News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Connolly

Stunning finishers in Chicago
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:03:17 PM »
Played Exmoor for the first time yesterday - 18's grandeur made my knees buckle. Pushed up green calling for your best approach shot in front of one of the most regal clubhouses I've seen. Simply stunning. Any other walk off experiences like this in Chicagoland?
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Sven Nilsen

Re: Stunning finishers in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 11:15:56 PM »
OFCC South, whose finish is exponentially better than the finish on the North Course.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Matthew Sander

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 11:28:15 AM »
That Exmoor finish is awfully impactful. It is a bit similar to the finish at Mid Pines.

I didn't see Exmoor prior to the tree removal, but I would imagine that the open vistas have improved that entire portion of the golf course.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 01:52:42 PM »
So the recipe for a "stunning" finisher is an 18th green that sits in front of the clubhouse? That's it?
H.P.S.

Matthew Sander

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2015, 01:59:44 PM »
So the recipe for a "stunning" finisher is an 18th green that sits in front of the clubhouse? That's it?

Pat, I think it is evident in John's initial post that he is referring to the visual impact of the 18th at Exmoor. I happen to agree with him. I find it a unique sight with the expansive clubhouse looming just a little up the rise from the green.

If the assertion were that this made the hole one of the best finishers you'll see, then I could see your criticism. However, visuals are subjective and this instance seems to really resonate with John.

Jason Way

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 02:23:59 PM »

The original post refers to the demand of the approach shot and the setting.  That's a little bit more than just the clubhouse.  I would also say that the drive on #18 at Exmoor is quite demanding, especially when the wind is blowing.  The green itself is no slouch, with plenty of that classic internal contour.  It is a great finisher, beginning to very end.

I will take the liberty of speaking for Dan Moore to say that the original finisher at Onwentsia (the current par-3 9th) is the greatest finisher in Chicagoland, with all apologies to Mr. Schmidt.  A simply awesome hole running up to that clubhouse with a view back out across the property behind.  It is magic.
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 02:34:56 PM »

Pat, I think it is evident in John's initial post that he is referring to the visual impact of the 18th at Exmoor. I happen to agree with him. I find it a unique sight with the expansive clubhouse looming just a little up the rise from the green.

If the assertion were that this made the hole one of the best finishers you'll see, then I could see your criticism. However, visuals are subjective and this instance seems to really resonate with John.

In that case I submit the 18th holes at Harborside for your consideration....both are simply stunning with Lake Calumet running down the length of the hole on one side and the majestic prairie style clubhouse perched high on a bluff on the other. :)
H.P.S.

John Connolly

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 07:02:03 PM »
PCraig,

There are no prerequisites for what makes a finisher stunning. Could be the fairway bunkering, natural hazards, shape of the hole or the putting surface - or all of the above.

Many elements converge as you walk up 18 at Exmoor. A shining example of the sum being greater than the sum of its parts.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 10:40:58 PM »
You're right Dave, nothing stunning about this finish.

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Brian Hilko

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 02:54:02 AM »

The original post refers to the demand of the approach shot and the setting.  That's a little bit more than just the clubhouse.  I would also say that the drive on #18 at Exmoor is quite demanding, especially when the wind is blowing.  The green itself is no slouch, with plenty of that classic internal contour.  It is a great finisher, beginning to very end.

I will take the liberty of speaking for Dan Moore to say that the original finisher at Onwentsia (the current par-3 9th) is the greatest finisher in Chicagoland, with all apologies to Mr. Schmidt.  A simply awesome hole running up to that clubhouse with a view back out across the property behind.  It is magic.

I agree with Dan Moore and the current finisher is a strong hole in its own right also.

My personal tastes have always leaned towards a par 5 with lots of options as a fun way to finish a round. I really enjoy playing 18 at bev, 18 at flossmoor, and my sleepers are 18 at prarie landing and number 9 at downers grove. Downers is a bit of a stretch but i hit it that perfect distance that a well struck drive crests the hill and i have an iron but a bad tee shot leads to a blind approach or layup.
Down with the brown

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 10:19:53 AM »
You've seen this exact view "all day long?" 

I think you're letting you're homerism get the better of you. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:29:17 AM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 08:05:48 PM »
Glad you're willing to lay down the law on what is purely a subjective response. 

I find the OFCC South finish to be more stunning than all of the other courses you mentioned.  There are few better moments in Chicago golf than the culmination a round late on a summer afternoon in the shadow of the world's biggest clubhouse.  I really don't care if you can see the clock tower from the main gate, the parking lot or the entire course, its majesty strikes you the most when its framed between the majestic lines of trees framing your uphill approach, whether you're playing there in two from short of the creek or you've laid up to the base of the hill before the green.  The fact that the 73rd Hole beckons mere steps away adds to the allure.

Its been a tough couple of weeks for the purple crowd,  we'll give you a pass until you collect your senses.

Ryan Kelly

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 10:12:36 PM »
Sven, I agree with you.  Is it the "most" stunning - not sure, but it is a stunning finish.  Can't tell you how many guests I have had that stop and ask to take a picture at the exact spot Sven's picture is from.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 10:24:56 PM »
Glad you're willing to lay down the law on what is purely a subjective response. 

