News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

2016 5th Major at Dismal River
« on: October 28, 2015, 01:38:05 PM »

Fellow GCAers –

It is my pleasure to announce that registration is now open for the 17th playing of the 5th Major Championship, to be held once again at the Dismal River Golf Club in the Nebraska sandhills.

The 5th Major is a not too serious fourball event played over both courses at Dismal - the White Course, designed by Jack Nicklaus and the Red Course, designed by Tom Doak.

You will need a partner, but don’t hesitate to come alone, as we've had success in pairing several of the past champions. Everyone is welcome - no matter the skill level - as the event is flighted.

I hope that many of you will consider making the trip out to Nebraska for what will be the tournament's 6th year at Dismal. I can’t thank the club enough for allowing me to host this event. My good friend and fellow GCAer, Chris Johnston, CEO of Dismal River, deserves the bulk of my gratitude. Thank you, Chris!

---

More details for 2016

Dates: June 23-26

Format: Fourball

Cost: $1,195 per person includes: 3 days of unlimited golf, 3 nights accommodation in the onsite cabins, all meals (Dinner on Thursday, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner on Friday, Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner on Saturday and Breakfast on Sunday). Also includes all taxes and gratuities for the 5th Major package.

Who: Everyone! There are 80 spots available (40 Teams), so feel free to invite a friend or your favorite foursome to come out for a few days and enjoy a ton of golf, beer and steak.

Register: A $100 deposit is due by April 15 in order to secure your reservation. Deposits are non-refundable after this date.

Additional day(s): Those wishing to stay extra days and/or nights before or after the event should contact the club directly at 308-546-2900. Space is limited.

Transportation: The easiest way to fly to Dismal River is via Denver International Airport. There you can rent a car and drive approximately 5 hours to DRGC. http://goo.gl/maps/KZ9B2 Many GCAers have carpooled from DIA to Dismal and I'd expect that to be the case next year as well so check back later for updates.

*Another option is to fly further on from Denver to North Platte, Nebraska via Great Lakes Air.http://greatlakes.booksecure.net/Criteria.aspx There you can rent a car and drive approximately an hour and a half to the club. Their flight schedule is limited so you'll want to check to be sure there are available flights on the dates in which you wish to travel.

Other golf courses to consider on your trip:
In Denver there is a public course by Tom Doak, CommonGround
Also in Denver is the private Coore & Crenshaw design Colorado Golf Club
About halfway to Dismal River is the private Tom Doak design, Ballyneal
Near Ogallala on Lake McConaughy, there is Bayside, which has an affordable stay and play package.
A bit further east on I-80 is Wild Horse
Next door to Dismal River is Sand Hills Golf Club
2 hours north is the Prairie Club

Additional information: Format, schedules, photo galleries, videos, etc. at 5thmajor.com

Still a few spots remaining!

Cheers,

Eric
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 04:27:10 PM by Eric Smith »

astavrides

Re: 2016 5th Major at Dismal River
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »
Thanks, Eric. Edit: Darn, can't make it. Hopefully another year soon.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:40:53 AM by astavrides »

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 02:50:55 PM »
Thanks, Eric. I'm hoping to make it this year.

Great! Hope to see you next summer, Alex

Steve Green

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
Eric, 

You can count on me and Jeff Carlsen next summer.  Looking forward to it.

Steve
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Bertrand Russell

Matt Elliot

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 03:41:57 PM »
I attended last summer for the first time.  This event is top notch and a ton of fun!  The golf was great and the food was out of this world!  Our Tomahawk Chop flight was a great group of guys! If you haven't attended the 5th Major or been lucky enough to experience Dismal River I highly recommend you make this trip a reality.  I hope to make it back this summer!

Doug Siebert

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »
You know I'll be back, Eric! But maybe this time if we join Chris on another "expedition", we in the morning instead of right before sunset  8)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 09:23:18 AM »
Got a partner....I'm playing!!!!

