News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Brauer

Re: USGA and ASGCA Launch Public Golf Collaborative Program
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2015, 11:09:14 AM »
Mike,

Yes, but I think we are more civil than say, the Tea Party and some liberals.

I have to get back to my non pro bono consulting work and finish up a few plans and consulting reports, too.

Safe travels.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Niall C

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2015, 11:14:09 AM »
Jeff

Sharp practice - I don't know if this term is used in the US but over here it would be someone doing something unethical like say a dentist giving his patient half a dozen fillings that they don't need so as to increase the fee. Not sure what the equivalent would be for a GCA but I assume that ASGCA has ethical standards that their members must comply to, would that be right ?

Niall

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 11:36:55 AM »
Niall,

No, not a common US term.  Thanks for the definition.

We have a few ethical standards. I can't say much, because I haven't read them in a long time.  They generally cover always working in the clients best interests.  However, many things can be considered conflicts of interest, that have been done by members and others - Design-Build, taking any money from suppliers (i.e., Palmer's deal with Toro to use his name and likeness).  Every situation is certainly unique in this profession.  We also require no one taking a job that is under contract to another architect.  We also developed some standards for court testimony, believe it or not.  They are probably on our website.

The problem with standards regarding "too much" work, is that its really an opinion, not a fact.  You could probably make a case that any old club without any work on their infrastructure over the last 20-30 years could stand a near total rebuild (See the USGA and ASGCA "Life Cycle" charts.  Most don't undergo anything nearly that drastic, due to finances. Or, their master plan shows it, but with priorities, and the B and C priorities are planned for, but done when they can be afforded.

The same may apply to those on this site that think every course ought to be restored to original intent.  A nice idea, probably the best idea in some cases, but in other cases, if its not what the members want, after discussion, its certainly not unethical to give them what they feel works best for them.  (in fact, that would be deemed the prototype of ethical standards by most)

Many outsiders presume they know better than those who go through the process, and are willing to spend other peoples money, incorrectly seeing themselves as "stakeholders".  They also presume those in charge who do something different than what they think is best are basically ill considered imbeciles, but that is not usually the case!

Again, all opinion.

Actually, those who may be subject to more of this type of things are the golf business plan consultants. In general, the demographic studies in golf are less stringent and well developed than those metrics for developers.   From time to time, a course that fails financially after opening/re-opening sues for damages.  Some consultants have inflated numbers, especially if using recent comparable data from 2005 in 2007 or beyond, when the golf biz crashed. 

Of course, the flip side is that the easiest thing for any biz consultant to recommend is "No, don't do it."  I am sure most temper any recommendation with several qualifications.  And, to be honest, financial success is due to the Owner and his actions, usually far beyond any consultants control.  And that includes the architects.

I suppose that a course could sue an architect who "sold them a bill of goods" that they really didn't need, and in hindsight, was easily foreseeable.  That is why our contracts usually contain clauses that we do no financial projections.  As a group, we don't think design is an actionable part of the golf process. I would envision it would take a real gross violation of our duties to go to court.  Obviously, the most common are safety issues, which I understand.

What we would be loathe to become a trend would be suing for "a bad design" based on general criteria, or using the "wrong grass" or some such.  Not a big issue north or south, but what if grass fails in the transition zone where there are no real good choices (other than sodding Zoysia, beyond the budget of most courses?)

The short version is, while most of us act on the "if it smells bad, it probably is bad" principle, there is always the US legal system (and fear of it) and our own reputations for doing good work that are probably ample to keep us from unethical behavior in its worst forms.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:39:05 PM by Jeff_Brauer »

Phil Young

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2015, 04:06:17 PM »
I have one major problem with this that no one has yet mentioned. As Blake quoted from the ASGCA's web page:

"The program includes a site evaluation and a summary report, but there will be no funding for implementation. Acting on the recommendations outlined in the report is the sole responsibility of the facility." Now that certainly is reasonable and expected.

My problem is what follows next: "Therefore, the summary report will be commensurate with the resources available to the facility as well as the scope of the desired outcomes."

