News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hellrung

Half-way House/19th hole offerings.
« on: October 07, 2015, 02:07:55 PM »
Slightly off topic, so apologies if I am out of bounds with this post. 

I was reading today how the President's Cup dinner last night featured a Korean BBQ.  Some players loved it, others hated it.  This got me thinking - which courses offer regional or unique items at the halfway house or clubhouse grill, and who does it best? 

The only one that came to mind for me was Augusta with its pimento cheese sandwiches, but that isn't really a regional item, and is more known as part of the Masters fare.  For resort courses, it would seem to make a lot of sense to add to the overall experience by adding some local flavor to the menu.  Kohler is a good example (I talk a lot about Kohler because I haven't played many other resorts or famous courses) - they have world class items at the resort that would translate to the golf course, but they don't offer them at the courses.  I'm thinking specifically of the beer-cheese soup and spiced popcorn I had while there.

Why don't more clubs offer more than the standard hot-dog and chips at the turn? 

Jay Mickle

Re: Half-way House/19th hole offerings.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 03:59:18 PM »
My home clubs, Mid Pines and Pine Needles have fine food in their bar/restaurants but also don't have anything at the halfway house other than bland. Maybe in winter Mid Pines will have fantastic New England clam chowder.
Tobacco Road on the other hand has great pulled pork that I look forward to. Tot Hill Farm has great chicken salad.
Of course the entire concept of needing sustenance at the halfway point is only necessitated by the fact that rounds often take way too long. Better to play in 3 hours and retire to the bar.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 04:02:05 PM »
Funny, I am playing Mid-South and TR in two weeks.  I'll have to remember the pulled pork recommendation. 

My home clubs, Mid Pines and Pine Needles have fine food in their bar/restaurants but also don't have anything at the halfway house other than bland. Maybe in winter Mid Pines will have fantastic New England clam chowder.
Tobacco Road on the other hand has great pulled pork that I look forward to. Tot Hill Farm has great chicken salad.
Of course the entire concept of needing sustenance at the halfway point is only necessitated by the fact that rounds often take way too long. Better to play in 3 hours and retire to the bar.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 04:14:29 PM »
Cassique and the River Club on Kiawah Island both have a shed after the 16th hole where they prepare different types of sliders as well as fruit drinks and exotic cocktails so you can grab something to eat and if you're playing well you probably will grab a fruit drink but if it isn't going so well you might grab a cocktail to deal with your sorrow.

Sam Krume

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 05:07:30 AM »
The sausage sandwich from the half way hut at Sunningdale has become an institution in it's own rite I believe, and quite right too as it is a thing of wonder!!

Greg Gilson

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 05:14:51 AM »
Where Are Greg T &  Michael W-P to tell us what  Cabo & Diamante throw at you after 6 & 12...no "half way" houses in Mexico.....they are 1/3 & 2/3 "comfort stations" *

*Same at 9 Bridges in South Korea.

jeffwarne

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 06:46:07 AM »
Augusta CC.
1/2 way house at
7th and 14th
Have one on the run both stops.
Best hot/chili dog anywhere that I've come across.
Hasn't changed a bit in my 42 years of playing there.
Used to cut School to eat lunch there.(that is on the days I wasn't cutting to play golf)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:49:47 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Gene Greco

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 07:19:42 AM »
FRESH LOBSTER roll at the turn at Southampton Golf Club.
Everything thing else plays for second place..
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Daniel Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 07:40:56 AM »
Kohler is a good example (I talk a lot about Kohler because I haven't played many other resorts or famous courses) - they have world class items at the resort that would translate to the golf course, but they don't offer them at the courses.  I'm thinking specifically of the beer-cheese soup and spiced popcorn I had while there.

I don't know about you, but the bratwurst I had at the Straits halfway house pretty much changed my life. We talk about those brats almost as much as everything else on the trip.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »
Fish Chowder at Caledonia.

Cheese steaks at Merion and Aronimink.  Also snapper soup anywhere out there.

The Burger on Ben's Porch, and really anything else on the menu at Sand Hills.  It doesn't get much more regional than when the cow was a few miles away!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:53:59 AM by Matt Bielawa »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 08:28:48 AM »
Burger dogs at Olympic are second to none.

