News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Best O'The Resto's, Reno's and Re-do's
« on: October 28, 2015, 06:18:20 PM »
The threads about the resto work at Old Town and Roaring Gap got me to thinking about a list of the Top Five Restorations in your area.

In Chicago, I'd nominate:

1. Flossmoor
2. Shoreacres
3. Bob O'Link
4. Medinah #1
5. Olympia South

Flossmoor lost the most flab and was the biggest eye popper. Shoreacres was the essence of a minimalist redo. Bob O has added drama in what had been dulled down. Medinah #1 put fun back into play.   And Olympia South reminded people of the great bones of the first course built at this classic venue.

Exmoor, Beverly and Skokie were all great but not as dramatic a change from the prior iteration. 

Nominations from other areas???
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 08:23:13 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Brian Joines

Re: Best O'The Resto's
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 06:35:34 PM »
South Bend only has one real candidate for restoration and that hasn't happened yet.

So I will nominate a few of the best I've seen while traveling:

Cal Club
Orchard Lake (MI)
Maidstone
Plainfield

Matthew Sander

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »
Judge Lavin,

Would Butterfield make the list for most drastic?

High praise indeed for Flossmoor, considering all of the recent comments regarding the work at Shoreacres. I happen to love Flossmoor so I certainly appreciate your POV.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:36:18 PM »
Plainfield is a jaw dropper.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark Sider

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 07:03:55 PM »
Old Elm is pretty solid. Bob O isn't open yet. How have you seen it? The flyovers on the website don't look all that impressive considering the amount of cash they are spending.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 07:08:37 PM »
Old Elm did a great job. The bones tee to green just aren't as impressive as the others, to my eye. And the Pinehurst short grass around every green is impressive but a little overplayed maybe.

As for Bob O, I've seen the work a few times and it's spectacular. Budget wise, half of the money is for infrastructure.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:11:15 PM by Terry Lavin »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
A well known Philadelphia course is closing for 6 weeks in November for a renovation. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Sider

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 07:46:34 PM »
I think short grass around the greens brings complete excitement to the game. Taking out a 60 degree wedge and hitting soft pitch shots every hole when green side can be challenging but isn't fun. The short grass brings variety and creativity into play. Plus the ball keeps rolling. Then more courses that adopt short grass around the green coupled with tree removal everywhere else the more fun golf will be.

Gene Greco

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »
Southampton Golf Club
Cal Club
Mountain Lake
LACC
Paramount
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:21:19 PM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

J_ Crisham

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 07:54:27 PM »
From what I've seen this year: Cal Club, Meadow Club, Orchard Lake, Old Elm, and Shoreacres are as good as it gets.
  Medinah 1 , I consider being essentially a new course as it has been dramatically altered with new holes, etc.
Bob O Link I have yet to see in it's new form. Also would like to see the recent work at The Glenview Club- I've heard good things.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 08:15:56 PM »
Southampton Golf Club
Cal Club
Mountain Lake

Add in LACC North, Pinehurst #2, Philly Cricket, Winged Foot East, and Paramount and Hollywood....had they the balls to finish it!

Though I've yet to see it with my own eyes, I believe Old Town probably deserves to be on this list.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:26:10 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 08:32:12 PM »
Though I've yet to see it with my own eyes, I believe Old Town probably deserves on this list.

It absolutely does: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60356.0.html
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Gene Greco

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 09:22:24 PM »
Southampton Golf Club
Cal Club
Mountain Lake

How could I have initially left off LACC?? My bad..

Add in LACC North, Philly Cricket, Winged Foot East, and Paramount and Hollywood....had they the balls to finish it!

Though I've yet to see it with my own eyes, I believe Old Town probably deserves on this list.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Jason Way

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 09:58:52 PM »
The best I have seen in Chicagoland this year are Shoreacres, Old Elm, Onwentsia, OFCC South, and Bryn Mawr.

Outside of the 'hood, the best I have seen this year are Pasatiempo, Essex County, and Lawsonia Links. 

