News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

The "Golf Board" - What are your thoughts?
« on: January 26, 2016, 11:56:36 AM »
The hot item at the PGA show seems to be the Golf Board - a motorized supersized skateboard type vehicle for golfers.

Why do we constantly look for ways to keep golf away from its roots as a walking game. One of the primary benefits of golf is the exercise it provides. Yet we keep inventing ways to make golf a game that requires as little physical effort as possible.

I'm of the opinion that the golf cart is the single worst invention in golf... until now. If the Golf Board catches on won't it just perpetuate the ills the cart has brought to the game?

I'd love to take one of these boards for a spin, just not during a round of golf.

What am I missing?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Dan Kelly

Re: The "Golf Board" - What are your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 12:00:49 PM »
Someday, soon (if we're lucky), you'll be able to watch one of these Golf Board Fails compilations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Il1se_Fmv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8-UmxOWSMU

That will be its only socially redeeming feature.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 12:23:40 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:02:56 PM »
I can't wait to put on my Travis Matthew synthetic golf shirt, my spike less golf shoes, my favorite flat billed hat, and my skinny five pocket golf jeans and give this new golf board invention a try!!!!

H.P.S.

BHoover

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 12:09:33 PM »
I can't wait to put on my Travis Matthew synthetic golf shirt, my spike less golf shoes, my favorite flat billed hat, and my skinny five pocket golf jeans and give this new golf board invention a try!!!!

So you're going as Matt Ginella for Halloween???

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »

Why do we constantly look for ways to keep golf away from its roots as a walking game. One of the primary benefits of golf is the exercise it provides. Yet we keep inventing ways to make golf a game that requires as little physical effort as possible.

What am I missing?

See the thread about does the game need to grow or not, and the implications thereof for equipment manufacturers.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »

So you're going as Matt Ginella for Halloween???

No way, I wouldn't button the top button on a golf shirt even if it were only for a costume:

H.P.S.

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:33:13 PM »
The bill of that cap has a bit too much curve.

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 01:29:59 PM »
Yet another sign of impending apocalypse.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 01:36:54 PM »
The hot item at the PGA show seems to be the Golf Board - a motorized supersized skateboard type vehicle for golfers.

I'm of the opinion that the golf cart is the single worst invention in golf... until now. If the Golf Board catches on won't it just perpetuate the ills the cart has brought to the game?

I'd love to take one of these boards for a spin, just not during a round of golf.

What am I missing?
Mike,
Don't know about you, but I lack balance. If one can't acquire a balanced swing, how can you ride?
Also, multiple ignition points in cart storage.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »
My 9 year old has little to no interest in golf (and indeed delights in poking fun at his papa's "boring" choices in clothes, sports, music, literature, food and drink.) But when I told him a few months ago about this board he said "Awesome! I would play golf if they had THAT". Does he speak for an entire generation of little people? I don't know. But if he does, that's okay with me -- as long as they still ALSO allow the boring old sods in chinos and cable-knit sweaters to walk and carry a Sunday bag of persimmons.
Peter

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 01:46:32 PM »
I (non)  ;D  respectfully disagree with all of you naysayers! :o

I've spent a little time on one of these and truth-be-told, they are really fun. They beat the hell out of using a cart, definitely speed up play, do no damage to the course and add another dimension of pleasure to a round.

They will most certainly serve to attract the otherwise golf-aloof millennials and (wishfully) replace some carts.

As a 58yr old with an artificial knee, I like to walk whenever I can, occasionally carrying my bag, but wouldn't think of doing so on very hilly courses. Having once been a professionally competitive skier and accomplished snowboarder, a golf board is terrific tool that makes that kind of round even more fun!

I'm not saying they should replace caddies at Sand Hills or TOC, but don't be some kind of purist snob and assume it's a detriment to the game until you've tried one!

Signed,

Not Matt Ginella
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:12:42 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

BHoover

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 02:04:41 PM »
I don't know that I necessarily agree with your claim that they do no damage to the course. Even foot traffic can cause damage. Why would a rolling vehicle be any different?

Steve Lapper

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 02:07:58 PM »
I don't know that I necessarily agree with your claim that they do no damage to the course. Even foot traffic can cause damage. Why would a rolling vehicle be any different?