Wait a minute... What this is saying is that the architect will only give enough advice to meet the amount of money that the club being inspected can spend! Also it limits the advice to "the desired outcomes"...

How can either of these be possible since Clubs may not be aware of important work that is needed BEFORE the course is inspected. Also, a club may have budgetary restraints which are then put into the application, yet since the inspection will only produce recommendations "commensurate with the resources available" how can the club properly allocate the true necessary funds needed for work BEFORE knowing the actual scope of work judged necessary by the inspecting architect?

The ASGCA needs to seriously examine what they are requiring of clubs and what they are committing to do for those seeking help under this program before going any further...   

If they want to do something similar to what Tilly did go back and take a good hard look because the PGA required that they provide them with one of two requests: either give specifics of holes and or features to be examined or to ask for a complete course examination. The purpose of this had nothing whatsoever to do with budgets, scope of work, resources available or "expected outcomes"... Just what could be found to help the club have a better designed and maintained golf course...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2015, 05:34:01 PM »
Phil....Phil...Phil.....

"Wait a minute... What this is saying is that the architect will only give enough advice to meet the amount of money that the club being inspected can spend! Also it limits the advice to "the desired outcomes"... "

How can either of these be possible since Clubs may not be aware of important work that is needed BEFORE the course is inspected.

Yes, I am sure that both ASGCA (in particular) and USGA would want some assurance that the clubs asking for free service are serious about following up on jointly developed recommendations.  And they must take steps to keep the one day consulting report an endless free situation.  At some point, architects must get paid. 

Their report comes from and after the inspection, so it conforms to what the consultants have learned about the project and its unique needs.  I don't see a problem with generally saying that these clubs (probably in financial distress of some kind to be using free services) can dictate a maximum feasible budget, and the consultants try to work within that.  That is what we do all the time anyway in master plans.  Really, what good is proposing a $6M blowout if the club can only afford $2M towards the most pressing of its problems?  The report can sure note B and C priorities that are less likely to be acted upon.

I wonder, if you know (and you would if anyone would!) just what percentage of Tillie's recommendations were actually put on the ground?  He leaves after a day, and the club could choose to follow or ignore the recommendations, no?  Just as in today's similar scenario.

I have no doubt that reasonable courses and consultants can work things out to the clients satisfaction. 

I also have no doubt that ASGCA HQ will probably see the need to revise some wording over time.  Things are more complicated than when the PGA sent Tillie out.  They tried to be legalistic, but aren't lawyers.  I generally agree that this type of program - for all its good intent - can be fraught with problems, as I noted with several other good of the game initiatives.  Time will work them out, I suppose.

Mike_Young

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2015, 09:46:30 PM »
Interesting take by Phil.

If you take a hard look at this entire program it is just a promotional effort by ASGCA and I can't blame them.  If the USGA offers to allow you to promote such in conjunction with them then by all means do it.  HOWEVER,  if there is a public course out there that can spend $500,000 or more on projects they certainly don't need free advice.  AND every architect out there will spend a day checking out a project and probably a few days trying to help a club in order to gain a project.  Projects such as the Canal project are obviously chosen for the hype they can bring. 

"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ian Andrew

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 08:32:38 AM »
I think what's happening at Canal Shores is very good. People volunteering their time. Members of the ASGCA working with people who choose not to be members. It kind of reminds me of Askernish where a member of the EIGCA worked with someone who wasn't a member of that or any other organization. I'm sure it was a fun experience for all of them

I'm disappointed that people always choose the potential negative side of things - particularly when the letters ASGCA are involved. I get you are mad at individuals who are members. I even understand you might be mad at the organization for trying to create competitive advantages for their memberships, but why else do you think the organization was originally formed by Jones and others originally.

What I think gets missed is Drew Rogers - a fine GCA - is happy to support Dave at Canal Shores. If you've met or worked with Drew you would realize he makes many choices like this for all the right reasons. At least support him if you can't bring yourself to support others

I was thrilled to see Tom Doak take on a project in Detroit a few years back that was clearly for the greater good of golf. These things are fantastic. I think as a peer group, we should support the noble causes ... and work well done by whoever they are regardless of affiliations. There is a greater good that matters to golf. I'm hopeful most of this program accomplished that goal.