Halfway house at Sagebrush is also right up there. Food great and setting is the best.
Mr Hurricane

Keith Phillips

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:21 AM »
Fish tacos at the turn at Cabo del Sol

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 09:43:31 AM »
Now that a Chinese-backed company has bought a quarter of the golf courses in Myrtle Beach, it'll be a damn shame if they don't start serving amazing dumplings and/or spareribs (and, in winter, wonton or hot-and-sour soup) at the turn at some of those courses, or at least open a competent sit-down Chinese restaurant in one or two of the clubhouses. Is that so much to ask for?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 10:02:55 AM »
Had a great lunch at NGLA, then they brought the club sandwich and the mac and cheese. The lobster app was a meal in itself. Had difficulty getting my fat ass out to play another 18.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

john_stiles

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 10:05:57 AM »
Half-way house ?

I am more of a cracker and soda/water and go to the 10th.

At most the Chicago style (and elsewhere I am sure),  a peanut butter bowl and some ritz crackers.

Chechessee usually has the peanut butter/ritz  covered which is nice before the first beer with the left hand.

It also goes well with the first beer with the right hand.

Kinda like Jay, i want to play in closer to 3 than 4.

19th hole after golf -  too many good ones to mention

After a cold winter's round, I do like a nice bowl of chili

Jud_T

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 10:14:12 AM »
Diamante easily had the best offerings throughout the course I've ever experienced- freshly made tacos, salsas, assorted other original Mexican munchies as well as a fabulous fresh tequila cocktail on 17.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 10:20:02 AM »
Interesting article on halfway houses from 1013 in the Met Golfer.

http://www.metgolferdigital.com/i/209685-nov-dec-2013-jan-2014/56

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:39:01 AM by Lou Cutolo »

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 10:24:36 AM »
B- I wonder if any of the Rochester courses serve white-hots.  I'm almost certain they do at centerpoint, and CCR, but not totally sure.

The Burger on Ben's Porch, and really anything else on the menu at Sand Hills.  It doesn't get much more regional than when the cow was a few miles away!

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »
Interesting.  I recall my brat was a little dried out,  but I did like the home made granola bar.

Kohler is a good example (I talk a lot about Kohler because I haven't played many other resorts or famous courses) - they have world class items at the resort that would translate to the golf course, but they don't offer them at the courses.  I'm thinking specifically of the beer-cheese soup and spiced popcorn I had while there.

I don't know about you, but the bratwurst I had at the Straits halfway house pretty much changed my life. We talk about those brats almost as much as everything else on the trip.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »
B- I wonder if any of the Rochester courses serve white-hots.  I'm almost certain they do at centerpoint, and CCR, but not totally sure.

Yes, I'm sure they do.  I had some at Oak Hill during an event there.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »
FRESH LOBSTER roll at the turn at Southampton Golf Club.
Everything thing else plays for second place..

Oh, yeah? 

My club serves ice cold Schlitz.  Take that!

Saw that when we put a beat down on you guys on September 20th. Our best 6 against yours. I think the score was 4-1-1....;-)

In your defense, Kyle Nathan was not there. He and Blake Johnson made a nice run at the Mid-Am this year.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2015, 10:09:21 AM »
We have Blue Stripes, which are Natural Lights in a bottle similar to Red Stripe.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2015, 10:19:13 AM »
Walton, a rather humble municipal course in Warrington, crosses a public road twice in the round. Some enterprising local parks a caravan by the gates and serves bacon butties, sausage butties etc and a warming cup of tea. Just the thing on a winter morning when play may take 5 or more hours for a round.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2015, 10:22:30 AM »
Malone (New York) Golf Club sells Glazier hot dogs in their halfway houses, a North Country favorite. They're actually pretty tasty, although the color can spook some:

Also popular in the MGC halfway houses were Michigan hot dogs, a steamed hot dog on a bun topped with "Michigan sauce" (meat sauce).

And for whatever reason, the members loved egg salad sandwiches at the turn. I must admit, I never understood that one.

Josh Tarble

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2015, 10:44:07 AM »
My home club serves 6 Keystone Lights for 10 bucks.

After having an order of 6 stones, anything tastes like a lobster roll.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back