News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Re: The "Golf Board" - What are your thoughts?
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2016, 12:08:17 AM »
I have become a terrible player in the last 6 months. The exercise becomes even more important. If ?I rode a golf cart or golf board and played like this it would be beyond stupid. To the topic, if they replace carts great.

Michael Graham

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2016, 06:28:27 AM »
I always hoped these would catch on. I can't for the life of me understand why they haven't.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:30:02 AM by Michael Graham »

JJShanley

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2016, 06:34:30 AM »
Pleated pants, while comfortable, look awful.  That's why.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2016, 07:31:06 AM »
Never tried one but would love to. I prefer to walk and carry but the bag gets heavier every Spring so I started pushing last year. I take a cart when others want to or when I've played a lot recently. I would sub out the cart for the board, and certainly would add it to the rotation if I was playing routinely three-four times a week. Variety, and all.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 07:39:12 AM »
I always hoped these would catch on. I can't for the life of me understand why they haven't.

I am dubious of any form of transport on a golf course which requires a helmet or even hints that for your safety a helmet is recommended.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:55:29 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

JC Jones

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 07:43:42 AM »
The hot item at the PGA show seems to be the Golf Board - a motorized supersized skateboard type vehicle for golfers.

Why do we constantly look for ways to keep golf away from its roots as a walking game. One of the primary benefits of golf is the exercise it provides. Yet we keep inventing ways to make golf a game that requires as little physical effort as possible.

I'm of the opinion that the golf cart is the single worst invention in golf... until now. If the Golf Board catches on won't it just perpetuate the ills the cart has brought to the game?

I'd love to take one of these boards for a spin, just not during a round of golf.

What am I missing?

Any chance golf has its roots as a walking game because carts hadn't been invented?  I'm only asking because you were alive when the game came to be. ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

MCirba

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 08:05:32 AM »
They should be named "Nerdomatic". ;)

Then again, it's pretty tough to look cool in a golf cart, as well. 

As a replacement for golf carts I can see but that is only wishful thinking.  Similar with speed of play.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:13:24 AM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

John Kirk

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 11:38:32 AM »
I will summarize.

It's lame.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 12:16:22 PM »
I don't know that I necessarily agree with your claim that they do no damage to the course. Even foot traffic can cause damage. Why would a rolling vehicle be any different?

They have very soft and lower-pressured tires. I did concentric circles on our freshly cut and rolled poa-annua greens (with our Super's blessing--who had done so earlier) and then took them across our bent-grass tees. Did the same for 14 holes. Couldn't see any trace of their tracks. Sure, everything atop a surface has some impact, but GB's have no more than light foot traffic.

Thanks for your nonscientific opinion. I also have a nonscientific opinion. I have seen greens where you are not allowed to take your push/pull cart across (Monarch Dunes), and those that do (Bandon). The lightweight of a golf cart that had to go around the edge of the green will wear the turf down to bare soil. How is it that a wheeled vehicle with the added weight of motor, battery, golf bag, and golfer that is in constant contact with the ground can not be much more damaging than a walking golfer carrying?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 12:23:20 PM »

I am dubious of any form of transport on a golf course which requires a helmet or even hints that for your safety a helmet is recommended.

Ciao

When I see that picture, I don't think helmut. I think CUP.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 12:25:59 PM »
I understand most people's initial bias here against them.  But I suggest you ride one first before discounting them.  Whether we like it or not, golf carts have become integral to most golf operations in the United States.  It's become "the norm" and generally an expectation for most golfers in the states.  The Golf Board provides an alternative that I feel is immensely more enjoyable, speeds up play (unless you're waiting on golfers in front of you), and a more physical experience to a traditional golf cart.  I think they can help draw a younger demographic to a facility, which has been proven to be the case where I work.  I hope the future holds a blend of traditional golf carts and Golf Board types of transportation at most facilities alongside traditional walking and pull/push carts/trolleys.