I can't guarantee everyone in the ASGCA will view this program like Drew, but I can honestly say that most will.

And if you think my stance is self interested - I will not be part of the program - before you jump to strange conclusions, it because of where I live. I'm also quite sure I'll wish I didn't wade in since all ASGCA threads end up the same.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 08:37:10 AM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 08:48:29 AM »
Ian,

Thanks for weighing in.  I think the thing I am really arguing against is the presumption of bad intentions that many here seem to associate with ASGCA members, right off the bat, with no facts, etc.  Its very frustrating.

Even if you think the program is just nothing more than a lead generator for ASGCA members, lets face facts, most of our members are still struggling after the meltdown.  Its not like these projects will be going to Dye (who did design the Purdue and a few other courses for $1) or Nicklaus.

I also applaud those who do things for the greater good of the game, regardless of where it comes from, and its a reason I am an ASGCA guy, as I try to give back in small ways to a great profession (I am nearer the end than the beginning, and despite troubles along the way, its been a great ride)

And if you think the USGA shouldn't be involved, well, I don't know what to think.  They have been providing below market/subsidized agronomic visits forever, competing with the private sector (although possibly creating the niche market as well) just as NGF does business feasibility studies at lower costs that most private consultants think its worth, or what it costs to provide.  Once formed, these are the kinds of good of the game projects that organizations try to do......some last, some don't.

While I understand the conflicts of interest, the desire and ease of critiquing/mudslinging at official organizations on the internet, as well as the difficulty in sustaining the program, etc., I just don't see the dark side being quite as dark as some here.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2015, 12:54:09 PM »

Ahh, the snarky time of year. How refreshing to hear positive comments aimed at helping golf, golf courses and golfers.

Being an ASGCA member is not about "...trying on a plaid jacket..." or "....drawing plans..."  If that is the impression one gets then it is obvious they have not taken the time to understand the depth of the organization.

To me, there is an ironic part when boldly or even quietly bashing ASGCA. Of note — regarding a few who are not members and who I have had discussions about becoming members because I think it would be a good for all, I recall an interesting common denominator: "I am not sure what it would do for me..."

What a sad approach. (Talk about "looking out for a particular group or firm...")

One of the greatest benefits of being an ASGCA member is what we learn from each other, and what we share. Collaborations have never been more robust, and as anyone can deduct, they often involve members and non-members.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 12:56:19 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mike_Young

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2015, 02:45:01 PM »
Ian, Jeff, Forrest,

I try not to have a problem with any ASGCA member but sometimes we all end up in defensive positions.  Ian, I definitely have no problem with Drew or the other ASGCA member helping with Canal shores.  I commend the ASGCA Foundation for it's  funding of projects.  There may be collaboration but in the magazine "By Design" , The ASGCA magazine, there is a nice article describing the process but it clearly states ASGCA members and interestingly it never mentions Dave Zinkland as being involved.   

Anyway, ASGCA should be commended for any efforts toward such a goal but USGA has no business collaborating.  If ASGCA were an organization such as PGA or GCSAA it would be fine but not when it is a closed shop.   Ian sort of sums it up best in his post when he says"I even understand you might be mad at the organization for trying to create competitive advantages for their memberships, but why else do you think the organization was originally formed by Jones and others originally."    Speaking for myself, he is wrong.  I'm not mad at ASGCA for attempting such.  I'm mad at USGA for joining in.  It is not their place to support one segment and not the other.

"
Merry Christmas all
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 02:59:02 PM by Mike_Young »

DMoriarty

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2015, 06:34:40 PM »
Jeff keeps referring to this is pro bono work, but unless  I am misunderstanding, it doesn't sound like it to me.  Isn't the program just on offer for a free consultation, only with the heavy-handed expectation that the recommended work will be performed by the consulting architect? When a lawyer offers a free first-consultation, that isn't pro bono work, it is an attempt to drum up business.  This sounds like what is ongoing here . . .