I find the OFCC South finish to be more stunning than all of the other courses you mentioned.  There are few better moments in Chicago golf than the culmination a round late on a summer afternoon in the shadow of the world's biggest clubhouse.  I really don't care if you can see the clock tower from the main gate, the parking lot or the entire course, its majesty strikes you the most when its framed between the majestic lines of trees framing your uphill approach, whether you're playing there in two from short of the creek or you've laid up to the base of the hill before the green.  The fact that the 73rd Hole beckons mere steps away adds to the allure.

Its been a tough couple of weeks for the purple crowd,  we'll give you a pass until you collect your senses.
You need to face the reality that your views are wrong.  Nobody finds that finish stunning.  Why you do is beyond not only me but anybody else reading this.  That's why nobody has agreed with you.  I know what Mucci would tell you for your continued insistence that something that is frankly rather pedestrian is actually stunning:  "you're a moron".

The thread asked for examples, I gave one.

OFCC South's 18th is more stunning than those at Beverly, Glen View and Bob O'.  Those were your examples.

I'm fine if I'm the only one that thinks so.  But thanks for trying to tell me that my opinions are wrong.  I learned a very long time ago not to cowtow to prigs, blowhards and bullies.

Sven

PS - Just saw Ryan's words before I hit post.  Guess I'm not the only one.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 10:05:56 AM »

Keep on acting like the step-child of North Shore golf that you are.  I'll take that iconic clock tower over your whitewashed greek revival as an image of Chicagoland golf any day of the week.

Sven

John Connolly

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »

Keep on acting like the step-child of North Shore golf that you are.  I'll take that iconic clock tower over your whitewashed greek revival as an image of Chicagoland golf any day of the week.

Sven

Your ad hominems reveal the real child, step or otherwise.

Dave:

You got caught up in your own pig-headed hyperbole.  Own up to it.

"You need to face the reality that your views are wrong.  Nobody finds that finish stunning.  Why you do is beyond not only me but anybody else reading this.  That's why nobody has agreed with you.  I know what Mucci would tell you for your continued insistence that something that is frankly rather pedestrian is actually stunning:  "you're a moron".

"Can't tell you how many guests I have had that stop and ask to take a picture at the exact spot Sven's picture is from."

J_ Crisham

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 12:04:58 PM »
I like the 18th at Skokie - pretty view up at the elevated green. Great history as well with sarazen's victory here on this hole .

Jason Way

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 12:54:05 PM »
I like the 18th at Skokie - pretty view up at the elevated green. Great history as well with sarazen's victory here on this hole .

As much as I am enjoying the pissing contest, I am happy to see this one added to the list, and totally agree.

Last time I was there, had to bust two really solid shots up that hill into the wind, only to watch my second barely miss cresting the false front and then painfully trickle back down.  Combine the difficulty of the hole, with the view, and drench it in history, and that meets my criteria for stunning (more so than any clubhouse).
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

John Connolly

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »
Skokie has a very good finisher, I agree.

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Josh Tarble

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 01:45:12 PM »
Of the several courses in Chicago I've played, I don't think I'd call any of them "stunning" Of what I've played (Beverly, Butler, Merit Club, Medinah) I think I'd rank them Butler, Beverly, Medinah, Merit and they're all good to excellent golf holes, but not really stunning.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
18 at Skokie is so stunning it didn't even get a mention in Ran's review. 
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Andrew Buck

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »
Does anyone ever really tee off from the 17th green on 18 at Glenview Club?  I know they have a CDGA plate on the surface, and it would be a very strong finisher from there, as opposed to the drive and pitch from the normal tees, but it just seems odd play from the surface. 

I'm curious why the didn't build a run-off tee instead. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:31:28 PM by Andrew Buck »

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 04:24:52 PM »
Does anyone ever really tee off from the 17th green on 18 at Glenview Club?  I know they have a CDGA plate on the surface, and it would be a very strong finisher from their, as opposed to the drive and pitch from the normal tees, but it just seems odd play from the surface. 

Yes, I have quite a bit with my buddies who are members. Although I think the more interesting angle is from the other side of the 17th green.
H.P.S.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 05:02:31 PM »
Does anyone ever really tee off from the 17th green on 18 at Glenview Club?  I know they have a CDGA plate on the surface, and it would be a very strong finisher from there, as opposed to the drive and pitch from the normal tees, but it just seems odd play from the surface. 

I'm curious why the didn't build a run-off tee instead.

Yes, indeed.
The "Mach" tee is, in fact, today on the 17th green. Prior to the Jim Urbina restoration, all of the greens at GVC had aprons. The greens were expanded and the aprons removed in 2014. For the 18th hole, from the Mach tee, the player would have hit off the 17th apron prior to May of 2014.

Now there is green there and, yes, it is a bit awkward.
I would imagine that there will soon be a remedy for that and Pat's instinct is a good one...;-)

It's a very good hole that has the potential to be one of the best closers in the district.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back