News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_Messix

Re: Doing self directed, overseas golf travel
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 10:44:50 AM »
If you're traveling internationally, I think David Davis' post pretty well covers it all.

I would add a couple of things...

1.  Playing with a member makes things A LOT easier.  Even as a PGA member there are a few courses that can be a bit tricky in terms of availability of access.  Tom was extremely helpful at Sunningdale for me.  This is not only in terms of cost but also in terms of time of play and the availability of tees.  Most courses will not allow you to play the Medal Tees as a "visitor" and tend to allow play within certain time windows. 

2.  Be ready to drive a stick shift.  It's difficult in most countries outside of North America to get an automatic transmission car and those that are available tend to be uber expensive.  Keep in mind also that you'll be shifting with your left hand in the UK/AUS/NZ. 

Matt Dawson

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 11:58:41 AM »
Adam

You make a very good point about choice of tees. If I am ever at my home course midweek, when I see the yellow tees moved as far forward as they will go, I always feel sorry for visitors & societies who have paid good money to play the course "properly" and don't get the opportunity. As for competition (white) tees, forget it.

On a personal note, I found Scotland to be by far the worst for this practice. North Berwick as an experience was quite memorable. A gentle enquiry as to whether we could play the back tees resulted in the starter staring about 5ft above my head and announcing "Gentlemen, you will play from the tees of the day or not at all!"

I much prefer the US approach of "you've paid for it, so take your choice".

Stick shift - I see this a lot as advice for US visitors. Is it really a big issue? Roughly what percentage of US drivers have, say, never driven a manual car? Do you kangaroo hop along like Richard Gere in Pretty Woman?

David_Tepper

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 12:37:50 PM »
"Roughly what percentage of US drivers have, say, never driven a manual car?"

Matt D. -

Data shows that roughly 10% of the cars made in the U.S. have manual transmissions. My guess is well over 50% of the people in the U.S. have never driven a manual car. For people under the age of 40, the percentage is likely much higher.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/09/11/manual-transmissions-getting-rarer-in-us/

DT
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:42:11 PM by David_Tepper »

Jason Topp

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 12:56:31 PM »
I made it mandatory that my kids learn to drive a stick.  Any other kind of driving is not real driving in my book.  You also save quite a bit of money on foreign car rentals.

I did get surprised by insurance on my last visit to Mexico.  I have never had an issue in the past.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »
In the US a manual is an anti-theft device:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/do-you-drive-stick-fans-of-manual-transmission-cant-let-go-1447120357

It used to be manuals were the lower-cost option but not any more. Manuals are becoming like physical books: prized for the experience over (purported) convenience.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Matt Dawson

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »
David

Wow. Seriously wow.

That article you linked to is quite interesting...especially the quote "Most advanced transmissions shift better than I would do," he says. "It's a natural progression. The Luddites out there are decrying the loss of manuals, but I'm not shedding a tear"

Can GCA members see any parallels between classic golf architecture/equipment and classic cars? Stick shift is the new persimmon?
Slightly OT I know, but forgive me

http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net

Jason Topp

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2015, 01:21:54 PM »
In the US a manual is an anti-theft device:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/do-you-drive-stick-fans-of-manual-transmission-cant-let-go-1447120357

It used to be manuals were the lower-cost option but not any more. Manuals are becoming like physical books: prized for the experience over (purported) convenience.

And how.  When I bought my current car, I had one option in Minnesota for the model that I wanted.  I hope this thing lasts awhile.

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 01:30:09 PM »
Manuals in the US completely died when the Big 3 went heavily into packages.  In that system, to order a manual was more expensive (purposely to reduce options which is cheaper for car companies) and less options offered...bit of a no brainer to go auto.  When I was a kid only one other person I knew my age drove a manual. I drove a Ford Econoline for a spell...3 on the tree  :D ...completely useless in snow...but a ton of fun.  I had autos for a few years then bought the cheapest Chevy Truck on the market (pick ups hadn't gone heavily into packages yet)...the rear bumper wasn't included, but the floor shifter was  8)   Been driving manuals ever since.  Some folks I know have gone American and more will as the gas mileage becomes ever more competitve between manual and auto and the traffic continues to pile up  :'( 

Manuals these days in the US are for the new muscle cars etc...not many folks into it.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:44:08 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 02:07:27 PM »
I'm a big fan of manuals for teenagers for the reason mentioned in the article: you have to engage the machine with both hands.