"It is the expectation of the USGA and the ASGCA that the facility will act on some or all of the recommendations provided by the ASGCA member architect and USGA agronomist."
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
It's striking how clear and straightforward most things are in the absence of rhetoric or a desire to score one off. Off David's post, but with my conclusions:

The ASGCA, a trade association, would like to promote itself and drum up business for its members. (Totally legitimate.)
In a newly devised initiative,  ASGCA architects are offering free consultations in the hopes of creating future employment/income for themselves. (Totally legitimate.)
To bolster its own profile and in support of this initiative, the ASGCA is partnering with/attempting to leverage the USGA brand as a kind of better business bureau that helps assure would-be clients of the legitimacy of this undertaking and the quality of its membership. (Totally legitimate).
In the same way, the USGA finds an opportunity (in this partnering with the ASGCA) to raise/bolster the "for the good of the game" aspect of its mandate/brand, and to foster relationships with more members/member clubs. (From the USGA's perspective, totally legitimate -- as there is only one such trade association which, in the absence of a formal governing body for golf architects, serves to represent its members in such partnering opportunities; from the perspective of non-ASGCA members, it is not a legitimate or appropriate role for the USGA to play, as it can't help but seem to be picking favourites or making a value judgment in regards to quality gca.)
So, that's the only question it seems to me: should the USGA be partnering with organizations/associations on such a  seemingly "exclusive basis"?
Peter

« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:27:21 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2015, 01:22:30 AM »
Can anyone post the deliverables promised by this one day consultation? 
In keeping with the holiday spirit, I will not go negative but will add this. I have made dozens of non-paid day visits in the company of society architects and non members alike. Getting an architect to come take a look at your golf course does not require a fee in many cases.
Architects are constantly making trips and developing concepts gratis in response to RFPs and the like.
I dare say there isn't a club in Amaerica that couldn't get a design professional to make a one day visit as all of us in this business are constantly in search of leads and most of us would much rather take a walk around the course and have some face time than talk on the phone or hammer on a key board.  i just don't see much new here other than the PR angle.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2015, 08:38:32 AM »
Don,

I was going to post the same thing!  I recall a contractor who had a design build project years ago.  He called a dozen architects pretending (somewhat) to be a developer and asked all for free routing plans to gauge their ideas.  Cherry picked the free plans and built his course without an architect.

Dave,

While I agree that part of the announcement is a bit awkward, and I can only speak for myself, I imagine that many courses will only require a one day visit, and will do a lot of the work themselves to boot.

I had three one day visits this year, all for a total of under $5K in fees each.  I get in the night before, and spend a full day.  I print out a few copies of a Google or better aerial.  We go around the course, marking up the plan for forward tees, path extensions, bunker reductions/eliminations, etc.  If they want my advice on how to build that path, I tell them what I know.  Same with any subject.

If they don't require me to go back, fire up CAD and write a report, and are happy with scribbles on that plan, we spend the last hour cleaning up the plan, and then going to FedEx Kinko's or similar to get a large scale color copy, and we're done.

In essence, its about the same design process as I would do to start a long term master plan, just without the formality.  It is probably the best value in the biz.  Again, I don't know how other architects do it, but I suspect 9 of 10, ASGCA and not, would do the same. The practical problem is that if you act standoffish and unwilling to give valuable info, they aren't likely to retain you for any further paying work anyway......in my estimation and experience, there will probably be less than 1 in 3 that ever retain the architect for major projects.  If they could afford those, they wouldn't be seeking free advice!  And there is nothing in that passage that implies a contract to do so, either. 

It just suggests the standard practice all architects would like to see - if an architect does a low cost plan or any master plan, that person ought to be the one who follows through long term.  Sure, sometimes relationships go sour, but the worst is if the club bids the master plan, then bids the construction documents to maybe find someone a bit cheaper and so on.  Not great clients if all they are doing is bloodsucking all the free advice that they can.......from an architects perspective, of course!

For that matter, the USGA Green Section Service does the same sort of advice on agronomy in a day, for similar fees, and goes back and writes the report.  My guess is that for their free one day visits, the club had better listen closely and take their own notes, but otherwise, their agronomists provide lots of information in one day.  I do know that private consultants sometimes gripe they shouldn't be a national body and a paid consulting service, similar to NGF providing below market business plans for golf courses......

