News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Krume

Re: Heather
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 02:38:38 PM »
i think the most heather laden course must be Hankley, it is everywhere and its a bitch...

Paul Gray

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »
i think the most heather laden course must be Hankley, it is everywhere and its a bitch...

They farm it, literally. If you want to buy a lot of heather, Hankley can give you a quote.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »
Bill you may remember I cracked a rib playing out of the heather at Alwoodley.
Cave Nil Vino

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2015, 11:29:45 PM »
Bill you may remember I cracked a rib playing out of the heather at Alwoodley.

I missed that trip but can believe it.  On #12?

Paul Gray

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 03:00:36 AM »
I know the heather at North Hants could be rather thick. Last year they were making a real effort to thin it out which appeared to be working.

Liphook can certainly be a pain. I seem to recall the heather at New Zealand also being a struggle.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Sam Krume

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2015, 04:41:49 AM »
Walton Heath also have an abundance of the short purple stuff but they seem to be in control of it. A lot being stripped thinner on the old last time I was up there, I seem to remember

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2015, 08:45:37 AM »

They farm it, literally. If you want to buy a lot of heather, Hankley can give you a quote.

They do. All the heather that was planted at Queenwood came from Hankley
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sam Krume

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2015, 04:12:40 PM »

Cant say that ive seen or played Queenwood as i dont have an odd 150k laying around but i reckon Hankley could heather every course in UK and they would still have some left over!!!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
It's like a fine Scottish lassie. Bonnie, but deadly!

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2015, 10:21:41 PM »

Cant say that ive seen or played Queenwood as i dont have an odd 150k laying around but i reckon Hankley could heather every course in UK and they would still have some left over!!!

The tee to green heather on #7 Hankley is equal to most courses where I've seen the stuff. 

New Zealand's heather is diabolical because it's typically on both sides of the fairway.  I had a great driving day there and spent most of my time helping my fellow competitors look for their errant missles!

Tim Gallant

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 03:35:34 AM »

Josh Stevens

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 03:42:03 AM »
These sandy heathland soils tend to create a crust to them.  I guess its nice to break that up.

I do wonder however about the heather lips on the bunkers.

Looks lovely but raises the potential that a ball could actually pop through  a bunker up onto the heather covered lip and go from being an annoying half shot penalty, to being utterly unplayable.

Pros must scream at the unfairness of it all

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2015, 04:29:33 AM »
Here's the article.

http://http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Course-management-Waving-not-drowning-at-Royal-Dublin/2956/Default.aspx#.Vj3qD2IgGSM

Seems to be a broken link?

Ratbag, I'll check and repost

Try this for size:

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Article/Course-management-Waving-not-drowning-at-Royal-Dublin/2956/Default.aspx#.Vj4zUoQbTzI

Adam, thank you very much for the link - really enjoyed the article. My next question: what specifically does 'scarifying' do? So it cuts into the soil, but is that to encourage better drainage?

As I understand it (greenkeepers feel free to correct me) the point is to remove a proportion of the grass plants, the aim being a sward that is tall and waving, yet open.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back