News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Is Shinnecock the only golf course that can
« on: October 18, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
host a Women's Member-Guest on Wednesday and the U.S. Open on Thursday without making any alterations to the golf course ?

Is Shinnecock the only course that can accommodate every level of golfer on a daily basis ?

BHoover

Re: Is Shinnecock the only golf course that can
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 04:31:50 PM »
I don't know, but I'm guessing this means someone just finished playing Shinnecock.

What about Oakmont? Or any of the courses on the Open rota (granted, it obviously wouldn't be a U.S. Open, but it would still be an Open)?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 05:30:20 PM by Brian Hoover »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:27:03 PM »
They did, in fact, make a lot of modifications to the course for the U.S. Opens played there.

They didn't need to; but they don't really need to at any of the other courses which host the U.S. Open, either. 

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
The list of courses that could handle all levels is probably longer than those that couldn't.

Jason Chambers

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 05:54:52 PM »
I'm sure it is not, but it looks like I may need to grab a skirt and start teeing it up from the ladies tees! :)   Might be my best shot at being on the course!

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 06:02:28 PM »
host a Women's Member-Guest on Wednesday and the U.S. Open on Thursday without making any alterations to the golf course ?

Is Shinnecock the only course that can accommodate every level of golfer on a daily basis ?

They had to water the 7th green after the first group in the ladies Member -Guest?

I'd love to see them play the the Shinnecock you reference, but so far they haven't.
Perhaps they will next time as the Shinnecock that the members play is a great course
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:36:30 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
A moronic memeambitude. But for the sake of argument, Prairie Dunes has done exactly that.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 06:45:29 PM »
The list of courses that could handle all levels is probably longer than those that couldn't.

Andrew,

Could you name 10.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 06:47:12 PM »

A moronic memeambitude. But for the sake of argument, Prairie Dunes has done exactly that.

JakaB,

A "Men's" U.S. Open.

And, I believe that like Newport, Prairie Dunes narrowed their fairways for the Women's Open

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2015, 07:10:01 PM »

Andrew,

Could you name 10.

Yes but what point are you trying to make that only Shinnecock can do it?

Jason Thurman

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2015, 07:20:10 PM »

Andrew,

Could you name 10.

Yes but what point are you trying to make that only Shinnecock can do it?

The point is that he wants you to know he played Shinnecock recently. When you boil it down, this is just another "Going to Seminole, what should I look for architecturally?" thread, but in the past tense and slightly more veiled and with 3+ companion threads set to follow.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 07:26:51 PM »
That is why it is a moronic memeambitude. It would be fun just to create a meme of Pat at his latest conquest while we offered captions. I've got one for the 18th at Shinnecock:  "Four wood, more like worm wood".

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »

The point is that he wants you to know he played Shinnecock recently. When you boil it down, this is just another "Going to Seminole, what should I look for architecturally?" thread, but in the past tense and slightly more veiled and with 3+ companion threads set to follow.
No, PM Looking for some attention! Say it's not true.  :-)

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 07:42:37 PM »
With no qualifiers present, such as comfortable with scoring, no rules on gallery size, etc. I'm going to assume that the only limitation is that there must be a practice range, and the course must be able to sustain the volume of foot traffic of 156 pros and caddies.

Is there any reason why some 10,000 courses in America couldn't host both events?

Didn't think so.

Bill_Yates

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 08:49:09 PM »
Does Oakmont count? The USGA has typically slowed down the greens for the Open Championship.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:51:15 PM by Bill_Yates »
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 08:51:17 PM »
Does Oakmont count? The USGA has typically slowed down the green for the Open Championship.

You beat me to it.  The members are very proud of the standard Stimp of insane. 

Bill_Yates

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 08:53:57 PM »
Bill,
Insane but Fun!
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Michael Moore

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 09:17:15 PM »
Shinnecock would not be able to host a member's event on the Wednesday before a U.S. Open because the course would be closed for practice rounds.

This applies to all courses.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Steve Okula

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 10:45:38 PM »
Typically it would be a Pro-Am on Wednesday. The practice rounds fall on Monday & Tuesday.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 06:33:50 AM by Steve Okula »
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

David Kelly

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 10:54:20 PM »
Right now Shinnecock has small flags up on the right side of the 10th hole indicating where they want to bring the rough in to narrow the fairway.

Also, for the Senior Men's US Open, Prairie Dunes significantly grew the rough.  However they played the course during the tournament at a much shorter yardage than what was listed on the back tees were at the time.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »
After caddying in the U.S. Senior Women's Amateur, I firmly believe the premise is absurd.  Shinnecock is an absolute brute and unless significantly neutered would not tolerate the women's  game at all.   

For reference it took 163 to make match play in the women's senior am on a course playing at  5850 yards with modest bermuda rough and little trouble tee to green. 

Bogey

« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 11:17:54 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 08:26:56 AM »
Considering just the golf course, the ONLY answer in the U. S. is Augusta National Golf Club.  Small field, however for the member-guest.

The Old Course is the ONLY other answer. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:18:09 AM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 08:35:08 AM »

What exactly are the qualifications for this?
Fairway width? Green speeds? Rough height?

Is this a maintenance issue or an architectural quality?
Subjective or objective?
If the latter, please describe.

Otherwise, this is a non-thread.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »
Geez,
Do you guys all read Pat's posts with excitement if you find ways to take shot at him or laugh at the premise?
I do not think he is talking ultra literal as in we know they could not have a tournament a day after a member guest. I believe his point is that Shinnecock presents a fair, and stern test. They will alter the course for the US Open, but may not have to. The greens, and wind present challenges from all distances, yet the width of the fairways and many greens open in the front make it playable for all levels.
I am not sure if it is the only course that can pull this off, but I think Pat is right, the course presents a stern challenge to the player looking to play around par, but allows a lesser player to get around and enjoy themselves.

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 09:19:06 AM »
Geez,
Do you guys all read Pat's posts with excitement if you find ways to take shot at him or laugh at the premise?
I do not think he is talking ultra literal as in we know they could not have a tournament a day after a member guest. I believe his point is that Shinnecock presents a fair, and stern test. They will alter the course for the US Open, but may not have to. The greens, and wind present challenges from all distances, yet the width of the fairways and many greens open in the front make it playable for all levels.
I am not sure if it is the only course that can pull this off, but I think Pat is right, the course presents a stern challenge to the player looking to play around par, but allows a lesser player to get around and enjoy themselves.

Keith,
I would love to see them present Shinnecock as Pat described, but history has shown us they haven't.
I would say nearly every US Open course could present a proper challenge for members and pros, but they never give that theory a chance.
I might even argue that the setups produce WORSE champions than they would get if they played it the day after the Ladies Member -Guest.
Look at a list of winners back in the 70's 80's knee high rough days compared to say Augusta, the poster child for member play and tournament play (at least back in the day)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back