And I figure that some architects in the 1930's were teed off at the PGA for using Tillie only for their "good of the game" course visit tours. Why use only Tillie when there were dozens of near broke, qualified golf course architects?

I think the answer lies in practicality in both current and historic cases.  While the USGA could spend even more resources on this "free program" by developing their own list of architects, but why would they do that when ASGCA is available with members nationwide to provide that coordination for them?  Certainly not because some non ASGCA member complains!  As Forrest notes, most who don't join their professional organizations are rightly or wrongly perceived as not wanting to give back to the game.  And, all the associations in golf do pledge to support each other in these projects that they deem are good for the game. 

I see nothing wrong with that.  Mike's posting here is the wrong direction for him to take.   If he really feels strongly about the USGA position, and is a USGA Associate member, he should contact them.  If he doesn't support even the USGA, maybe he doesn't have a case.......
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:03:07 AM by Jeff_Brauer »

Don Mahaffey

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »
Jeff,
How is that saying the same thing? You are always posting things like that about what you've heard, usually making some segment look bad while spreading your pro ASGCA agenda..
What I said was any club or course can get a design pro to visit and start the evaluation process without this program.    The idea that an Architect can show up and in one day on site provide a club with the proper scope and budget is a bit demeaning to the process isn't it? I mean you guys are good but if it only takes a day to do all that, is that really the message you want to spread?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 09:19:43 AM by Don Mahaffey »

Mike_Young

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2015, 09:46:40 AM »
Don,

I was going to post the same thing!  I recall a contractor who had a design build project years ago.  He called a dozen architects pretending (somewhat) to be a developer and asked all for free routing plans to gauge their ideas.  Cherry picked the free plans and built his course without an architect.

Dave,

While I agree that part of the announcement is a bit awkward, and I can only speak for myself, I imagine that many courses will only require a one day visit, and will do a lot of the work themselves to boot.

I had three one day visits this year, all for a total of under $5K in fees each.  I get in the night before, and spend a full day.  I print out a few copies of a Google or better aerial.  We go around the course, marking up the plan for forward tees, path extensions, bunker reductions/eliminations, etc.  If they want my advice on how to build that path, I tell them what I know.  Same with any subject.

If they don't require me to go back, fire up CAD and write a report, and are happy with scribbles on that plan, we spend the last hour cleaning up the plan, and then going to FedEx Kinko's or similar to get a large scale color copy, and we're done.

In essence, its about the same design process as I would do to start a long term master plan, just without the formality.  It is probably the best value in the biz.  Again, I don't know how other architects do it, but I suspect 9 of 10, ASGCA and not, would do the same. The practical problem is that if you act standoffish and unwilling to give valuable info, they aren't likely to retain you for any further paying work anyway......in my estimation and experience, there will probably be less than 1 in 3 that ever retain the architect for major projects.  If they could afford those, they wouldn't be seeking free advice!  And there is nothing in that passage that implies a contract to do so, either. 

It just suggests the standard practice all architects would like to see - if an architect does a low cost plan or any master plan, that person ought to be the one who follows through long term.  Sure, sometimes relationships go sour, but the worst is if the club bids the master plan, then bids the construction documents to maybe find someone a bit cheaper and so on.  Not great clients if all they are doing is bloodsucking all the free advice that they can.......from an architects perspective, of course!

For that matter, the USGA Green Section Service does the same sort of advice on agronomy in a day, for similar fees, and goes back and writes the report.  My guess is that for their free one day visits, the club had better listen closely and take their own notes, but otherwise, their agronomists provide lots of information in one day.  I do know that private consultants sometimes gripe they shouldn't be a national body and a paid consulting service, similar to NGF providing below market business plans for golf courses......

And I figure that some architects in the 1930's were teed off at the PGA for using Tillie only for their "good of the game" course visit tours. Why use only Tillie when there were dozens of near broke, qualified golf course architects?

