News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Oakmont, the Field Club and birdies, oh my!
« on: October 20, 2015, 12:41:01 PM »
One birdie was had here (a really fun place):

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/PFC/

Many birdies were had here (even an eagle, too):

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/NA/

No birdies were had here for me, but I had a blast:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/OCC/

Please, enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 05:42:15 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JMEvensky

Re: A trip to Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »

Many birdies were had here (even an eagle, too):

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/NA/

I see what you did there. Hope all is well.

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »
Great stuff Joe.  Thanks.

Bob

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 04:45:35 PM »
One of my wife's college roommates is a former director of the Aviary. It's wonderful place, especially for kids.

Not much more I can say about Oakmont. Best course ever. :) In all seriousness, the topography is a bit lost in the translation to a 2D medium, but those pics are gorgeous. Oakmont asks simple questions - not EASY questions, but SIMPLE ones. Hole after hole after hole. How do you handle a fallaway green? How do you handle a short, but not driveable, par 4 with an incredibly bold green? How do you handle a long par 4 with a green perched atop a hill? And so on, and so on, and so on.

I believe there are more picturesque courses, more beautiful experiences, even better days. But I don't believe there are better courses. There simply can't be, there isn't a weak hole on the course. As good, sure. 18=18, after all. But not better.

-----

PFC is a Burgh gem.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Sherma

Re: Oakmont, the Field Club and birdies, oh my!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
I love the Aviary! I always try to get there when in town, well worth a special trip if your there. Easily a Doak 6 and maybe a 7 if you are into that type of thing.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »
I love the Aviary! I always try to get there when in town, well worth a special trip if your there. Easily a Doak 6 and maybe a 7 if you are into that type of thing.

I like your high Doak rating for NA.  I agree a Doak 7 worthy!

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 12:50:55 PM »
In your opinion, what is the single best thing about Oakmont (and you cannot say its history)?

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 05:07:48 PM »
In your opinion, what is the single best thing about Oakmont (and you cannot say its history)?

It's culture

Joe Bausch

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »

The entire experience was excellent. Pure golf atmosphere.

If you wanted to know something about the course, I guess it is too easy to say the greens, but they are superb.

But maybe a more nuanced answer was how I found the wonderful mix of old school features like ditches with an overall modern look that works. And works wonderfully.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »
Oakmont puts the awe in awesome.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Eric Hammerbacher

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 08:06:27 PM »
Great pictures Joe.

George said it best in that there is not a weak hole on the course...but with all the special holes and unique features, I find myself still thinking hole #1 is my favorite golf hole I've ever played. 
"All it takes, in truth, for a golfer to attain his happiness is a fence rail to throw his coat on, and a target somewhere over the rise." -John Updike 1994

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 08:13:53 PM »

This has nothing to do with the architecture, but Oakmont is a great experience.   Every time I played there somebody intercepted me in the parking lot, "Welcome Mr. McBride, how you doing," etc. The members are terrific, the Iron City Light is always frigid, the popcorn is center cut, the locker room is ancient.  Then you hit a few balls and then some putts on the back half of the ninth green.  Then the first tee and OMG, the game is on!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 08:41:20 PM »

This has nothing to do with the architecture, but Oakmont is a great experience.   Every time I played there somebody intercepted me in the parking lot, "Welcome Mr. McBride, how you doing," etc. The members are terrific, the Iron City Light is always frigid, the popcorn is center cut, the locker room is ancient.  Then you hit a few balls and then some putts on the back half of the ninth green.  Then the first tee and OMG, the game is on!

Mmmmm, IC Light!

I'd knock off everyone in this DG for just one sweet drop of IC Light!

BCowan

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 08:56:54 PM »
The Oakmont Tavern is right down the hill.... :)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »

Mmmmm, IC Light!

I'd knock off everyone in this DG for just one sweet drop of IC Light!

ICL!

John Foley

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 08:56:09 AM »
Great pics Joe!! Too bad the weather didn't cooperate!!