The shocker for me was a couple years ago shopping for a truck. You have no choices these days when it comes to full size pickups. What the hell?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2015, 02:14:42 PM »
I'm a big fan of manuals for teenagers for the reason mentioned in the article: you have to engage the machine with both hands.

The shocker for me was a couple years ago shopping for a truck. You have no choices these days when it comes to full size pickups. What the hell?

Get a Jag...they offer a truly insanely stupid number of options.  Its no wonder things go wrong when its impossible (literally impossible) to test for the all the electrical possibilities. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

David_Tepper

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »
Getting this thread back on topic, looking for opportunities to play in the many open competitions that most golf clubs in Scotland host over the course of a year is a good way to both play a course at a reduced green fee and meet the locals. Many clubs stage both a Medal and Stableford competition during the year. My guess is many of the clubs elsewhere in GB&I do the same.

In northern Scotland, clubs that typically charge a 40-50 pound visitor green fee only charge a 10-20 pound entry fee to play in their open events. 

Tim Gallant

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »

On a personal note, I found Scotland to be by far the worst for this practice. North Berwick as an experience was quite memorable. A gentle enquiry as to whether we could play the back tees resulted in the starter staring about 5ft above my head and announcing "Gentlemen, you will play from the tees of the day or not at all!"

I can literally hear Sam the starter saying that in my mind. I have enquired about this as well for my own guests and was told the same thing (although I still believe Sam is the best starter in Scotland). Apparently this is under review, and wouldn't be surprised if next year you could tee it up from the medal tees with a sufficient handicap.

In terms of travel tips, I have used AirBnB for the last couple of golf trips and find it has great value. I used AirBnB for golf at RCD, and also when I was based in Surrey. Both times I opted for the 'entire flat/house' option so essentially renting the house for the day/week.

I am planning my next solo trip to California in January, and I love the challenge of trying to make everything work. Like a few others have said, I generally start planning the golf first, and work everything around this. However, I have found this much more difficult to do for a trip to the States vs. the UK, because of the guest / visitor play policy. Having contingencies is always a good plan (an option 2 within the area), as well as a few free days that can act as reschedule days or non-golf dates.

Also, renting a car when the pick-up and drop-off points are different can add serious cash to the bill. As an example, renting a car in LA, flying to SF, and renting in SF is roughly £400. Picking up at LAX, using for the week and dropping off at SFO a week later is £800...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 03:23:03 PM »
"Roughly what percentage of US drivers have, say, never driven a manual car?"
Matt D. -
Data shows that roughly 10% of the cars made in the U.S. have manual transmissions. My guess is well over 50% of the people in the U.S. have never driven a manual car. For people under the age of 40, the percentage is likely much higher.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/09/11/manual-transmissions-getting-rarer-in-us/
DT

Ah, the days before automatics? Fun times!

The pre-synchromesh gearbox days when double-de-clutching on gear changes was required. When (polite) hand signals were needed. When certain continental cars had the throttle as the middle peddle rather than the one on the right hand side? When you could/had to maintain the vehicle yourself (rather than have a technician plug it into a laptop)? When there were carburettors. When (in the days before electric windows) you drove a vehicle with the steering wheel on the 'wrong side' for the first few times and your subconscious wanted to change gear with the window winder!

Such is progress.

Bit like hickory vrs steel vrs graphite/titanium or horse pulled scoops vrs steam shuvels vrs bulldozers or tripods and topo-maps vrs sat-maps.

