News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Schley

Re: One Round on a Public Course in LA?
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 04:53:52 AM »
Not the best track IMO but have an affinity for Rancho Park for it has history, central location for sure, and is busy as hell.  It is always packed and like the activity. 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 11:27:48 AM »
Goose Creek in Mira Loma.

David,

I have heard good things about this course over the years and will have to make a point to get out there some time when time permits (it sure won't on this trip, unfortunately).

Thanks to others for the thoughts, as well.

Jeff, I finally played Rancho just earlier this year and thought it was really good. Could use some tree management for sure and some bunker work and there are some greens that need to be expanded, I'm guessing. But the bones of the course are the routing over the land and that's all there and it's great. Not a lot you can do about the 18th hole at this point, though, unfortunately (unless they get rid of the range, I guess). But I really liked the place.

Mark, I have played Olivas a couple of times and love it. Just didn't mention it because it's really too far for me in one afternoon. Wonderful course, though. Last summer I actually did manage to fly in to Burbank, play Rustic as a single, then drive out to Olivas and play there as the sun was going down. Pretty amazing 36 hole day, but I didn't have evening plans then. If you're just looking at a golf trip, I'd highly recommedn doing then, staying out in Ventura, then heading toward the courses in Ojai.

Finally, Chris, thanks for mentioning Los Verdes. That;s another I've always wanted to get to but never have. I love the peninsula but it is hard to get out there (easier if flying into LAX).

I also always wanted to play Palos Verdes CC but it appears they no longer allow the afternoon outside play as they once did, which is a shame. For me, anyway.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 12:13:42 PM »
Here's another vote for Los Verdes; it's now perhaps William Francis Bell's best remaining course. Fabulous views of the Pacific from on high on every hole. Greens cunningly benched into the hillside, Just a fun place to golf your ball. Do they still let fivesomes off in every group? Very sorry to hear Palos Verdes CC doesn't allow outside play, as it was the one LA private that gave the public a glimpse off the good life!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

V_Halyard

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 11:46:35 AM »
Really valuable feedback.  We're staying very close to Santa Anita in the Pasadena hills and will hit there and Rustic too if we have time.

Where did you end up playing?
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 12:11:57 AM »
Here's another vote for Los Verdes; it's now perhaps William Francis Bell's best remaining course. Fabulous views of the Pacific from on high on every hole. Greens cunningly benched into the hillside, Just a fun place to golf your ball. Do they still let fivesomes off in every group? Very sorry to hear Palos Verdes CC doesn't allow outside play, as it was the one LA private that gave the public a glimpse off the good life!

They used to allow 5somes every weekend when I played there in late 90's early 00's.  It was 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hour rounds and you just knew that going in.  Heaven forbid if there was a fog delay.
- Steve Prefontaine

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2018, 01:49:11 PM »
Really valuable feedback.  We're staying very close to Santa Anita in the Pasadena hills and will hit there and Rustic too if we have time.

Where did you end up playing?

I played Rustic, which was very busy. But it was a holiday, I guess. Slowest round I've ever had out there, by far. Over four and a half hours.

Then again made the walk a bit easier on what was a hot afternoon, since there was a plenty of opportunity to sit and rest, I guess?

Course was in pretty good shape. Surprisingly green, but still pretty firm. Greens were a touch on the slow side, but rolled well enough.

Tal Oz

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 12:04:43 AM »
Rustic has been having a tough summer for pace of play. It's been consistently over 4.5 hours all summer long. They recently added GolfNow as a partner for bookings which has noticeably impacted the pace. Also Tierra Rejada is closing or has just closed and that will add congestion for sure. A friend played there today (a Monday) and said it took nearly 5 hours

As for the conditioning of the course, it's finally starting to firm back up again. They did a big verticut project on all of the aprons and green surrounds in July which eliminated most of the ground game for a few weeks. Considering how small the grounds crew and budget are, I'm happy with the green speeds.
Rustic really plays the best in the late fall and winter when the fairways get bouncy and the greens firm up.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 02:05:23 AM »
Rustic has been having a tough summer for pace of play. It's been consistently over 4.5 hours all summer long. They recently added GolfNow as a partner for bookings which has noticeably impacted the pace. Also Tierra Rejada is closing or has just closed and that will add congestion for sure. A friend played there today (a Monday) and said it took nearly 5 hours

As for the conditioning of the course, it's finally starting to firm back up again. They did a big verticut project on all of the aprons and green surrounds in July which eliminated most of the ground game for a few weeks. Considering how small the grounds crew and budget are, I'm happy with the green speeds.
Rustic really plays the best in the late fall and winter when the fairways get bouncy and the greens firm up.
Tierra Rejada is closing?  Wow that is disappointing. I haven't played there in over 10 years, but was a good option. 

A friend who plays out in the valley quite a bit says Rustic conditioning hasn't been good the past 2 years in his opinion.  Not sure as I haven't been out there.
- Steve Prefontaine

B.Ross

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 04:39:05 PM »
Tierra Rejada is not closing. It was recently sold to Arccis Golf, who manage another public nearby as well as 2 private courses north of LA. at that other public, arccis has really bumped up the prices. they recently aerated, but the place remains open. its rinky-dink 17th hole is the sight of my 1 & only hole-in-one.

Tal Oz

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2018, 09:14:33 PM »
I guess all of the chatter of it closing was just chatter. Frankly I thought it was a poor cartball course with far too many drop shot tee shots that with any wind became needlessly difficult. I'm happy it's staying open if that means relieving some congestion down the street at rustic.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back