News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: NEW - Boston Golf Club (Gil Hanse - Hingham, MA) - A Photo Tour
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 05:12:33 PM »
Jon,

If I didn't respect you I couldn't tell you the truth. Have you considered why the colors in your pictures don't look real?  Do you really believe the goat collar is that blue?

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 05:28:11 PM »
[yawns]
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »
Jon,

If I didn't respect you I couldn't tell you the truth. Have you considered why the colors in your pictures don't look real?  Do you really believe the goat collar is that blue?

;D ;D ;D

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »
I'm a great fan of Jon's descriptions and images but Jakab's not the only one to find his colour manipulation somewhat offputting. I do appreciate the effort though. I also find it strange to never see any humans in the pictures; do you have the Secret Service clear the course or just photoshop the bodies out! :D
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 06:29:39 PM »
I also find it strange to never see any humans in the pictures; do you have the Secret Service clear the course or just photoshop the bodies out! :D

I do my level best to avoid humanity as well. Of late, I've determined that vertical bodies add perspective, while inert, horizontal ones raise questions (and police sirens.) I understand Juan's reticence to include humanity in his images.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 06:37:08 PM »
Jon C,

A terrific tour along with some great commentary.  I initially had this confused with TPC Boston where they play every year for the FedEx Cup playoff, but this course looks even better.  The course looks an absolute blast to play...

Fantastic work all around!!

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2015, 06:46:41 PM »
If I'm a golf course, I wanna hook up with JCav. The Annie Lebovitz of golf shutterbugs.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

BHoover

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 07:20:33 PM »
If I'm a golf course, I wanna hook up with JCav. The Annie Lebovitz of golf shutterbugs.

He may do justice to golf courses but probably is not too friendly to belts...no way a belt can stand up against such notching.

Jon Cavalier

Re: Boston Golf Club (Gil Hanse - Hingham, MA) - A Photo Tour
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 07:33:23 PM »
Brian:

That's an awful stretch. I expected more creativity from you.

Jon
Golf Photos via

BHoover

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 07:40:17 PM »
Brian:

That's an awful stretch. I expected more creativity from you.

Jon

Unfortunately I'm not really creative. Just jealous.  8)

Jason Way

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2015, 08:55:04 AM »
It is hard to argue with John K, I would indeed prefer 1,000 words of verbal masturbation to each of Jon's photos.  But since Bernard Darwin isn't frequenting the DG anymore, we'll just have to settle for sloppy seconds.

My preferences having been established, another outstanding tour Jon.  As I reflect back on my season, BGC wins the "Exceeded Expectations by the Widest Margin Award".  Given that I had studied the threads on here about the course, and my expectations were high, and it still blew me away.  Jon's photos capture the color contrasts and range beautifully.  The course is not some pretty, dumb girl though - it has beauty, strategy, challenge, and a little bit of quirk all wrapped into one glorious package. 

Thanks for bringing back all of the fond memories of my spring trip to Boston, Jon.  Very helpful as I look out the window at the snow.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Chris DeToro

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2015, 10:25:35 AM »
Great pictures and tour once again, Jon.  I played BGC last summer and was blown away.  An exciting, bold golf course.  To my eye, I found the driving corridors narrow, but much wider in reality.  Number 5 is one of my favorite short par 4s anywhere

I haven't been to OS, but BGC is every bit the equal of many of the classics in the surrounding area

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2015, 11:28:32 AM »
A few additional thoughts here:

If BGC were the new girl next door, I could see some of the criticism of posting too many pics of the course.  You know the ol' "leave some mystery and intrigue there for people to go play it and explore for themselves" and "don't give too much away" kinda thing.

But reality is, this pretty girl has been around for over a decade, so I don't see the problem with doing a fairly comprehensive hole-by-hole review.  If anything, this level of detail will probably drive this course up on many folks itineraries for those who travel and have the ability to play it.

Its a win/win all around.

P.S. Speaking only for myself, the course looks amazing and I think any serious GCA student would likely be well served to study it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2015, 12:00:39 PM »
Please, two pictures of the flag and three of the goats. Somebody get this guy an editor.

I thought all last night about these pics and thought that perhaps they would look better on a phone than a 30" cinema screen. A reflection on modern times and generation. I suppose over-processing photos is proper in an iPhone world.

Jason Way

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
This is a little off-topic for this tour, but because John mentioned the goat pictures that he liked so much, I thought I would share this picture of Frank (Superintendent Brian Palmer's dog) ripping out buckthorn trees at Canal Shores.

If only I had a few goats.

Now back on topic, since John is inviting further discussion of the BGC flag, I will say that it is one of my favorite modern course logos.  Right up there with Friar's Head.  In fact, when we visited in June, our group liked the flag logo so much that one of the gents in our foursome tried to buy the logo rug that is in the clubhouse. 

Back to the architecture...
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Kalen Braley

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
John K.

Don't ya think this is a bit of...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
Kalen,

Not at all because I think we have a talented guy who has lost his way because of a bunch of enablers on this site that go ga ga over crap photos.  If Jon is going to travel around spending all this time and effort it would be beneficial to all of us if he got it right.  This site has morphed from an architectural discussion site to a photo site so we should treat photos like we treat golf courses.  Frank and honest discussion for the benefit of the art.