I think the answer lies in practicality in both current and historic cases.  While the USGA could spend even more resources on this "free program" by developing their own list of architects, but why would they do that when ASGCA is available with members nationwide to provide that coordination for them?  Certainly not because some non ASGCA member complains!  As Forrest notes, most who don't join their professional organizations are rightly or wrongly perceived as not wanting to give back to the game.  And, all the associations in golf do pledge to support each other in these projects that they deem are good for the game. 

I see nothing wrong with that.  Mike's posting here is the wrong direction for him to take.   If he really feels strongly about the USGA position, and is a USGA Associate member, he should contact them.  If he doesn't support even the USGA, maybe he doesn't have a case.......

Jeff,
Myself and others have contacted the USGA.  I do feel the collaboration is a USGA problem.  And I agree with most everything you say above except for the quote from Forrest saying if you don't join your professional organization you don't care to give back to the game.  There is no professional organization for golf architects.

I have no problem sharing my response to the USGA with you below:

Dear USGAXXXXXXXX:

I was stunned to see news of the  USGA/ASGCA collaboration  today.  I, XXXXXXX and other architects who are not members of the ASGCA are very troubled by the collaboration and the preferential treatment it gives to members of the ASGCA. At a time when almost all golf architects are struggling to make a living, this unfairly tilts the playing field against non-members.   

There are many highly qualified golf architects who are not members of the ASGCA.  The USGA should not be in the business or preferring ‘insiders’ to ‘outsiders”. The USGA Green Section has always taken pains not to specify vendors. This collaboration changes that. Can you imagine if USGA was to put out a press release announcing a USGA/Toro collaboration?  Would Rainbird or Jacobsen not be justified in objecting? 

I have been designing golf courses for over 25 years  www.mydgolf.com  and have over 40, 18 hole courses in play today.  How should I feel if one of my projects were to request such help from the USGA and then be told they that I am barred from doing the work in favor of an ASGCA member? There is no place for the USGA in such scenarios. It is hard enough competing against the ASGCA when it promotes it members (sometimes subtly, sometimes not so subtly) as being the only ‘qualified architects’.  To have to now also compete against the prestige of the USGA is simply unfair to non-members. 

The ASGCA consists of approximately 185 members.  Many of its members worked for other members as associates and gained membership while under their personal sponsorship.  A significant number of ASGCA members cannot claim design credit for designing a golf course ( name not on a scorecard). There are, however, a large number of highly qualified architects who have designed a large number of highly respected courses who are not members.     

For example, XXXXXXXXX, due to a personal feud with RTJ, was never a member, XXXXXX protégés, including XXXXXX and others,  never became members.  XXXXXXXXXX, notwistanding his many wonderful designs, is not a member.  XXXXXXX, who designed several excellent courses,was declined membership.  One of the most prominent modern architects, XXXXXXX, is not a member.  XXXXXXXX, XXXXXXXX and others who have focused on renovation or restoration work at many of Golden Age courses are not members. I could go on. Many of the best golf courses in the USA were designed and built by non-ASGCA members. In short, the connection between good golf architecture and membership in the ASGCA is hard to see.

So I must object when the “society” enters into an alliance with the USGA with the stated goal of promoting work for ASGCA members to the exclusion of non-members.

Should we non-members now stop promoting the USGA Green Section and other USGA services to our clients? If accepting those services means we are barred from working on our own courses, can it be a surprise that we would be upset? Is it the place of the USGA to side with only a segment of our industry? Would the USGA be troubled if non-ASGCA architects asked the courses for which they work to stop USGA green section visits and to go the private route? Should clubs be put in the position of picking sides in this?  None of us want to put clubs in that unhappy place.

As you know, the ASGCA is not a sanctioning body like a state bar association or a medical licensing board. The ASGCA is more like a trade organization with what are, ultimately, subjective membership criteria. (There are no qualifying exams. Anyone can be either admitted or blackballed without explanation.) The society’s goals from its inception were to limit competition.To that point, let me reference the USGA’s Herbert Warren Wind Book Award winner for 2015. James Hanson’s book, “A Difficult Par”, is a biography of Robert Trent Jones.  The book describes the formation of the ASGCA.  Beginning on page 155there is an account of Robert Trent Jones’ goals for the ASGCA.  RTJ was clear. The ASGCA was founded to limit competition and fix prices in the golf architecture business. It is an association designed from the outset to erect barriers to entry and trade restrictions. The relevant passage from the RTJ bio is quoted below:.