For me one of the great things about Oakmont is, given it's difficulty, you can tack your way around the course & potentially have the ball in your hand on 18 be the one you teed off 1 on.
Integrity in the moment of choice

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »

As I said earlier, it's simple conceptually, but difficult in practice. Part of this is undoubtedly the maintenance meld - heavy rough, lightning greens, firm and fast throughout - but I'd argue most of it is the design. Fallaway greens, boldly tilted greens, boldly contoured greens, boldly perched greens, cavernous bunkers, Church Pews - all of these elements add up to a sum greater than its parts.

The history and culture grew out of this, imho. And its wonderful caretakers present the course in superb fashion.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

RSantangelo

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »

This is a really hard question....the culture of the place is spectacular, and I am tempted to say that....but it omits and incredible design

The course design is brilliant but that omits the conditioning which electrifies the course and kind of brings it to life

Together those 3 make for an extraordinary experience and always leaves me dying to return soon

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »
Joe

These tours are so good and your enthusiasm is infectious but . . . you lost me at ICL! :-)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
Joe

These tours are so good and your enthusiasm is infectious but . . . you lost me at ICL! :-)

I've told this story umpteen times.  As a kid growing up in the 70s in the Midwest, collecting beer cans was a thing to do.  So I knew all about IC beer.

It wasn't until 1995 I think when I had my first trip to the burgh for a meeting at Pitt.  We stayed in the student concrete monstrosity dorm.  I headed down the first evening to the local bars in search of Iron City.  Quickly I saw a neon sign showing the local brew.  I went in and asked for a cold IC.  And the bartender said "we don't sell that swill.  We just like the neon sign".

JESII

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 10:23:34 PM »
That is perfect!

Thanks Prof!

Phil McDade

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 10:22:42 AM »
Joe:

Thanks for the great tours of these courses. I'm not sure I've seen Oakmont's greens captured so well -- a difficult thing to do in photos. I'm struck moreso by the tilt of the greens than the contours -- most of the greens seem to capture the "lay of the land" feel to them, with some additional contouring, but I can easily see where being on the wrong side of the hole on those greens is semi-terrifying.

A few other things that stood out:

-- There seems to be ample width there -- I didn't see anything in the pictures that made it seemed confined off the tee. Maybe that's a reflection of the tree clearing that gives the entire place a more open feel than in its incarnation a few decades ago, but the course strikes me as one with ample width but severe penalties the second you drift off the fairway.

-- The manner in which the holes capture the broad contours of the land is really superb. Some abrupt land movement uphill leading to blind or semi-blind shots, and then the swooping nature of a hole like 12. Great routing.

-- Boy, the par 3s really strike me as intimidating. For some reason the par 3s at Oakmont perhaps don't have the notoriety of some of its other holes, but they all look really good and just plain difficult.

I also think that something that gets lost sometimes in evaluating Oakmont is how varied the course is -- some notably short par 4s, but also mixed in with some lengthy par 3s and par 5s and demanding par 4s. Its flow of holes is also really terrific, it seems, and for a championship course, it starts and ends like one should -- with tough pars.

Joe Bausch

Re: Oakmont, the Field Club and birdies, oh my! New
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 05:32:25 PM »
Very good observations, Phil.

Have you played the Field Club?  Would like to hear your comments on it.  I loved it.  What a wonderful complement to Oakmont.

It was a great trip.

P.S.  Included two absolutely fabulous dinners as well (Chaya in Squirrel Hill and Tako in the theatre district).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:44:47 AM by Joe Bausch »

RSantangelo

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 07:32:50 PM »
There seems to be ample width there -- I didn't see anything in the pictures that made it seemed confined off the tee. Maybe that's a reflection of the tree clearing that gives the entire place a more open feel than in its incarnation a few decades ago, but the course strikes me as one with ample width but severe penalties the second you drift off the fairway.

------

The fairways to me seem to play tighter than they look...

The fairways are vey firm and very fast and typically have some slope and often playing angles making you commit to a line....so the runout really narrows the truly safe landing areas...the mowing pattern left just the light cut which rarely stops the ball.... so many "ok" drives that would be ok with softer conditions don't end very well...but it's super fun...every shot holds your attention til it finishes its run out and comes to rest

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back