News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

I believe George Strath designed it in either 1898 or 1901.  It looks awesome.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MCirba

Apparently the club was founded and incorporated in 1901 as the "Fisher's Island Field Corporation" with the intent of laying out and maintaining a golf course, and opened in the spring of 1902.   

George Strath was the big man on Mulberry Street in Brooklyn at that time in golf, so probably not surprising he was asked to lay it out.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

V. Kmetz

Hay Harbor is the bomb; the lid's off...

One of the best days of golf in my life was playing 30 holes at the big course and jumping on HH for a 80 minute 9 holes before just catching the ferry back
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Mike Dutton

Looking at those photos I have to assume that Tony Pioppi has not had the great fortune to be invited to the island (nor have I).  Based on photos I can’t imagine how Hay Harbor is not on anyone’s list of top 10 nine-holers.

I can share with everyone that Hay Harbor was given strong consideration for inclusion on 2020's Golf Magazine Top 50 9-hole courses in the world ranked list, narrowly missing out.  My sense is there is a favorable chance that the course could find its way on to the list the next time around.

MD

Jeff Schley

My host, whose family lives on the island, said he plays HH one out every three times he plays. So FI twice, then HH once. Pretty good recommendation, when you have one of the top 10 course in the world IMO as your home course but you skip it numerous times throughout the year for HH.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back