“In 1937 Alfred Tull ,a partner of Devereux Emmet and took over the Emmett practice upon his death in 1934, wrote to Jones stating “ it is about time golf course architects got together to protect their interests”-  such a society should “be formed by a few active golf course architects in the East and then extended to take in all qualified applicants”   Tull wanted three basic objectives in his proposed society:

1-   “ a minimum scale of fees”, a maximum amount of service we shall render gratis”
2- a code of ethics that protected “ protected one another from undue competition once we have been retained by a client”
3-  “group advertising of the society”

Tull sent the letter to six other East Coast architects but interestingly did not send it to Maxwell, Ross or Tillinghast.  Of the seven he had sent it to only 3 would become founding members 10 years later.  Tull , himself was not a charter member and was not admitted until 1963.

Jones stated that the ASGCA purpose was “ to protect and upgrade the profession and to advance concepts and techniques of design consistent with the spirit of the game by collective thought.”  But even Paul Fuller, the executive director for years, admitted there was more behind the establishment than this.  Fuller said “ the “names “ in the business wanted to establish higher fees, keep newcomers out of the business and retain the majority of the work in their hands.”

Jones was the youngest charter member at 40 years old by 11 years.  As the first secretary-treasurer he was instrumental in defining a schedule of fees that would be used by ASGCA members :
minimum fee for a day- $50 and expenses
minimum fee for 9-hole preliminary plan- $350 and expenses
minimum fee for 18-hole preliminary plan- $700 and expenses
minimum fee for new course plans- 5%
minimum fee for  new course supervision- 5%
minimum fee for complete plan nine holes- $2000
minimum fee for complete plan 18 holes- $4000

Jones became president in 1950 and was considered the “main man within the society”  “

Thanks for your attention and all the best,
Mike Young

jeffwarne

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2015, 09:59:59 AM »
Mike,
Tore and Titleist aren't USGA cosponsors ;D ;D ?
who knew?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2015, 10:03:42 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for sharing.  I hope it helps.  My own view in reading the letter is that it would have been more effective within the USGA if you stopped halfway through.....I understand your case, but don't think bringing up past history helps change any current minds......

As stated, I don't think the USGA minds working with other associations, and understands completely what ASGCA is and is not.  Like I said, they face a few complaints from private consulting agronomists for providing their own service in competition.

The reality is, yes, we are all schlepping business, and that does back to Ross, etc. Some here (and many professionals in the old days) would like it to seem they are staying above the fray.  Not mine to say, but I think both you and I would be time better spent focusing on what and who we can sell to, not trying to force others to stop selling their services, even under the guise of "first visit free."  As Don says, it happens, and in most cases, the USGA/ASGCA program doesn't really change a thing. 

Besides, it is just as possible that I lose a consulting gig to some other ASGCA member under this program as you losing one of your courses!  If that happened to me, I would say I just didn't form that close a relationship with the client, not that someone else stole my project......

Mike_Young

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2015, 10:07:21 AM »
Jeff,
We just don't see it the same.  That's ok.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,
Mike

DMoriarty

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »
Jeff, nothing in your post address to me really addresses my point.  This is not a pro bono program.  It is not charity for the betterment of the game.  It is an attempt to drum up paying customers.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2015, 11:54:38 AM »
David,

Well, I think I did.  Basically, I told you many of those visits will be the only advice the architect ever gives some cash strapped golf courses. 

However, you can consider it both pro bono and marketing if you wish. The definition of pro bono is "done or undertaken for the public good without any payment or compensation."  The difference is, when a lawyer does true pro bono work, usually the client is already charged and in trouble, no? 

But, with no guarantees of any future employment by the gca. after that first visit, I think it fits the definition.  No doubt there is a limit to what any business is going to give away for free IF there is a large project.  As stated, there really is no guaranteed or contract to do a big project. 

