News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Lapper

GD-New Pimp Daddy
« on: December 09, 2015, 12:17:34 PM »
Golf Digest to charge existing raters $250......new ones a $750 initiation fee (does that come with heels??)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:10:17 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Greg Tallman

Re: New Pimp Daddy
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 12:44:22 PM »
Golf Digest to charge existing raters $250......new ones a $750 initiation fee (does that come with heels??)

Based on what? (Rhetroical question)

I think the entire industry must rethink the access provided to such panelists. Particularly those paying SOMEBODY ELSE for that access.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 12:51:50 PM »
I was the guy who first told Dr. Klein that he needed to charge Rater's for their Golden Ticket. I'm thrilled to see this idea flourish. They could and should be charging a $1,000 a head.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 01:10:00 PM »

Based on what? (Rhetroical question)

I think the entire industry must rethink the access provided to such panelists. Particularly those paying SOMEBODY ELSE for that access.

Greg,

I certainly don't disagree with your assessment. Personally, I think they are paying to get a unique chance to play with some other low-handicap, half-blind, faux critics....but then again I'm probably a wee bit prejudiced. Hope all is well by you and yours. Happy Holidays!

S
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:38:27 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kalen Braley

Re: GD-New Pimp Daddy
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 01:35:44 PM »
I find some of these comments a tad insulting to a few GD raters on this site that I know.

They are very intelligent guys who have a great understanding of GCA and its history.

P.S.  I don't see why charging a fee is such a big deal here when you consider the thousands they already spend from their own pockets in travel expenses.

Phil Young

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 03:43:37 PM »
$1,000 and I get to play and rate ANGC, PV, NGLA and every other course of which I've dreamt... Sign me up now!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 04:17:58 PM »
$1,000 and I get to play and rate ANGC, PV, NGLA and every other course of which I've dreamt... Sign me up now!

Ehhh....Nope...but you do get unfettered access to Canyata, Rich Harvest Farms, Pikewood National, and The Alotian Club!

Paging Shultzie!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:16:09 PM by Steve Lapper »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 07:48:49 PM »
I'm with JAKAB

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 07:50:16 PM »
Steve,

Be very careful, lest the moronic "title" police voice their disapproval 😜

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
I was on the call last night listening to Ron Whitten.

The decision came from Conde Naste and I assume the few hundred thousand they collect will be used to offset the cost of running the panel.

The panelists web site was busy today with a mixed reaction. I suspect they will lose 20% of the panelists???

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 08:59:23 PM »
Joel,

When you consider that some clubs charge $ 200, 250, 400 and 450 for unaccompanied guests, $ 250 seems like a bargain ticket.

I suspect that the 20 % you allude to were primarily interested in access.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »

I suspect that the 20 % you allude to were primarily interested in access.

Nah, you Moron, that 20% stayed. They viewed it as cheap optionality. 8)

Brad Klein

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »
Sorry, JK, more bullshit from you. Take credit it you want but I never, ever listened to you or took your emails or posts.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »
Brad,

Thanks for the response. Glad you took time to finally read one of my posts. I'm flattered. Seriously, the quality of your panel has improved since it became a profit center. Keep up the good work!!!

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 09:50:33 PM »
Joel,

When you consider that some clubs charge $ 200, 250, 400 and 450 for unaccompanied guests, $ 250 seems like a bargain ticket.

Someone on the web site said they had save $8,000 to $10,000 on green fees. Sadly these access hounds are the ones that need to leave.

I only pulled my rater card once this year and it wasn't a significant course, just a private Fazio course that I wanted to see.

I'm ambivalent about this change.

Brad Klein

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 09:52:11 PM »
It's not that hard to discern who the access whores are. I try to get rid of them. Can't say we always succeed but we keep an eye out for them.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:03:53 PM by Brad Klein »

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2015, 07:31:37 AM »
Joel

As a matter of interest how many courses have you rated this year ? Do you feel you have to look a certain amount to keep yourself current ?

Niall

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2015, 10:04:23 AM »
The panelists web site was busy today with a mixed reaction. I suspect they will lose 20% of the panelists???

I don't know about "busy." How exactly do you gather Golf Digest will lose 20% of their panelists based on 8 responses (3 of which were essentially in favor of the new policy)? 
H.P.S.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2015, 01:43:06 PM »

I don't know about "busy." How exactly do you gather Golf Digest will lose 20% of their panelists based on 8 responses (3 of which were essentially in favor of the new policy)?

8 responses is quite a few for that web site and from the panelists I talked too many are reading the posts.

Niall:
I don't have a number that I try to see.  I only go to courses that interest me.  Others try for quantity, I go for quality.  Call me spoiled.  Fortunately at this point in my life I get invited to play the courses I want to see or know someone who is a member.

JESII

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »

Besides, if you're going to be a whore, you're supposed to GET paid, not DO the paying..

Hence the perfectly appropos thread title...

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 03:39:51 PM »

Besides, if you're going to be a whore, you're supposed to GET paid, not DO the paying..

Hence the perfectly appropos thread title...

Actually, it's a golf thing -- everything is just the opposite of what's normal. Like negative numbers being a good thing and dumb blonds being a bad thing...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:41:34 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »
This started as a labor of love. GW lost me when they turned it into a business transaction for the simple reason that I didn't sign up for a business transaction.  So dropping out was a very simple decision for me.  It's not the money.  Well, clearly it is for the publications, but it's not for me.  Heck, I drop more than that on caddies every week.  It's just not what I signed up for. 

Reminds me of the great scene in "Midnight Cowboy" where Jon Voigt and Sylvia Miles hook up on the streets of Manhattan, each thinking that they are the hooker and he/she is the hookee, until they try to finish the business transaction.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 03:47:15 PM »
I do find it interesting the seemingly contradictory issues going on here:

From the magazines perspective, they would want to get as many ratings as possible to have both a statistically reliable rating that would only get more accurate with an increased number of submissions. Additionally, if they now charge raters, they not only get money from that, but also benefit from an unpaid work force and extra money from publishing sought after course lists.

Meanwhile, the courses obviously care about these ratings or they wouldn't be willing to accommodate the raters on a frequent basis.  And in some cases, maybe they make the list and it generates a windfall of publicity and new memberships.  However, at least they are willing to "pay" for it in the form of comp'd rounds.

But in all this, if a rater travels a lot and plays tons of courses to get more submissions, which both the magazines and courses actually want, then somehow the rater is now is the bad guy aka the access whore??

Its this demonization of raters, who are actually providing the service that the magazines wouldn't get otherwise....is the part I don't get. And given they have to use their own money to travel, and now possibly pay to be rater, why is it such a stretch for them to get something out of it in the form of playing  an increased variety of courses.

Furthermore, what's the alternative to any of this?  Paid raters?  Then the magazines would surely cry and throw a fit.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 04:15:06 PM »
Seems to me asking raters to pay devaluing the worth of their rating.

Who is offering the service to who? If people are willing to pay to be raters is that because they are willing to pay to be able to comment on the quality of the courses they play or because of the ability to access and play courses at a cheaper or free rate? If it is the latter then what worth the rating?

DMoriarty

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »
Seems to me asking raters to pay devaluing the worth of their rating.

Who is offering the service to who? If people are willing to pay to be raters is that because they are willing to pay to be able to comment on the quality of the courses they play or because of the ability to access and play courses at a cheaper or free rate? If it is the latter then what worth the rating?

Not sure I see "what worth the rating" in either option. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back