News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean Walsh

Some Course Development Questions
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:46:20 PM »
A few questions for the professionals among us.

How much water would a single green (average size) take to keep viable? (Australian summer conditions i.e hot and long summer - dry from October to Late March/April)

How much additional water to keep grass in the surrounding 20 yards healthy? 

How much would it cost to build a single green (average size)? (parameters - not a sandy base and green needs to be built from scratch)

For others:

Has anyone got any experience with crowdfunding?

How did it go?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 09:48:42 PM by Sean Walsh »

James Bennett

Re: Some Course Development Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 03:34:03 AM »
Sean

work out the evaporation rate (probably about 5mm a day in summer).  Some days are more extreme (can be double) but other days are less.
Deduct any rainfall if reliable.
Multiply the daily mm by the green area to be covered, and you have a rough budget for the water.
For the surrounds, you might need two-thirds of the evaporation rate.

So, a 400 sq metre green (20 metres by 20 metres) needing 5mm a day for 5 months needs 400 sq metres x 0.005 metre x 150 days = 300 sq metres of water = 300 tonnes of water = 300 kilo litres for the summer.

If you use a drought-resistant grass eg couch, then less water.  Benet is middle of the road, poa might need more than 100% of evaporation, especially when a hot drought is hitting you.

Hope this helps

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Sean Walsh

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 04:01:47 AM »
Exactly what I was looking for.

A great starting point.

Thanks James

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 10:58:41 PM »
Sean, I would call around 100km radius other GC's, and speak to the Super's, I would have thought most are pretty down to earth and happy to discuss their plots I would expect.

Could you use 1920's like (I think) above ground sprinklers and avoid in ground expense?

@theflatsticker

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back