I can see where some folks might have a problem with that phrase.  I am sure it will get changed, someday.  That said, I don't think ASGCA members deserve the cynical treatment shown here. 

Hope you have a good holiday season!

Mike,

If you really want to mess with us, tell all your clients that they should bring in this program, you would still be retained, like Mr. Zinkland, and some ASGCA member of your choosing could be sapped into spending a day......I think that would actually be called a "Zinkie" at some point.  Too catchy not to use it somehow.....
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 12:06:33 PM by Jeff_Brauer »

DMoriarty

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2015, 12:10:06 PM »
I don't think you understand what pro bono means. If the ASCGA is consulting with the hope/expectation that it might lead to an eventual paycheck from even a few of the clients, then this isn't a pro bono program. It doesn't matter that there are no guarantees.  Such is the nature of this type of loss leader marketing.

ADDED:  Jeff I see you significantly changed your post above from what it originally said.  Nonetheless, I still don't think you understand the nature of pro bono work generally, and you definitely don't understand it in the legal profession.  Pro Bono work is not about drumming up business.  It is not about providing a little consulting with the expectation that if the job grows, there will be compensation. It is not about getting one foot in the door with potentially paying customers.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:19:14 PM by DMoriarty »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2015, 12:16:15 PM »
I have no horse in this race....

But based on what I've seen of the posts on this thread and other threads, it seems to me:

1)  The ASGCA is not an "officially sanctioned" body with a standard set of acceptance criteria and otherwise for admittance. This is different than other trade organizations that are standardized and open to all who qualify and not just "clubs" where admittance is based on "we like you or we don't" kind of vote..

2)  The USGA is in fact an officially sanctioned body, I don't think anyone disputes this. Arguably, they are the most potent organization in US golf.

The message I take from this policy is that the USGA is trying to confer/infer/bestow upon the ASGCA that they are indeed a defacto governing body, which as stated before seems counter to my understanding of what they are.

Its this implication that is questionable/squirrely looking to me and probably doesn't sit well with other proven GCAs who are now unjustifiably on the outside looking in....

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2015, 01:19:29 PM »
I don't think you understand what pro bono means. If the ASCGA is consulting with the hope/expectation that it might lead to an eventual paycheck from even a few of the clients, then this isn't a pro bono program. It doesn't matter that there are no guarantees.  Such is the nature of this type of loss leader marketing.

David, of course, I know exactly what pro-bono means.   I quoted the dictionary definition. 

And, it will not be the "ASGCA" consulting with anyone, per se, any more than the American Bar Association would consult as a group.  They will find members willing to spend one day advising a course. 

You can quibble that the intent if you want......but you and I parsing words against each other has never led to much good in the past!

Kalen,

You got to stop letting Mike in your head.  There is no such thing as an official sanctioning body for golf course architects, and ASGCA never represents itself as that, no matter what Mike says.  The closest thing would be states that require landscape architecture licenses to practice golf course architecture in that state.  I have no idea why anyone would think there should be a sanctioning body.

Like you, I agree the USGA is a sanctioning body.....looking back, would we consider them self appointing, back in easier days?  Would that even be allowed today, I wonder?

Anyway, to your second point, I believe USGA and ASGCA understand what each other are.  I doubt USGA is trying to confer anything on ASGCA that public opinion, the industry, or whatever already conveys on it.

BTW, the ASGCA policies and procedures are the exact same for everyone who applies.  If you don't happen to meet the criteria we have established for membership, you usually don't get in, but the process is exactly the same for everyone.  I will grant that there are some human value judgements in the process, which you can't avoid, but which we have tried to overcome by using a process, to correct some of those problems decades ago.... It is very hard for a few members to blackball someone under the current process.......   

You are pretty far off base, basing your post on just a few posts here.  That said, I know I won't change anyone's mind........so have at it if that is what you care to do.  Cheers!

DMoriarty

« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2015, 01:47:19 PM »
You quoted the dictionary definition but you clearly don't understand what it means in application.  And it is not parsing words.  The ASCGA is trying to garner clients by giving away some introductory services. They say as much in the literature.  To call it a "pro bono" program is deceptive, at best.   

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back