Atb

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:28:34 PM by Thomas Dai »

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »
This is a terrific thread.  Here are a couple of minor car rental travel points:
When renting a car, some of the big companies in the UK ask if they may charge you in dollars American.  Not a good idea to do this.  The credit cards provide a better exchange rate.  Also note that most of the cars take diesel fuel.  Not a good idea to forget this at the pump!  A friend learned this one the hard way, as the car conked out about a mile away from the gas station. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2015, 10:12:59 PM »
On the issue of Airbnb, I used them for 6 of my stops around Ireland and Scotland, and booking.com for the rest.   I had very good luck with the Airbnb's.   I will definitely use them again.   The woman I stayed with in Dublin was a serious world traveler, having built and sailed a yacht with her ex- who was a naval architect who designed and built their own vessel.  Plenty of cool stories and very helpful on local insights on how to get around and where to go.  I actually have new friends in Ireland in Cobh near Cork, having stayed with a family in their home, and having been so welcome as to be invited to join in on an extended family dinner, and personally given a tour of all the lovely places in Cobh by the Mrs. of the house.  The husband was a supervisor of Rugby Umpires, and being in the midst of World Cup and on an Irish win streak, gave me interesting observations on the matches.  The craik lasted until 2am with plenty of in-law needling over Irish sports and politics.  We are all now friends on Facebook.  I stayed at a traditional totally modern and immaculate BnB in Killarney run by a very sharp Gardei (police officer) and his wife.  As most know, I was a police officer and we had great conversations comparing working conditions and duties).  And, an agri-tourism working dairy farm in Dingle, bringing back memories of my wife's family dairy farm and my learning curve marrying into that whole scene.  So, as was said above, that is part of letting the serendipity happen...  ;D 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 10:20:15 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2015, 10:30:30 PM »

Get a Jag...they offer a truly insanely stupid number of options.  Its no wonder things go wrong when its impossible (literally impossible) to test for the all the electrical possibilities. 
Even better, get a Tesla.  No need for a transmission.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2015, 02:21:17 AM »
On the issue of Airbnb, I used them for 6 of my stops around Ireland and Scotland, and booking.com for the rest.   I had very good luck with the Airbnb's.   I will definitely use them again.   The woman I stayed with in Dublin was a serious world traveler, having built and sailed a yacht with her ex- who was a naval architect who designed and built their own vessel.  Plenty of cool stories and very helpful on local insights on how to get around and where to go.  I actually have new friends in Ireland in Cobh near Cork, having stayed with a family in their home, and having been so welcome as to be invited to join in on an extended family dinner, and personally given a tour of all the lovely places in Cobh by the Mrs. of the house.  The husband was a supervisor of Rugby Umpires, and being in the midst of World Cup and on an Irish win streak, gave me interesting observations on the matches.  The craik lasted until 2am with plenty of in-law needling over Irish sports and politics.  We are all now friends on Facebook.  I stayed at a traditional totally modern and immaculate BnB in Killarney run by a very sharp Gardei (police officer) and his wife.  As most know, I was a police officer and we had great conversations comparing working conditions and duties).  And, an agri-tourism working dairy farm in Dingle, bringing back memories of my wife's family dairy farm and my learning curve marrying into that whole scene.  So, as was said above, that is part of letting the serendipity happen...  ;D

An Irish cop and an American cop together in the west of Ireland....sounds like the plot for a movie?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_guard_2011/
Recomended

Let's make GCA grate again!

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2015, 06:05:50 AM »
Other great websites for B&B's in the UK include the Scottish Tourist Board,
http://www.visitscotland.com/en-us/   which is very reliable, as well as http://www.theaa.com/

David_Tepper

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »
"When renting a car, some of the big companies in the UK ask if they may charge you in dollars American.  Not a good idea to do this."

However note that AVIS gives you a discount of roughly 30% on a rental in GB&I, when booked  in the U.S., if you pay in advance in dollars.

Charles Lund

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2015, 09:50:40 PM »
Re: California trip
<Snip>
I am planning my next solo trip to California in January, and I love the challenge of trying to make everything work. Like a few others have said, I generally start planning the golf first, and work everything around this. However, I have found this much more difficult to do for a trip to the States vs. the UK, because of the guest / visitor play policy. Having contingencies is always a good plan (an option 2 within the area), as well as a few free days that can act as reschedule days or non-golf dates.