As for traffic around greens and tees, our superintendent has seen zero impact beyond that of a push cart from Golf Board traffic.
#nowhitebelt

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 12:28:47 PM »

Any chance golf has its roots as a walking game because carts hadn't been invented?  I'm only asking because you were alive when the game came to be. ;D

Any chance there are lots of people that see people riding around in carts to play golf, and don't want to play because of it? How do you know that the predominance of golf carts is not limiting participation in the game?

If every pickup basketball game had to make room for wheelchair players, what would that do to the popularity of basketball participation?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 12:42:51 PM »
I don't know that I necessarily agree with your claim that they do no damage to the course. Even foot traffic can cause damage. Why would a rolling vehicle be any different?

They have very soft and lower-pressured tires. I did concentric circles on our freshly cut and rolled poa-annua greens (with our Super's blessing--who had done so earlier) and then took them across our bent-grass tees. Did the same for 14 holes. Couldn't see any trace of their tracks. Sure, everything atop a surface has some impact, but GB's have no more than light foot traffic.

Thanks for your nonscientific opinion. I also have a nonscientific opinion. I have seen greens where you are not allowed to take your push/pull cart across (Monarch Dunes), and those that do (Bandon). The lightweight of a golf cart that had to go around the edge of the green will wear the turf down to bare soil. How is it that a wheeled vehicle with the added weight of motor, battery, golf bag, and golfer that is in constant contact with the ground can not be much more damaging than a walking golfer carrying?

Garland,

It is hardly rocket science to understand that in some areas of the world where greens and their surrounding turfs are more vulnerable and sensitive to traffic, neither carts, nor golf boards should be permitted whatsoever. Loosely sanded sites probably qualify for this kind of avoidance. In some places, for example on the Australian Sandbelt, pull carts are encouraged to directly traverse their exceptional greens.

In the Northeast US, many venues have very mature turf structures that sit upon firm soils and are more than capable of accepting the dispersed pressure from four softly inflated rubber tires without creating any kind of excessive wear and tear! Sure, a walking, and/or carrying golfer has one of the lightest footprints of any participant, but I can tell you that our highly-talented Superintendent, Brian Chapin could find no signs of damage or imprinting. I'll trust his opinion 365 days of the year.

I would also be willing to wager you that a greater number of golfers in aggregate, use carts (and thus are not "limiting participation in the game"), than walking. I'm hardly endorsing it, but your theory and subsequent analogy using pickup basketball and wheelchairs doesn't hold water.

John,

Don't knock it until you've tried it! :o
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:49:26 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tom_Doak

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 12:55:17 PM »
In some places, for example on the Australian Sandbelt, pull carts are encouraged to directly traverse their exceptional greens.

Sadly, this is quickly dying off in Australia.  The superintendent at Metropolitan, Richard Forsyth, asked for pull carts to be kept off greens, and quickly the course became recognized as the best-conditioned in Australia.  Then Richard moved to Royal Melbourne, and asked the same of them.  I'm sure you can see where that's headed ...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 01:13:01 PM »
These kinds of threads always crack me up...the current generation loathing the next.

I can imagine if a chat board like this existed 90 years ago, that generation would be moaning about the state of the future of the game in similar fashion with the horrors of:

1)  Players not wearing a shirt and tie on the course
2)  Using "metal" clubs on the course.
3)  Wearing synthetic clothing from head to toe instead of proper wool or cotton clothing
4)  Sporting tennis show looking golf shoes instead of proper leather shoes with spikes.
5)  Golfers going out without a caddy.
6)  Playing with balls that travel both straight and long.
7)  Wearing baseball lids.

Etc, etc...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 02:21:40 PM »
Kalen,

After we bought a course back in the late 90's, it was all we could do to get guys to even wear a shirt on warm days.

What was your point again?  :)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

David Ober

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 03:13:41 PM »
Pleated pants, while comfortable, look awful.  That's why.

They are more comfortable -- especially if you are portly!! LOL

David Ober

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »
These kinds of threads always crack me up...the current generation loathing the next.

