News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:40:50 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Joe Bausch

Re: Solutions to Reducing impact of a Creek flooding on a reccuring basis
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 03:01:03 PM »
Hire a person that deals with such things for a living.

Like Mark Gutshall at Land Studies.

You're welcome.   :)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 03:20:52 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 04:34:25 PM »
Holy crap, has this ever been a topic at our course!

We have the West Branch of the North Fork of the Chicago River (It looks like a big creek - about 20' across) running through our back 9. It floods the course 2-3 times per year and has been doing this for over 120 years and has impacted the US Amateur as well as the member/guest.

Will just give you a summary of what we have done,. The assumption is: You cannot stop the river from rising, so what you need to focus on is getting standing water off the course once the water recedes so that the course returns to playability in less time thus minimizing the negative impact.

We could not block the river, divert the river or otherwise build larger banks without violating either: 1) county water reclamation laws or 2) Army Corp of Engineers guidelines....I think...? Anyway, had we done it, we would have been at risk.

(Of note is that, when the river floods, our greens and tee boxes are rarely affected. Also, maybe only 2-3 bunkers.)

1. On the four holes that are the most affected, we installed cisterns/vaults and pumps that moved the water on the fairways to these collection areas - then back into the river - when the water receded back into the river bank.

2. We bought gas-powered pumps that are placed near the standing water and it pumps the water back into the river.

3. We installed "Water Wikking" technology in parts of our fairways. Installed using a machine that cuts 1" wide trenches in fairways about 12-15" deep and then fills them with pea gravel. Made a huge difference in dry times.

The river is on 7/9 holes on the back 9 at our course so this was a significant issue.
Bottom line: after a flood event today, out course may be closed only 24 hours compared to 5 years ago when it could have been 2-3 days.

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 05:54:43 PM »
Joe Bausch is correct.  Hire an expert like Mark Gutshall. 
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Steve Lang

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 06:52:11 PM »
 8)  Nothing against the Philly area guy (Lancaster, PA is close enough to Philly) but seriously Ben, there are plenty of engineers (and Drainage Nerds like JB) that can manage the movement of water and get it permitted, and down in Columbus there's even the Drainage Hall of Fame!  You might consider it as there's a brewery district west of German Village a couple of miles away..  see map

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:47:10 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »
For better or worse, I have a lot of projects where I have done this, usually without the need for a drainage engineer, because, as Brad Klein once wrote, I am a drainage nerd..... ::)

But, its pretty simple conceptually......raise all fairways to a minimum 2, 5 or 10 year flood elevation, leaving roughs low.  How much is a site specific question.  Of course, you need to dig some lakes and make sure you have the compensatory storage volume in the free board, not always an easy task, and sometimes leading to more water holes than you want.  Greens and tees get raised to 25, 50 or 100 as feasible.

Then, re-grade most areas to have minimum 3-4% slope so the water moves faster to drain outlets when it can.  Oversize catch basins for silt intrusion, expect to clean them out (also, make at least some big enough for humans to get in for maintenance)

I rarely use french drains in similar applications, because the silt or each flood tends to weaken their function.

Hopefully, it can be done with a gravity system, but sometimes, as noted, pumps are a nice addition. 

Like I say, I have done this so often, I can do it in my sleep.  Well almost......Years ago here, I was accused of taking swipes at Gil and Geoff for not raising the fairways at Rustic Canyon.  Geoff said regulations prevented it, and I agree (as per above) that they surely at least limited it.  But, he also mentioned that they wanted to preserve "micro contours" so I could never be sure of what the whole deal was, nor was I going to research it. 

My only point was that to nerds like me, the idea of NOT raising and grading fairways to limit flood damage and speed drainage a pretty foreign concept.......and that sometimes, basic approaches other than minimalism were required.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:22:15 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mark_Fine

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 02:05:41 PM »
I recently finished a project rebuilding one of the oldest island greens in the country at Waynesboro CC and brought in Mark Gutshall as part of the team.  He is great.  One of his first golf projects was the work he did with us on our stream bank project at Lehigh CC.  The success of that project has really propelled him. He is excellent and I use his services often! 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 02:15:38 PM »
Mark,

Is Mark G an engineer?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

MCirba

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »
Hi Mark,

Which Waynesboro CC?   Good to hear from you!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Michael Blake

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 05:22:11 PM »
Hi Mark,

Which Waynesboro CC?   Good to hear from you!

South Central PA

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back