News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Sand Storm!
« on: December 20, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »
Item on a sand storm that covered 2 holes of the 9-hole course on the Isle of Harris.

http://scottishgolfpodcast.com/sand-storm-covers-scottish-golf-course/

Any news from Askernish?

Thomas Dai

Re: Sand Storm!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 01:11:40 PM »
I'm sure there are a few clay based inland UK courses that would like to 'suffer' a free sand storm top dressing every now and then!

Seriously, I've seen the likes of 13-14-15-16 at Cruden Bay and 1-2-3 at Royal Aberdeen suffer like this. The following morning the greenkeepers would be out using witches-broomsticks on the greens and an tees and chains would be pulled behind maintenance vehicles along the fairways and play would go on with the grass just growing through it in time. Slightly more hassle though if a depression or bunker 'fills-up'. I've also seen storms remove all the sand from a bunker.

Pretty much the same with shamal sand storms in the Middle East.

I'd be interested to know how (sand) storms such as these effect the non-revetted bunkers at courses like Castle Stuart and inlanders such as Sand Hills, Dismal River plus any others. Do they distroy the profiles and require lots of work to repair them?

Atb
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 01:36:18 PM by Thomas Dai »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
News from Askernish is that they are suffering 'nothing worse than usual'. They get sand blow onto the course every winter.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:47:41 AM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 09:36:02 AM »
Sorry to hear about the course on Harris -- it is a beautiful spot.  Hopefully the turf grows right through it, they would not have the manpower to clean off a bunch of sand drifts.

Thomas, yes indeed the bunkers at places like Sand Hills and Pacific Dunes do suffer from wind erosion, in serious volume.  Out on the prairie it's possible to use soil cement during the winter months to keep it from going crazy, because you don't have to worry about golfers, but in year-round golf climates [Bandon or Barnbougle] it's that much more of a problem.  Putting sand back in bunkers [or shoveling sand back from one side of the bunker to the other] is a significant part of their maintenance budgets.

Building such courses is also fraught with sand-storm issues.  We built in Bandon during the winter months when the rain helps to keep the sand in place, but at Tara Iti in New Zealand we had several holes that had to be re-shaped between shaping and planting, because the wind made a mess of them before the irrigation could be installed and turned on.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 09:47:22 AM »
Sorry to hear about the course on Harris -- it is a beautiful spot.  Hopefully the turf grows right through it, they would not have the manpower to clean off a bunch of sand drifts.

Thomas, yes indeed the bunkers at places like Sand Hills and Pacific Dunes do suffer from wind erosion, in serious volume.  Out on the prairie it's possible to use soil cement during the winter months to keep it from going crazy, because you don't have to worry about golfers, but in year-round golf climates [Bandon or Barnbougle] it's that much more of a problem.  Putting sand back in bunkers [or shoveling sand back from one side of the bunker to the other] is a significant part of their maintenance budgets.

Building such courses is also fraught with sand-storm issues.  We built in Bandon during the winter months when the rain helps to keep the sand in place, but at Tara Iti in New Zealand we had several holes that had to be re-shaped between shaping and planting, because the wind made a mess of them before the irrigation could be installed and turned on.

When I visited Barnbougle during the construction of Lost Farm, the day I got there it was blowing like crazy, I mean the sort of wind that makes golf just about impossible. Keith Rhebb, who was running the job for C&C, had LF just about ready to start seeding, which of course meant vast amounts of exposed sand. The irrigation system was running flat out trying to keep the sand wet and heavy enough that it didn't all blow away, but I'm sure a degree of reshaping was required once the gale blew itself out.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 10:12:40 AM »
during the construction of barnbougle dunes, the bottom of the 10th fairway had just been capped with about a 1-2 feet of sand when we heard about a major storm approching late one afternoon
I remember being at the pub one evening with the crew, looking outside and hoping the rain would come before the wind... it didn't..
We came back the next day and the sand fron the 10th fairway moved inland about 80 yards !!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back