News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

RC 2022
« on: December 14, 2015, 05:36:58 AM »
Going to Italy. Marco Simone Golf Club outside Rome. Big surprise, to me at least, both the German and Spanish bids were expressing serious confidence.

I don't know the course. Jim Fazio design, but the press release says it will be 'completely redesigned', most likely by EGD I expect. Anyone played it?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adam Lawrence

Re: RC 2022
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:54:27 AM »
Key factor in the Italian win appears to have been the commitment to increase the prize fund for the Italian Open. This year is was €1.5 million. 2016, it'll be €3 million. And then, for the next 11 years, it will be a minimum of €7 million. So in that alone, the Cup bid will cost the Italian federation a minimum of €62 million. And people think the RC is not big money!!!!!
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 06:27:19 AM »
I suppose that's right from the tour perspective. Sell to best price. It would be nice if some money filtered into the lesser tours, Seniors tour is on it's knees, the challenge tour very expensive to play (so some can't) and everything below they play for their own money.

From a fan's perspective I find myself watching less golf because A) the players spend so long faffing about its become like a 5 day cricket match and B) The courses are very dull and they tend to look the same. I just watch the majors.

Ryder Cup is a big thing this side of the pond. Going into mainland Europe for the next 4 seems the wrong call and a possible diluter. I hope they don't bugger it up.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Michael Felton

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 08:07:56 AM »
Key factor in the Italian win appears to have been the commitment to increase the prize fund for the Italian Open. This year is was €1.5 million. 2016, it'll be €3 million. And then, for the next 11 years, it will be a minimum of €7 million. So in that alone, the Cup bid will cost the Italian federation a minimum of €62 million. And people think the RC is not big money!!!!!

Hopefully there's a decent chunk of investment in that though. More prize money hopefully equals better field equals more sponsors equals more money

David_Tepper

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 06:29:12 PM »

Construction of the Marco Simone course near Rome will be complete in spring 2020 per this item on the club's website.

Rome Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - The transformation of the Marco Simone Golf Club in Guidonia Montecelio, Rome – host venue to The 2022 Ryder Cup – is underway with architects, engineers and agronomists starting work on the first phase of the project which will see the construction of a state of the art, purpose-built venue for Europe’s next home Ryder Cup match. Led by European Golf Design and co-design with Tom Fazio II (son of the original architect of the Marco Simone Golf Club, Jim Fazio), the Roman site, controlled by the Biagiotti family, will undergo a complete overhaul with an entirely new golf course being built to stage golf’s greatest team event in four years’ time.
   The vast infrastructural demands of the modern-day Ryder Cup will also see new roads, lakes, cart paths and irrigation systems incorporated into the redesign of the Marco Simone Golf Club to ensure the venue can accommodate the huge grandstands and hospitality structures required to accommodate the huge crowds in attendance at The 2022 Ryder Cup. Marco Simone is an ambitious project created in the late 1980s by the fashion designer/entrepreneur Laura Biagiotti with the aim to transform 150 hectars of the Roman country in 27 spectacular golf holes surrounding Marco Simone castle with its antique tower of the year 1000. The Golf Club is located at 10.5 miles from the heart of Rome and offers numerous views of St. Peter’s dome. Marco Simone hosted the Italian open in 1994.
The entire project will be divided into four phases, with the golf course scheduled to be completed in the spring of 2020. The 2021 Italian Open will then be staged at Marco Simone before the Ryder Cup takes centre stage in September 2022.  The four phases of the project will allow the members and visitors to play on a course of 18 holes during all the works and enjoy the change of Marco Simone Golf into an iconic Ryder Cup course.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:25:46 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Carl Rogers

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 09:45:26 PM »
from the 2018 course, the Euros have discovered the right course set-up
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »
With the European Tour owning 60% of the European rights and the PGA of Europe 20% it’s no wonder mainland Europe is getting a good run of hosting. The original owners the PGA of GB&I now only own 20%.
Cave Nil Vino

jeffwarne

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 11:06:32 AM »
I am excited and DEFINITELY going to Rome.
What a way to combine golf and touring.
three days of touring(two Paris,one Senlis/Chantilly), two days of golf (Chantilly, Morfontaine-27), two days of Ryder Cup.
One of the best trips I've ever taken.(Arble would've been proud)
The French people were uniformly helpful, gracious,polite and tolerant of this language challeneged hick.

Whichever PGA owns the Euro Ryder Cup needs to get a handle on garbage.
I noticed Friday that there were very few trash cans on the course-hard to find one-and those you found were beyond overflowing all over the nearby ground.(kind of a Euro thing to expect people to carry their garbage out-great in principle but runs out of steam on sheer volume consumed)
By Sunday(I wasn't there Saturday) fans were leaving their garbage wherever they had consumed it.
Selling beer by the 12 pack doesn't help.
Literally thousands of cans ,empty 12 packs, bottles and paper garbage on EVERY hole surrounding every green.
I've never seen that anywhere-and every  trash can had 3 times as much garbage around it as in it.
Somebody did an "F" job of planning at an otherwise extremely well planned event.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 12:12:18 PM »
Jeff,
With regard to the garbage cans, or lack of, this might possibly be security related. It may be different in France, and other countries, but in the UK, especially in cities and at major events, garbage cans have historically been a place where those wishing to make a violent political etc statement have been known to leave unpleasant devices.
atb

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 01:05:36 PM »
Back on topic
What are the GCA picks for golf around Rome?
0-4 hours travel time
i.e. classic. old  world ,quirky (modern conditioning need not appy)not the latest Euro waterfest/electric green site
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 02:47:43 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 02:29:52 PM »
With the European Tour owning 60% of the European rights and the PGA of Europe 20% it’s no wonder mainland Europe is getting a good run of hosting. The original owners the PGA of GB&I now only own 20%.

Mark,

there is no such thing as the PGA of GB&I. Its just The PGA  ;)

Sam Krume

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 05:43:00 AM »
Sorry to chime in about the rubbish...Jeff,With regards to the rubbish at the RC, after each hole was finished on the sunday, there was an army of litter pickers descending on each hole to clear away the rubbish that was left. Unfortunately with an apparent 75,000 fans on site on the Sunday and not enough bins, there was always going to be some garbage left lying about. I thought they did a great job in clearing up the site ASAP.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 10:20:37 AM »
Jeff,
Better not actually go into Rome, if garbage isn't your thing. Bins were overflowing when I was there, summer of 2017. Didn't bother me, as I was on the move or napping all the time (played a lot of Pokemon Go for the hidden historical-site value). Great city. Unbelievable city.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 10:29:40 AM »
When do they announce the 2026 venue?

Adare in County Limerick is the bookies favourite

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »

Jeff,
Better not actually go into Rome, if garbage isn't your thing. Bins were overflowing when I was there, summer of 2017. Didn't bother me, as I was on the move or napping all the time (played a lot of Pokemon Go for the hidden historical-site value). Great city. Unbelievable city.

plus, they tried to pickpocket me the first day

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »
When do they announce the 2026 venue?

Adare in County Limerick is the bookies favourite

Paris was announced in 2011, so going by that it will be sometime next year. However, no formal bid process has been announced yet. This is likely because Guy Kinnings has just taken on the role of Ryder Cup Europe boss from Richard Hills, so this bid will be the first on his watch. I'd expect to see news on this coming out within a few months. We were already well into the 2018 bid process by this time back in 2010.

2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back