I can imagine if a chat board like this existed 90 years ago, that generation would be moaning about the state of the future of the game in similar fashion with the horrors of:

1)  Players not wearing a shirt and tie on the course
2)  Using "metal" clubs on the course.
3)  Wearing synthetic clothing from head to toe instead of proper wool or cotton clothing
4)  Sporting tennis show looking golf shoes instead of proper leather shoes with spikes.
5)  Golfers going out without a caddy.
6)  Playing with balls that travel both straight and long.
7)  Wearing baseball lids.

Etc, etc...

Yep.

Here are some more:

8) Putters with the shaft attached to the (gasp!) center of the club!
9) Shorts instead of pants!
10) Short socks instead of long socks!

Idealization of the past is as old as Socrates.

Lester George

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 05:32:40 PM »
unless they come down in price they will go by the wayside.

Lester

JJShanley

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2016, 05:33:58 PM »
So will people typically buy them, or rent them as they would a cart?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2016, 06:56:11 PM »
Kalen,

After we bought a course back in the late 90's, it was all we could do to get guys to even wear a shirt on warm days.

What was your point again?  :)

The point was....

Compared to the "size" of the game in the Golden years (1910s thru mid 1920's)...todays game is far more widespread and there are orders of magnitudes more courses, despite all the "gasp worthy" innovations (by golden year standards) and changes that have occurred in apparel, behavior, and norms otherwise in every aspect of the golf industry.

Ben Sims

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
Few things are more satisfying than calmly cruising a rolling blue run at Breck or Mt Bachelor. One of the things that is more satisfying is hitting a well struck golf shot. Seems natural to me that combining those two items would be very cool. Fuddy duddy's.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2016, 05:23:51 AM »
Michael,

It's about $

John Kirk

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2016, 11:25:37 AM »
   John,

Don't knock it until you've tried it! :o

To those who know me well, I am a notorious late adopter of new technology.  I held out for years before succumbing to an iPhone, and a primary reason for changing was the large buttons for dialing phone numbers.  I try to keep my mind sharp by remembering phone numbers and addresses in my head, and by executing many simple calculations mentally.

I will never buy an electronic distance measuring device for golf, and I will never use a GolfBoard for transport.  I don't even use an umbrella anymore.  If it's raining, I'll put rain gloves on and get soaking wet.  There's already enough "stuff" in golf.

While I am sure the GolfBoard leaves a less destructive trail than a golf cart, I am convinced its footprint is more intrusive than human footprints.  If the course is damp, it will leave noticeable and unsightly tracks, which will be less attractive than footprints.  I suppose the difference between a GolfBoard and a trolley is only modest.

To me, the GolfBoard is pretty offensive, a cool, expensive toy that reduces the physical effort of playing golf.  All told, it is counterproductive to health, but may serve to keep more people playing golf.  To me, it's a waste of lithium ion batteries that could be used for productive energy storage elsewhere.

Walking the golf course is sacred, the single most important aspect of playing golf.  My father used to call golf the "career extender".  He walked and (mostly) carried his bag around the hilly Stanford Golf Course until he died of cancer at age 75.  I had a serious knee surgery when I was 28 years old, and it took my knee 15-20 years before it no longer swelled up after walking a hilly course.  So I used a trolley for many years, and will still use a trolley if my knee gets sore, or while playing several rounds in a short period of time.  But the walk is sacred, a fundamental part of the game, a game which requires a level of fitness, exercises the body and makes it stronger.  Furthermore, I don't see how anyone can expect to properly evaluate golf courses without walking the course.  You can evaluate the quality of shots that a course presents, but you cannot appreciate the true rhythm of the game.

At some real level, the golfer who uses a cart or GolfBoard is cheating.  I'm sure they are fun to use, but for me, the GolfBoard is just counterproductive crap.  You're supposed to walk the course.

Michael Graham

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2016, 12:08:41 PM »
For those of you fuddy duddies who aren't convinced by the Golf Board, how about this?

Only $995!

« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:10:23 PM by Michael Graham »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back