They have very soft and lower-pressured tires. I did concentric circles on our freshly cut and rolled poa-annua greens (with our Super's blessing--who had done so earlier) and then took them across our bent-grass tees. Did the same for 14 holes. Couldn't see any trace of their tracks. Sure, everything atop a surface has some impact, but GB's have no more than light foot traffic.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:11:24 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2016, 03:03:14 PM »
Could a golf course reinvent itself as the gnarly, crunchy place for groovy beginners to play the game? Might have golf boards, large holes, maybe some more trendy stuff, and serve as an access point for youth and adults who lack a traditional (read:CC membership or caddie program) introduction to the game?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2016, 03:31:32 PM »
While I have no interest in using one, these things seem a million times better than golf carts.

And if they bring with them the whiff of other board sports like snowboarding and surfing, well, that's not too bad either. Both rely on physically conquering natural, uncontrived landscapes. Sounds a lot like what we do. In fact, I'd more than welcome that conflation from the outside world.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

David Ober

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2016, 04:08:40 PM »
One of the guys from SoCal used one in the Scratch League state finals at Poppy Hills. Looked like a complete blast. I would definitely use one, if offered.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »
Whatever happened to golfers using Segways?
atb

Mike_Young

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2016, 04:17:04 PM »
I saw them today at demo day....I don't know about this....insurance will be the largest obstacle. 
The one thing I do know after spending 5 hours at demo day is that the industry has changed.  The place was just crawling with whackers asking for an alignment stick or "I'm a clubmaker and how much will a set of aerotech i95 shafts cost me."   Just a ton of losers out there for lack of a better word.  Several guys noted the same thing and commented there was really no need to come to demo day anymore.  Let's face it. There are only about 500 really good club pro jobs and the rest are changing fast....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »
I saw a guy go zooming by on one when my wife and I were playing Dunedin GC Florida last month. I can see all of the lawsuits when people who lack cycling skills are crashing and getting injured  on the course, and it is bound to happen just like it does with golf carts, which is probably less often. As a former National BMX racing champion, I would like them, but I don't see them as something that is better than a cart or even walking for that matter. It's a passing fad, just like the llama caddies at Talamore in Pinehurst. I am a FIRM believer that slow play is caused by people who are NOT taught the game and how to hit the ball when ready, marking your score at the next tee, leaving your clubs on the same side of the green as you exit, etc, etc. The only time carts really speed up play is when you have really long distances and or long, steep hill in between holes.If you are golfing as a single with no one ahead of you a cart is faster then as well, but not on a busy golf course.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:28:50 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 04:22:36 PM »
I like walking so probably don't need a golfboard, despite how cool they may be for a round or two.

But as an alternative to a golf cart, why not?

Architecturally, if the thing takes off (probably never to the point where carts disappear), would we see the need for cart paths (and the design challenges they present) go away?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2016, 04:47:36 PM »
I don't see the harm.  Naysayers remind me of skiers that hated it when snowboards were introduced in the early nineties.  Benefits are obvious (speed up play, attract younger generation), so the only question is what harm they cause.  I can't really think of any the outweigh the gains.   

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2016, 05:30:55 PM »
I am pretty old school on golf but I have to say the Golf Board is a fantastic product.  It has helped bring a younger demographic to the place I work and is a superior experience to a golf cart IMO.  They are quite easy to ride and (knock on wood) we have had zero injuries or incidents after 5 months of daily use.  We are getting over 90% of the people using them leaving with a positive opinion of their experience riding them.  They aren't for people with significant balance and coordination issues, but I've had men in their 70's use them.  While I think walking is the best way to play, a Golf Board is a great alternative to golf carts in almost every way.  Just my opinion of course.
#nowhitebelt

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 05:58:58 PM »
OK, I'm going to soften my position a bit...

I can see how these boards could be an improvement to using carts. And, how they might reduce or eliminate the need for paved paths (a good thing IMO).

But, I just believe the best future of golf is in tying it to its past by promoting the health aspects of the game... walking and physical activity. Isn't  this why Dr. MacKenzie became an disciple of golf and altered his career path to design courses?
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2016, 07:09:18 PM »

What happens in the rain?
Or, if, the fairways are covered with dew?  ;) 

BHoover

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2016, 09:54:03 PM »

What happens in the rain?
Or, if, the fairways are covered with dew?  ;)

The dew should be swept off the fairways! Think of the calamity if Pat, in his performance fabric shirt, fully buttoned, five-pocket jeans, and flat-billed cap, were cruising the course on his GolfBoard only to find the dew spraying up on his high top spikeless shoes! Oh, the humanity.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back