Last night I went to both Joann Dost's and Larry Lambrecht's sites because I am sympathetic to what must be a dying profession. You should see how good is good.  Considering book publishers are paying photographers in books you must wonder how anyone is going to make a living in the future.  If we don't nip crap work in the bud it will become the norm.  Is that really something that should be ignored?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:03:02 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Chris DeToro

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »
BGC has a great logo--it's the Sons of Liberty flag

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 01:13:27 PM »
I suppose this site will transition to video tours in the near future. 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 01:22:25 PM »
I suppose this site will transition to video tours in the near future.

Once at a GCA outing I saw a golfer with a GoPro attached to his cart.  Never saw the video.

Sean_A

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2015, 01:40:33 PM »
Jon

Thanks for the tour.  Its the first time I have seen extensive pix of BGC...I didn't realize how much elevation there is.  I know the pix are in the Fall, but the contrast of textures is wonderful. Anyway, BGC is now in my dream Next 25 USA  8)  One question, does the course play as narrow as it looks? 

JakaB

Give the guy a break.  You don't like Jon's style...fine...don't look.  Its not as if Jon mailed the pix to your house.  Jeez...you can be a grouch.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 01:43:57 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »
When we lose our great professional photographers because the market accepts a lower quality free in your face product I will at least know I spoke up. It certainly is no longer as simple as don't look, our senses are under attack. We need fewer better pictures.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2015, 02:06:22 PM »
I'll chime in as one of the enablers of JCav, with whom I played Old Elm and Chicago Golf Club this year.  At my invitation, by the way, he never once asked me for access to anything.  At Chicago Golf, he was told by our awesome host that even Larry Lambrecht was told that he could take pictures for his own use, but that he could not in any way publish any photos he took of the course.  At Old Elm, they were alerted of Jon's photography talents and actually asked Jon to send them all photos so that they could use them in furtherance of another project at the course and so they could use some in the clubhouse.  To each club, their own, as far as photo policies go.

Needless to say, in each instance, JCav complied.  He's a good guy, a fun guy and he has a real knack for taking golf course photographs at the proper angle to give one a better idea of scale, elevation and depth.  I will agree with my dyspeptic friend JKav (what a difference a letter makes!!!!!!!!!!!) that Jon's photos tend to be overproduced in a way that makes them overly dramatic in terms of the lighting and the fall colors, but I'm not in a position to really complain.

Bottom line, Cavalier is an asset to the site.  He's a fun guy to play and drink with.  He's not access whoring.  He's not belt-notching in the true sense of the term, as he seems to be architect driven in his decision of what courses to play as opposed to ranking driven.  He sure as hell isn't going to go all "Suzie Sensitivo" and whine about getting ribbed by Barney.  That, after all, is a rite of passage hereabouts!  Finally, regardless of whether one finds his photos to be a little grandiose, there's no question that they are a tremendous value-added for this website.  In my opinion, anyway.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:09:24 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2015, 02:17:11 PM »
Sean:
I'm glad my photos didn't put you off ever seeing BGC. It's a gem, and as I think I may have mentioned before this thread went south, it does not play nearly as tightly as it looks.

Terry:
Thanks for your kind words.

John:
Are we really going to do this every time I do a tour? I get it (and so does everyone else here) - you don't like my tours. I'm ok with that. But I can assure you that Larry Lambrecht isn't losing any sleep over my photos. And you're welcome to a refund at any time.
Golf Photos via

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »
I'll chime in as one of the enablers of JCav, with whom I played Old Elm and Chicago Golf Club this year.  At my invitation, by the way, he never once asked me for access to anything.  At Chicago Golf, he was told by our awesome host that even Larry Lambrecht was told that he could take pictures for his own use, but that he could not in any way publish any photos he took of the course.  At Old Elm, they were alerted of Jon's photography talents and actually asked Jon to send them all photos so that they could use them in furtherance of another project at the course and so they could use some in the clubhouse.  To each club, their own, as far as photo policies go.

Needless to say, in each instance, JCav complied.  He's a good guy, a fun guy and he has a real knack for taking golf course photographs at the proper angle to give one a better idea of scale, elevation and depth.  I will agree with my dyspeptic friend JKav (what a difference a letter makes!!!!!!!!!!!) that Jon's photos tend to be overproduced in a way that makes them overly dramatic in terms of the lighting and the fall colors, but I'm not in a position to really complain.

Bottom line, Cavalier is an asset to the site.  He's a fun guy to play and drink with.  He's not access whoring.  He's not belt-notching in the true sense of the term, as he seems to be architect driven in his decision of what courses to play as opposed to ranking driven.  He sure as hell isn't going to go all "Suzie Sensitivo" and whine about getting ribbed by Barney.  That, after all, is a rite of passage hereabouts!  Finally, regardless of whether one finds his photos to be a little grandiose, there's no question that they are a tremendous value-added for this website.  In my opinion, anyway.

I used to enjoy Jon's tours, but now I know I can not use them to judge anything, and further Jon does not post them so we can make judgments about the courses. If he doesn't care, then I don't either!  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back