News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Disher

Photos of Arroyos
« on: October 15, 2015, 09:49:28 AM »
Does anyone have or can point to photographs of sometimes dry creek beds that are integral parts of golf courses?

David_Tepper

Re: Photos of Arroyos
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
There must a photo tour of Pasatiempo here that shows the arroyos that come into play on several of the holes on the back nine there.

John Cowden

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 10:57:32 AM »
Not sure if there's a distinction between "arroyo" and "barranca", David.  "Barranca" is the term more commonly used at Pasatiempo.  Then again, I've also heard it said, "'Barranca' is golf slang for 'sh*t'".

Josh Tarble

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »
Probably the best "arroyo" photo I've seen  ;D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 11:17:25 AM »
I'm traveling so can't access it, but I think George Thomas' book has great photos of Riviera's dry arroyos before they were filled with the kikuyu weed. 

Scott Weersing

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 11:19:14 AM »

Rustic Canyon has dry creek beds on several holes, including 1, 5, 6, 7, 11, 14, and 18.

Arroyo Trabuco in Mission Viejo has several arroyos also.

There are lots of courses where the land was not really good for golf but they built a course anyways, such as Lost Canyons in Simi Valley.

Erik Mosley

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
I know TPC Vegas has several holes with arroyos.  I don't have any personal photos, but a google image search on this course brings up a couple.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 12:07:22 PM »
As best as I can tell from doing a little Googling...

Barrancas refer to more steep and narrow slots that channel away seasonal water...aka what you find at Pasatiempo.

Arroyos are more akin to the flat shallow creek beds that easily flood over their banks during seasonal rains, more in line with a Rustic Canyon.

MClutterbuck

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 03:48:23 PM »
An "arroyo" is a stream and a "barranca" is a steep side hill or incline. Then you have bad translations and marketing guys using these names because they sound nice in certain locations.

The 13th at ANGC has an "arroyo" and the 6th has a pretty nice "barranca". 

Greg Gilson

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 04:05:47 PM »

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 04:21:16 PM »
Sleepy Hollow's remodeled par-5 12th hole has one, which was dry last week, meandering up the left, and then middle, of the hole:

"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 09:50:07 PM »

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:52:42 PM by Randy Thompson »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »
Arroyo Seco in Pasadena, CA has at least three golf courses in it—2 at Brookside and Arroyo Seco GC to the south.  Also JPL and the Rose Bowl.

Stewart Abramson

Ben Baldwin

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »
An "arroyo" is a stream and a "barranca" is a steep side hill or incline. Then you have bad translations and marketing guys using these names because they sound nice in certain locations.

Definition per Wiki: An arroyo (/əˈrɔɪoʊ/; Spanish: [aˈroʝo], "brook"), also called a wash, is a dry creek, stream bed or gulch that temporarily or seasonally fills and flows after sufficient rain

One of the best "true" Arroyo's incorporated into golf holes in a desert climate is the back nine at Sonoma Ranch in Las Cruces NM.

From the 10th green complex when the 10th hole drops down into the arroyo until you finish the 15th hole, you play holes that run back and forth through an arroyo that then takes strategic elements of the hole design and uses the smaller "created" arroyo's around the playing corridor as elements in the hole design/strategy.  There aren't good pictures online that really show this, and some of the elements of these holes have changed with houses being built around the holes, but this corridor of the course allows for "hallway" free golf due to being in the arroyo/flood plain.  Here is an aerial of the holes.

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 05:09:06 PM »

Whether it's Barranca or Arroyo the goat project at Pasatiempo to clear out the brush and growth in these areas is cool.  Here is a link to their website with photos of the goat work.

https://pasatiempomaintenance.wordpress.com/category/goats/

MClutterbuck

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »

Definition per Wiki: An arroyo (/əˈrɔɪoʊ/; Spanish: [aˈroʝo], "brook"), also called a wash, is a dry creek, stream bed or gulch that temporarily or seasonally fills and flows after sufficient rain

Wiki is replicating a wrong definition. It is a stream from any spanish language dictionary. In fact, it has to flow nearly continously for it to be an arroyo. But I know the term has been butchered in the US.
arroyo[/color][/size].[/color]
[/size](Del  arrugĭa, galería de mina y arroyo[/color][/size][/font][/size],  ).[/color]
[/size]
[/size]1. m. Caudal corto de agua, casi continuo.
[/size]2. m. Cauce por donde corre.

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 02:37:27 PM »
Here's a coyote in an arroyo at TPC Vegas:
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 04:18:52 PM »
They're all over Pinion Hills.

WW

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 02:18:16 PM »
Craig,
Give me a shout if you could.  I've got some I can share with you from LACC.

tommynacc@sbcglobal.net

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 03:27:19 PM »

Barrancas refer to more steep and narrow slots that channel away seasonal water...aka what you find at Pasatiempo.

Arroyos are more akin to the flat shallow creek beds that easily flood over their banks during seasonal rains, more in line with a Rustic Canyon.

Any guess on what you call the depressions at Shoreacres?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 03:29:19 PM »

Any guess on what you call the depressions at Shoreacres?

I'd call that a meandering creek that's carved out a low spot on the course.   ;D

Nice feature by the way...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back