Also, renting a car when the pick-up and drop-off points are different can add serious cash to the bill. As an example, renting a car in LA, flying to SF, and renting in SF is roughly £400. Picking up at LAX, using for the week and dropping off at SFO a week later is £800...

I live in San Diego part of the year.  If you search point to point rentals and can't find a good rate, consider a Southern California loop and a Bay Area loop, with a flight on Southwest Air from San Diego or the LA area to San Francisco or San Jose airport.  San  Jose airport is about an hour from Monterey.   You can probably find good deals on SW flights if you fly on Tuesday or Wednesday and book a few weeks in advance.  They allow two 23 kilo bags.

If you want to fly from San Diego to Monterey, Alaska flies on their Horizon subsidiary.   Flights are oten about $100.  They charge $25 a bag. 

Also, if you look at non-airport rental sites, you can avoid hefty surcharges.

Also, I use a spreadsheet with adjacent columns for optional scenarios.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2015, 01:00:47 AM »

An Irish cop and an American cop together in the west of Ireland....sounds like the plot for a movie?
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_guard_2011/
Recomended

Wow Tony, life imitates art.  We exchanged arm patches.  I got this plain blue band with the word "GARDA", and he got a beautiful triangular multi-colored patch with the Wisconsin State Capitol and outline of four lakes Madison is known for....  :)
It is now in my book case alongside of a Pine Valley police patch that of all people, Neffers Martie obtained for me as he visited that unlikely location for a lad from Leven!  I've no idea what Martie traded for the patch, but it probably involved selling his soul to get on Pine Valley!  ;) :o ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2015, 08:11:23 AM »
Re: California trip
<Snip>

I live in San Diego part of the year.  If you search point to point rentals and can't find a good rate, consider a Southern California loop and a Bay Area loop, with a flight on Southwest Air from San Diego or the LA area to San Francisco or San Jose airport.  San  Jose airport is about an hour from Monterey.   You can probably find good deals on SW flights if you fly on Tuesday or Wednesday and book a few weeks in advance.  They allow two 23 kilo bags.

If you want to fly from San Diego to Monterey, Alaska flies on their Horizon subsidiary.   Flights are oten about $100.  They charge $25 a bag. 

Also, if you look at non-airport rental sites, you can avoid hefty surcharges.

Also, I use a spreadsheet with adjacent columns for optional scenarios.

Thanks Charles - I did look at Skyscanner, and seemed to find much better deals on the car rentals, but will need to see if they include the surcharge.

Bob Montle

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2015, 06:58:55 PM »
I have made three self directed golf trips to Scotland in the past four years.   I'm not saying that how I did things is the best or only way, but hopefully, some of my comments may be of help to someone here.

AIRFARE: I used cheapoair to search for lowest priced options for round trip fares. This May we flew RT from Greensboro to Glasgow for $975 each, all fees included.  USAIR allowed 1 free check bag per person (our golf club travel bags) and 1 free carry-on (our RickSteves backpack suitcases).

AUTOMOBILE: We enjoy driving and site-seeing, so 4 or 5 hr drives per day were no bother.  I have more courses I want to see than days available, and limited dollars, so only played 18 holes per day.  Having a rental cal allowed us to smell the roses along the way and visit castles, abbeys, standing stones, museums and so on.  A standard size diesel was $485 for two weeks unlimited mileage, including full insurance.  It got 53 MPG for the 1200 miles we put on the car.

EATING:  Full Scottish breakfast included at B&Bs.  This stuffed us so much we only snacked at lunchtime.  Check out LIDL grocery stores. Two apples turnovers for 1 pound, or 5 large croissants for 1 pound are just a few of the ways we snacked our way through lunch.  Croissants with cheese and sliced meat made tasty sandwiches to carry on the courses too.  If you eat where the locals eat you can find plenty of good food at very reasonable rates.   There are always plenty of pricier restaurants when you want more luxury.
My girlfriend and I would splurge every three or four nights and ate fish n chips or Indian or Italian on the other nights.

