News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

What are your favorite golf course history research resources?
« on: February 09, 2016, 03:45:59 PM »
When you are doing historical research on a golf course or club, what are your favorite (or most useful) resources? Is there a particular place where you have had luck finding old articles or aerial photographs?

As a hobby I enjoy collecting old photos, aerials, and articles on my home course and I was curious as to what other sources you guys use.

Thanks.
H.P.S.

V. Kmetz

Re: What are your favorite golf course history research resources?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »
Hello,

Even though it has morphed into the hard particulars, I think you may wish to examine the  Ken Fry-started "Research buffs(?)" thread now showing on the first page...there is a lot in there.

For me the process begins by finding as much is as known (or reported) in whatever source may have tickled your fancy...and then finding out/sourcing how they may have come upon that version of information.

A visit to the local municipal records/Town Clerk's building is often a next step (as I say in that other thread)...pulling the property card and finding out the names and tertiary documents involved in the property's legal history.

Governmental or private company aerial photography, especially whatever historic imagery they have, is of course a great boon to physical understanding of a course. Even with an old or long-dead course I still sometimes get value in merely looking at Google Earth's "Historical Imagery" feature (though often these only go back to the late 80s/early 90s)

Newspapers, old golf periodicals, local historians, librarians and local neighbors can all be part of it.

Happy looking...

cheers
vk

"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:53 PM »
Mine....?...:

Sven Nilsen and Dan Moore... ;D

John Connolly

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 10:30:02 PM »
Our course history was just written with the help of these four very good online resources.

newspapers.com

hathitrust.org

la84.org

http://digitalarchives.usga.org/library/index.php/ (seagle electronic golf library)

"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Phil Young

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:15:24 AM »
The clubhouse!

After doing research directly for more than 30 clubs in the last few years, I have stopped being surprised when I find books of board minutes, documents, photographs, design drawings in clubhouses when I was told things such as "We had a fire and lost everything" or "We've searched everywhere and can't find anything" Golf clubs are notorious for NOT knowing what they have in their possession and not having employees who are interested in doing a true, top-to-bottom search into every nook and cranny from basement to attic to outlier buildings in search of these.

After this its local historical societies followed by libraries at local universities and colleges as these often times have hard copies of old local newspapers that are no longer published and haven't been scanned into any database.

The Otto Probst Library at the PGA Museum is an extremely valuable research source as you can personally look through their volumes of old magazines from both the U.S. & U.K., many of which are not in the USGA's collection. They have a good collection of older club histories as well.

Most important of all is asking for help from others. Because the history of golf course architecture is international in scope, and by that I mean that architects travel across oceans to design courses and have done so since the earliest days of the game in the U.S., that information needed can only be found through the work of many.

Daniel Jones

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 03:34:58 PM »
On a recent project about my home course, it was the people that proved most valuable. One guy had a scrapbook his dad had kept from the early 40's, which brought to light a mostly forgotten visit by Sam Snead. Another had old photos of the original clubhouse that surely no one had seen. Find out who the key players were, see if you can track down their descendants on Facebook, and send a message.. You never know.

And as Phil said, the clubhouse... I found boxes of old records that were collecting dust in a storage closet.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 08:42:10 AM »
NARA
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 11:27:52 AM »
Just found http://historicmapworks.com .

Pretty neat stuff...just looked up the original area of Tedesco (for its first several years 1900-1906), and it even has the landowners and acreage for the plots of land just before the club began.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
Just found http://historicmapworks.com .

Pretty neat stuff...just looked up the original area of Tedesco (for its first several years 1900-1906), and it even has the landowners and acreage for the plots of land just before the club began.

Brad,

This is super neat. Thanks for sharing. My home club has been at it's current location since 1893 so you have to go back a while before it's anything other than a golf course. But it's cool to see how the surrounding area has changed!

My home is a block away from the golf course, and thanks to the above site I found a map showing land owners in 1874. Apparently the farm/land was owned at the time by a man named Wm. Finn. Which is neat because my house abuts Finn St. which I never had any idea where the name came from.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:43:11 AM by PCraig »
H.P.S.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 12:11:44 PM »
Nice Pat!

I spent a couple hours on that website yesterday, partly because of Tedesco, but those Harper's Guides also have another 9-hole golf course in Marblehead from 1898 to at least 1902, only 200 yards from a tiny train station near the M'head/Swampscott border.  I was really curious to see where that might have been...I think I have it relatively pinpointed, and I think my grandparents house was built over that former course in the late 40s/early 50s.

I found it interesting that there is never a mention on the maps of golf clubs, just the landowners that were leasing their pasture lands at the time.  And you are right, there are fantastic insights into the street names...some have changed from what they were 120 years ago, but many follow former landowner names.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back