Not to digress into the whole restoration vs. restovation vs. renovation topic, but isn't it a stretch to call Bob O'Link and Medinah #1 restorations?  Both courses were essentially blown up and created anew, yes?
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Dunlop_White

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 11:20:35 PM »
Roaring Gap, Yeamans, Old Town, No. 2 and Mid Pines -- Sedgefield, Charlotte CC, Carolina GC
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 06:40:52 AM by Dunlop_White »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 07:00:29 AM »
Re the terminology parsing, Bob O is much more of a restoration and Medinah 1 is more of a renovation. They're both much improved.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 07:38:29 AM »

Can we define Restoration for this - I'll nominate a few after.

For example Cal Club has new holes, so what's the line in the sand?
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 08:22:03 AM »
You're qualified to answer that question. Either way it fits in this thread.

Phil McDade

Re: Best O'The Resto's, Reno's and Re-do's
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 08:57:52 AM »
The work done at Milwaukee CC probably deserves mention here --expanded fairways, lots of tree clearance (although it's still heavily wooded in parts), and notably some open views on holes, particularly 10 and 15, of the Milwaukee River. The changes at 10 in particular -- not just the views, but a moved fairway, changes in bunkering schemes, and better use of the terrain -- have really improved that hole.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »
The work done at Milwaukee CC probably deserves mention here --expanded fairways, lots of tree clearance (although it's still heavily wooded in parts), and notably some open views on holes, particularly 10 and 15, of the Milwaukee River. The changes at 10 in particular -- not just the views, but a moved fairway, changes in bunkering schemes, and better use of the terrain -- have really improved that hole.
+1     One could argue that Milwaukee CC is the best course in Wisconsin now.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 11:01:10 AM »
I never played it before Lester's work, but Greenbrier - Old White has got to be in the upper tier of this discussion. And with the work that Tom Doak (EDIT: I goofed on this, as it looks like it was Wayne Morrison and Tom Paul oversaw the work; my mistake, Tom!) did at Homestead - Cascades a few years prior, that's a pretty good one-two punch in a relatively isolated area.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 04:31:59 PM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

BHoover

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 11:06:36 AM »
For me it's the one at the course that got me interested in architecture in the first place--Brookside.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 11:11:45 AM »
I never played it before Lester's work, but Greenbrier - Old White has got to be in the upper tier of this discussion. And with the work that Tom Doak did at Homestead - Cascades a few years prior, that's a pretty good one-two punch in a relatively isolated area.

I've never done any work at The Homestead.

I do agree with Terry that I wouldn't call Medinah #1 a restoration -- or even a renovation.  We changed half the holes and nearly all the greens.  It's an original design.

For restorations, my best candidates [sharing with various associates] would be Camargo, Shoreacres, Yeamans Hall, The Valley Club, Pasatiempo, Somerset Hills and San Francisco Golf Club, based on the scope of work done.  We've done a bunch of them, though ... Garden City, Milwaukee, Hollywood, etc.

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 11:53:37 AM »
Cal, LACC and Pasatimepo are right up there for me.

Shoreacres is now even more awesome (is that even possible?). Wider, less trees, firm and green expansions.

For me, I think Cal/LACC were more fundamental restoration/renovations with Shoreacres being more in refinement category (mowing lines, tree removal, etc.).

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 12:19:49 PM »
In Chicago, the best I've seen are the following:

Old Elm - The work that Drew Rogers & Dave Zinkland have done there is spectacular.
[/size]Skokie - The golf course is far and away better after Prichard's work. I think now we take for granted his work there, but at the time it was very dramatic and made the course marketly better.
[/size]Shoreacres - For reasons stated above.
[/size]Flossmoor - Flossmoor wasn't much to look at circa 2001, but when I went back in roughly 2010 I thought the work done was great. I wasn't crazy about the new holes but was certainly a dramatic redesign.
[/size]Onwentsia - It's been years since I've been there but I really like that golf course and Doak's renovation work there years ago is really underrated.
[/size]
[/size]Exmoor, Beverly, Evanston all kind of blend together to me. In particular at Exmoor and Evanston Prichard went overboard on the bunkering.
[/size]
[/size]Still haven't been back to see Glen View Club's new work done by Urbina. Looks great from the pictures I've seen but generally it seems to be many subtle changes.
[/size]
[/size]Urbina's work at Bob O Link is interesting. From Google all I can tell so far is that he didn't take down nearly enough trees. It's a tough job because that is a pretty boring property.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back