News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: Is Shinnecock the only golf course that can
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 09:22:08 AM »
Keith, I have little doubt that The Mooch spends plenty of time with the ladies, but I doubt much of it is on the golf course. 

Shinnecock is one of the least "accomodative" golf courses I've played.  It does not suffer fools and I doubt it suffers low approach shots with little spin.  Think about approaching the 10th and 11th with low trajectories and no spin.  Don't ask me how I know.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 09:35:29 AM »
Many years ago, I had the privilege of paying Merion. There was a sign on the pro shop door notifying members that they would be playing US Open conditions for the weekend. Besides double cutting the greens, not much was required.

David Kelly

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 12:57:18 PM »
Many years ago, I had the privilege of paying Merion. There was a sign on the pro shop door notifying members that they would be playing US Open conditions for the weekend. Besides double cutting the greens, not much was required.
And yet when they actually had the US Open they saw fit to mess with the course.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2015, 01:21:16 PM »
JeffW,
I agree with you 100%. I would love to see Shinnecock played without alteration. I am not sure that Pat said that is how they do it, I think that he said it COULD be done. With that, I agree.

Michael H.
There are a lot of female members and older male members who play the course every day and enjoy a great day without the ability to hit high spinning shots. While 11 obviously calls for an aerial approach, number 10 is probably better approached by a low running shot up the hill. Many pros spun their ball off 10 and it had one of the highest scoring averages in the Open.

RDecker

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2015, 05:09:26 PM »
Considering the outrageous level of maintenance at most Westchester and Long Island clubs and the level of skill expected of their members I would think that most of them could do it by simply using different tees.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 06:53:27 PM »
Olympic Lake.   The changes that remain from the 2007 Amateur and 2012 Open are in play still (eg new bunker on 17; reshaped bunker on 6; new tees on 2, 5, 6, 12) and some of the other alterations  (eg back tee on 3 and 16) could be put back in a moment's notice.   The only difference would be fairway width, which has been returned to a normal state and IMHO proved to be very playable while still challenging elite level players when the course hosted the USGA 4ball.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2015, 10:05:21 PM »
The list of courses that could handle all levels is probably longer than those that couldn't.

Andrew,

Could you name 10.

Yes but what point are you trying to make that only Shinnecock can do it?

I'll tell you after you name ten courses.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 10:41:08 PM »
Quote from: Jason Thurman link=topic=61984.msg1472166#msg1472166 date=1445210410

The point is that he wants you to know he played Shinnecock recently.[size=12pt

Jason,

Not surprisingly you're wrong again.

I've played lots of courses recently, with the most recent course being NGLA.

But, I didn't start a thread about NGLA.

The day before I played NGLA I played Southampton, but I didn't start a thread about Southampton.

I also played Mountain Ridge and Garden City, but I didn't start threads about Garden City and Mountain Ridge.

Jealousy doesn't become you.

Shinnecock needs nothing in the way of alterations, it's just about the purist golf course I've played.  As to difficulty, it accommodates the broad spectrum of members and guests who enjoy the course on a daily basis.

There is no need to narrow the fairways and I don't know if any effort will be made to do so.

Shinnecock is a par 70.

It has been lengthened.

But, you could hold the Women's Member-Guest on Wednesday and the Men's U.S. Open on Thursday.

What does that tell you about the architecture ?

P.S.  The wind is a unique bonus that
         Many courses don't enjoy
[/size]

When you boil it down, this is just another "Going to Seminole, what should I look for architecturally?" thread, but in the past tense and slightly more veiled and with 3+ companion threads set to follow.

You're confused again, I didn't create that thread,

mike_beene

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2015, 12:03:08 AM »
Although a resort , Pinehurst 2 seems like a poster child for this premise.

George Pazin

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2015, 04:51:34 PM »
Depends on the attitude of the women at the member guest, and/or the attitude of the men at the Open.

Oakmont, Mountain Ridge, Plainfield, Aronimink, Old Course, Augusta, Prairie Dunes, probably a bunch of other Ross gems. They wouldn't be at all the same for each group, but wonderful nonetheless.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back