News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alan Ritchie

Re: "Bandon is a toy by comparison." To his courses per Donald J. Trump
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2015, 04:32:04 PM »
whilst I agree that there is certainly over bunkering and overdoing of some greens  I think trump Aberdeen does have many holes that require strategy and a good degree of risk/ reward. and there are certainly great and memorable holes.  I'm sure it's not the best in the world but a great course none the less and one that should be seen.. unfortunately the guy responsible is a loon!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2015, 04:49:31 PM »
whilst I agree that there is certainly over bunkering and overdoing of some greens  I think trump Aberdeen does have many holes that require strategy and a good degree of risk/ reward. and there are certainly great and memorable holes.  I'm sure it's not the best in the world but a great course none the less and one that should be seen.. unfortunately the guy responsible is a loon!

I don't think the greens are overdone myself, and tbh the only dramatic overbunkering is on the eighteenth. But which holes are you talking about Alan? Which holes at Trump Aberdeen are genuinely good enough that they'd fit in on one of the world's consensus elite courses? Cause I don't see them. Yes the par threes are strong. I like the fourth, especially its green, very much. Downwind and from a sensible tee the second is a very clever, strategic hole. Ten has a great greensite but upwind the hole is silly. Fourteen is eye candy. Fifteen is good. Seventeen is excellent, perhaps the best hole on the course. And eighteen us one of the stupidest holes I have ever seen.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »
Tom

Fair point but I wonder if even he would have the brass neck to make that kind of statement ie.stating something as fact, knowing it was false. After all, saying your course is the best in the world is a matter of opinion rather than fact.

Niall

Trump has a history of stating things as being fact while knowing they aren't. Or at least if he is honest with himself he would know they weren't fact. Problem is that there are a lot of people in the world that are not honest with themselves. Therefore, there are a lot of people in the world that absolutely believe the lies they tell.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Alan Ritchie

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2015, 08:25:19 PM »
I suppose it depends on how far you extend the list of elite courses. Its clearly a top 100 course in my view but where exactly it fits is obviously up for debate.  I think it is a collection of very good holes with few weak ones. the par 3 s on the front 9 are excellent in particular but each hole asks a question.  In the one round I've played there were certainly few 'just stand and blast it straight' Moments. on the back 9 I thought the holes 12-15 were particularly strong and again the 17th is excellent.

in comparison to the other scottish moderns of castle Stuart and kingsbarns that are generally seen as world class, I think it stands up pretty well

Garland Bayley

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2015, 08:30:27 PM »
Niall,

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/donald-trump-interview

Donald - Trump Aberdeen is fully booked
GD - We called there were plenty of openings

I didn't reread, but my recollection is that GD catches him lying on more than just this occasion.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »

If economic headwinds return, then Trump may get his face ripped off as his model will disintegrate with his client's disposable income. Keiser may take a hit, but - at his price points - his courses will have a broader appeal.

You really think that if economic headwinds return, the 5% will be less affected than the 1% ?

Of course the answer to that is no.

I do think that Keiser can weather said storm better. He can relax his rates to where the market returns in volume. From what I've seen, Trump will have more difficulty with that equation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back