Neil Johnston

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 11:07:22 AM »
You know I'll be back, Eric! But maybe this time if we join Chris on another "expedition", we in the morning instead of right before sunset  8)

and perhaps a child proof gate around the fire!

I plan to be back in the Sand Hills in 2016

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 07:56:25 PM »
I'd love to make it to one of these. I haven't been back since we built the place:(

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
Eric

I promised you I'd make it next year. now i need to find a partner.

Wonder what Jim Thorpe is doing?

Chez Wardo
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 07:16:05 AM »
I've been to two of these 5th Majors now and I have every intention of attending another.  Last year I registered as a solo and was paired with Doug Siebert, which turned out to be an epic of Doug's unfortunate injury and his triumph to overcome and literally carry me to a flight victory. 

I will start the registration process as a solo again, but I am lobbying my local golf friends to partner me in order to share this unique golf experience.  But as we all know, while there are good golfers out there, most don't "get it" when it comes to GCA and realization there are golf experiences out there like this to be had.   ::)

Thanks Eric and Chris for all you do...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2015, 09:27:17 AM »
Eric, please put me down as a strong tentative, oh hell, a participant.  In the meantime I am waiting on an experimental full body transplant to come through and be approved by Medicare. 

Thanks!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2015, 10:10:49 AM »
Eric, please put me down as a strong tentative, oh hell, a participant.  In the meantime I am waiting on an experimental full body transplant to come through and be approved by Medicare. 

Thanks!
:)
If approval doesn't come through, you could just take one more club on all approach shots....
P

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »

Thanks!
:)
If approval doesn't come through, you could just take one more club on all approach shots....
P

Already taking two more....

RSantangelo

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2015, 11:48:27 AM »
This sounds great

I will join with a buddy

So I call the club to make the deposits?

Many thanks

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2015, 03:53:43 PM »
Thanks, guys. Excited how the field is shaping up thus far. I am lagging behind in responding to everyones inquiries but will get caught up tomorrow re: deposit instructions and answering any questions you all may have had. Again, thank you!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 04:57:27 PM »
Eric - At this rate you'll have to expect a full 156-man field. You may even have to organize 5th Major "local qualifiers" at various Doak-Nicklaus sites across the country; the first three guys at each site to polish off a bottle of Jack Daniels get into the big show! (You may want to ask the Tour's permission to make it an "Invitational"....)
Peter

Eric Smith

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2015, 05:14:20 PM »
Ha!

You know Peter you have to stop teasing me. When I notice that you've posted on this thread I get uber excited thinking "by jingo he's finally coming!" But then disappointment sets in and its back to meditating to Metallica on the pan flute.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2015, 05:18:36 PM »
Ha ha!!
I didn't know where you were going with that, Eric, but "meditating to Metallica on the pan flute" was a laugh out loud surprise. Thanks, friend.
Peter

Eric Smith

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »
 ;D

Michael Marzec

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2015, 01:46:55 PM »

Very keen on playing. Need to figure out the summer schedule (and get appropriate permissions...), but my deposit check is ready to mail!

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. And furthermore, always carry a small snake." - W.C. Fields

Jon Heise

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2015, 02:15:47 PM »
Would like to think I'm 90% for this... hope to confirm soon.

Jon
I still like Greywalls better.

Eric Smith

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »
By my calculations we have a flight and a half already. 8)  Thanks, gents!

Regarding deposits - I've been emailing back and forth with the club accountant and with the season over her hours in the office are sporadic so it is best to email Leanne with your name and phone number at lfrench@dismalriver.com and she will call you back to process your credit card information and confirm your entry.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 08:54:16 PM »
I know this will be frightening to many potential participants, but Bill McBride and Dick Daley have agreed to form Team Old Fart.   

Unless we get better offers. 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 09:38:46 PM »
I know this will be frightening to many potential participants, but Bill McBride and Dick Daley have agreed to form Team Old Fart.   
Unless we get better offers.
With that team nickname, Bill, I'm sure the better offers will soon be rolling in. Oh yeah, I mean, folks will be breaking down doors for a chance to hang around an old fart....

;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back