GOLFING:  We reserved tee times in advance for the links like Brora, N. Berwick or Machrihanish.  But if you call and talk with them when you make your reservations you will find they are very open to being flexible about changing times or days depending on the weather.  For example, it was storming something terrible the morning we were going to play.  A short call and we were moved back to 2pm and spent the morning indoors touring a castle.

This won't be for most of you, but we played alternate shot several times (Fraserburgh and Dunbar) to save on green fees.  You pay for one ball.  Whether one or two of you play it doesn't matter!

While we drove from city to city or town to town, the train service is wonderful also.  We spent three nights midway between N. Berwick and Edinburgh at a lovely waterfront B&B.  I would heartily recommend taking the train if you are planning to visit Edinburgh.  We took the train to Edinburgh, N. Berwick and Dunbar.

If you plan on golfing several courses in Fife, look at staying in Anstruther or Crail.  These are lovely old fishing towns where you can walk to everywhere in town from your B&B.  When we returned to Anstruther this year it was nice to have friends welcoming us by name in the restaurants, coffee shops and pubs.  We stay in Anstruther at Crichton's every year, and drive to Crail or Leven or St. Andrews.  Anstruther is just 20 minutes or less from the Old Course!

Our schedule this May was:
Saturday - arrive Glasgow, visit St Andrews, play the New Course (no reservations taken there) and on to a music concert in Aberdeen. Spend night with friends.
Sunday - Play Fraserburgh, visit lighthouse museum, tour a castle, drive to Nairn. (Two nights)
Monday - Tour castle, play Brora
Tuesday - Play Fortrose, tour castle, visit Oban, drive to Tarbert. (Three nights)
Wednesday - Ferry to Arran, hike to standing stones, play Shiskine, spend and hour on the beach.
Thursday - Play Macrihanish, sightsee in the area, back to tarbert.
Friday - Drive to Perth. Visit friends. See music concert at perth Festival. Stay with friends.
Saturday - Drive to Anstruther.  Play Crail balcomie. (3 nights)
Sunday - Walk the O.C. (free!), play New again.
Monday - Play Leven, play 9 at Anstruther with friends.  This was a wonderful surprise, with one of the most difficult and lovely par 3s in the world.
Tuesday - Drive to Cockenzie (4 nights), play Killspindie
Wednesday - Train to N. Berwick
Thursday - Train to Edinburgh
Friday - Train to Dunbar
Saturday - Fly home.

Two weeks, two people, total about $5600
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Tom_Doak

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »

we played alternate shot several times (Fraserburgh and Dunbar) to save on green fees.  You pay for one ball.  Whether one or two of you play it doesn't matter!

Bob:

This snippet is pure genius.  I don't know that I have ever seen that advertised anywhere, but I love the idea as a way to encourage more women to start playing the game.  I have done the same with my own wife, although it has nearly always been at courses where I didn't have to pay.

FYI:  In 1982-83, I spent $9400 to spend 9.5 months in Great Britain & ireland and to visit 170 courses.  And one of my main expenses was ... film!

Rick Emerson

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2015, 11:16:42 PM »
Can we change gears ( get it) a minute. I'd like to talk and ask about packing for a minute. I play all my golf with a small Sunday type bag because I rally love to walk and carry. It fits 14 clubs but I usually play with 12. I have a full sized travel bag that rolls well and I find that I can pack all my clothes for a week long golf trip, 2 pairs of golf shoes(I alternate pairs each day to give my shoes and feet a rest), my toiletries and my golf balls all fit in this bag easily and I can keep my weight limit. I then take a backpack with a change of clothes, my charger cords and electronics, and some snacks and a water bottle. It has worked really well so far on trips around China and back and forth to the U.S.. My only fear is that my bag will get lost. It would be really scary to go on a golf trip and get stuck with nothing but my one change of clothes. Have any of you had this happen? Do you think this is a good way to pack? It makes getting around airports a breeze but if the airlines lose your bag you are stuck.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back