump fund raiser.  Seriously we were going to Cabot Cliffs and then one of our boys won a home in Ballybunion at a cancer fundraiser. So to support a great cause we are going over to drink beer, play golf and celebrate making America great again on the 4th of July.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »
Ed,
Don't worry about your handicap at any of the courses, just enjoy. I played Lahinch, Ballybunion and Tralee last year with hickories with a 17 Hickory handicap and had a blast playing low running shots :) :)
Ballybunion I felt was perhaps the "better" course but Lahinch was the course that I would most want to be a member at.

Jay my cap will be toast anyway, playing three rounds at Merion two week before the trip. I should be an 18 by the end of this journey.

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2016, 01:43:20 AM »
Hello Jeff,
We were told you can see Ballybunions Old Course from the home. Having never been there I assume that's good? He states pubs are within walking distance too.
So right now the leaders are, Ballybunion Old, Tralee, Lahinch ,Waterville and Dooks. We are thinking about taking a long ride to Old Head and maybe staying overnight there the last evening. I hear it's good golf with spectacular views. From what I hear maybe two rounds are Ballybunion are in order.

Anything you can add is great.

ed

Ed,
Given that you are located in Ballybunion, which is not exactly the center of Kerry, I'd save Old Head for another trip. There are fabulous views in Kerry everywhere, especially on the drive down to Dooks and Waterville. I'm not sure you'll need to add the views of Old Head in as well which is quite expensive and accurately described by you above.
 I do recommend a drive around the Ring of Kerry (perhaps combined with Waterville) and I also think Killarney is an enchanting place (the course not so much the town)which would be about the same distance simply going around the ring.. I really like Mahoney's Point and it is reasonably priced by SW Ireland standards. Kileen is the former Irish Open course but I found it less charming and probably more expensive.
I must say staying in Ballybunion you really should go down to Dingle (the town) and the course is quite good as well. Maybe a round at Dingle (Ceann Sibeal) then dinner, then 9 holes at Castlegregory on the way home. Or catch Castlegregory after Tralee and save the evening for Dingle.
Castlegregory would be a nice pairing with several courses (Dooks, Killarney, Tralee,Ceann Sibeal)
If you do make the trip down to Old Head, Kinsale is a nice town and Cork GC is worth playing.
That said, if forced to choose, I'd play the two courses on the Dingle peninsula(and go to Dingle!) before I'd drive all the way to Old Head.
Dingle is a fun town where you'll see attractive things other than golfers...Ballybunion, not so much...
Also off the coast of Dingle is the island featured in the most recent Star Wars where my wife and I nearly met our demise 25 year ago-look at it with a telescope or a picture-not in person!

Don't know if any 36 hole days are planned or how long the stay is, and remember the drives take longer than you think.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2016, 09:23:32 AM »
Thanks for the input Jeff, your thoughts were enough to swing the compass down to Dingle. We are there for seven days and losing that much time driving to Kinsale did not make a lot of sense.

I appreciate everyones input. I believe these threads do have merit, maybe limited but how do we see and play great architecture if no one is there to make suggestions?  And yes I have Toms books but enjoy the thoughts of others.

ed

OChatriot

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2016, 11:35:39 AM »
Dooks, Waterville, Ballybunion Old, Tralee, and Lahinch are the can't miss courses. Everything else is good but not great.

Agreed but you forget the Cashen Course at Ballybunion which is easily in that league, if not superior to some of them.

jeffwarne

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
Dooks, Waterville, Ballybunion Old, Tralee, and Lahinch are the can't miss courses. Everything else is good but not great.

Agreed but you forget the Cashen Course at Ballybunion which is easily in that league, if not superior to some of them.

No doubt if staying in Ballybunion The Cashen is a no brainer, especially gven that it's included in Old green fee, but I don't find it superior to any of the above that Jack listed-though many of the holes are quite cool.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

OChatriot

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2016, 11:58:01 AM »
"Dooks, Waterville, Ballybunion Old, Tralee, and Lahinch are the can't miss courses. Everything else is good but not great."

That's almost correct except that missing the Cashen Course is a sin: empty, wild, immense ( world class #3,4,6,7,8,11,13,14,16,17,18) most holes will take your breath away, just skip out-of-place number 12, you'll save 10 mins. It's Tralee on steroids. And better for that.

And, as someone pointed out, 9 holes at Castlegreggory is a fun way to spend 2hrs in a beautiful remote setting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back