News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Brown

What is the definition of a golf snob?
« on: September 27, 2015, 07:21:38 PM »
i feel like I have finally paid my dues at GCA because Pat Mucci called me a moron in one his posts yesterday and   in doing so, he also raised an interesting point I thought would make for a good discussion topic:  what is the definition of a golf snob?

I am sure this has been debated at some point before, but it's worth revisiting in my mind to the extent that golf might be at a transitional point In terms of the implications of class and economic distinctions governing its future development, i.e that all the best new courses are very high-end or private (perhaps they always have been, but that is a separate topic)

First, I'll offer up Jerry Tarde's thought provoking statement:[size=78%]  "[/size][/size]We're all a little guilty. If you'd rather be at Pebble Beach than Dyker Beach, if you'd rather play with friends than strangers, you've got the makings of a Golf Snob."[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size]Here my simple definition of a golf snob:  Someone who cares a great deal more about where they play and with whom than how they play.  [/color]

[/size]Anyone agree?[/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]

Tim_Weiman

Re: What is the definition of a golf snob?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:24:54 PM »
i feel like I have finally paid my dues at GCA because Pat Mucci called me a moron in one his posts yesterday and   in doing so, he also raised an interesting point I thought would make for a good discussion topic:  what is the definition of a golf snob?

I am sure this has been debated at some point before, but it's worth revisiting in my mind to the extent that golf might be at a transitional point In terms of the implications of class and economic distinctions governing its future development, i.e that all the best new courses are very high-end or private (perhaps they always have been, but that is a separate topic)

First, I'll offer up Jerry Tarde's thought provoking statement:[size=78%]  "[/size]We're all a little guilty. If you'd rather be at Pebble Beach than Dyker Beach, if you'd rather play with friends than strangers, you've got the makings of a Golf Snob."

Here my simple definition of a golf snob:  Someone who cares a great deal more about where they play and with whom than how they play. 

Anyone agree?

James,

The most enjoyable golf I have played is with friends at Ballybunion. If that means being a golf snob, I plead guilty.

One thing I have learned from the Irish: they do social golf better than anyone. It is a great pleasure. I could care less if that makes me a snob. I consider it just enjoying the finer things in life.

Tim Weiman

Josh Stevens

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 08:42:58 PM »
Do you get a badge for being called a moron by Pat?  I think its something to be proud of as it suggests you made a valid point that he could not counter and so descended in name calling.  Well done you.

I think snobbery is too broad a term for some of the crap we see on this site.

If you are a snob because you have real expertise and accomplishment, then that's annoying but perhaps justified if you don't make it too sanctimonious.

On the other hand if you behave like a snob because you  just read a book and then shout at anyone who disagrees with your - then that's just Donald Trump.

James Brown

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 08:52:15 PM »
Do you get a badge for being called a moron by Pat?  I think its something to be proud of as it suggests you made a valid point that he could not counter and so descended in name calling.  Well done you.

I think snobbery is too broad a term for some of the crap we see on this site.

If you are a snob because you have real expertise and accomplishment, then that's annoying but perhaps justified if you don't make it too sanctimonious.

On the other hand if you behave like a snob because you  just read a book and then shout at anyone who disagrees with your - then that's just Donald Trump.

Maybe snob is not quite the right term?

Josh Stevens

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »
I don't want to get moderated

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 02:43:17 AM »
arrogant know it all
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jim Hoak

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 04:43:16 PM »
Some Irish say there are 3 joys in golf--How you play, where you play and with whom you play.  And the first two are overrated.  I don't think that wanting to play with good, old-time friends makes you a golf snob.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 05:11:26 PM »
To me a golf snob is not defined by the fact that someone would rather play Pebble Beach than Dyker Beach.  Is there anyone who would rather play Dyker with people they don't know than Pebble with the best friends.  People play Dyker over Pebble because of money. 

To me a golf snob is someone who would never be seen at Dyker Beach and does not want to associate with an individual purely because that individual plays Dyker Beach instead of Pebble Beach.  Further the real snob can't understand why someone would play Dyker Beach instead of Pebble Beach.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 05:37:21 PM »
The older I get, and the more of life I go thru (and I've gone thru a LOT in the last 4 years!) the more important WHO becomes and the less important WHERE becomes. 

I am rather confident that I am less of a golf snob than I used to be for that, btw.  I'm sure Mr. Tarde has reasons for including the who part, but they escape me.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 05:52:01 PM »
I can see how the WHO part could be construed as snobby......especially if it involves someone who thinks, "I'm not going to play today because my friends aren't available"

Or we've all probably played with the wannabe pro guy (who is likely an 8, but thinks they're a scratch) who scoffs the duffer in the group....

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »
I might suggest that how you play should be the least important factor..If you are self obsessed with your own game perhaps that is what makes you a golf snob.  If you place such importance on results you are ignoring the beauty of the game - environment  and friends. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 06:18:04 PM »
I might suggest that how you play should be the least important factor..If you are self obsessed with your own game perhaps that is what makes you a golf snob.  If you place such importance on results you are ignoring the beauty of the game - environment  and friends.

Cliff,

I initially thought that too, but then considered that "how you play" could also include good golf course etiquette.  And nothing pisses off golfers more than yahoos on golf courses who don't have at least halfway decent golf course manners.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 06:23:12 PM »
Don't know THE definition, but I'll plead guilty. Thanks, James, I feel better already.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 06:59:35 PM »
This could be like a Jeff Foxworthy exercise.
If you know the word sward......you might be a golf snob.

If someone tells you they just played Shinnecock and your first question is whether it was firm and fast......you might be a golf snob.

If you get mad at people who like green grass......you might be a golf snob.

If a friend asks you to golf and you ask "where" ......you might be a golf snob.

If you have ever explained the playing characteristics of the redan to a guy in the local pub whose eyes were glazing over......you might be a golf snob.

If you post on GCA......... ;D

Phil Young

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 07:16:57 PM »
James,

I think that's easy. A golf snob may be defined as someone who calls another golf snob a "Moron."  :)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 07:37:48 PM »
James,

I think that's easy. A golf snob may be defined as someone who calls another golf snob a "Moron."  :)

Winner,winner, chicken dinner.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 09:05:41 PM »
People give Patrick a hard time and call him a snob for using the term "moron" (though usually he qualifies it, as in "IF you said X you'd be a moron"). But to me, that is a sign that he actually respects other posters, i.e. respects them enough to take the time to debate and/or disagree vehemently with a given point of view, even if he thinks it moronic. The alternative -- and be honest now, because I think most of us here have experienced this/been there at one time or another -- is to read a poster/post and to think him and his opinions of so little worth, of such minimal interest, and of such banality as to be beneath contempt, certainly not worth responding to let alone debating. And if you've thought and felt that, you are indeed a golf snob, and perhaps of the worst kind, i.e. unlike Terry's open and gleeful embracing of the moniker, your/my snobbery is kept hidden and secret, probably so that we won't get the wrong person mad at us and lose the chance to play the right kind of course.
Peter
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 09:07:14 PM by PPallotta »

James Brown

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 09:10:38 PM »
Great discussion.  My point wasn't really that it's about how WELL one plays, but that the point of golf is first to play the game and that that can happen anywhere with golf holes and decent enough conditions.  I don't grade golfer by score, more like by how much they care about the playing of the game.    I also didn't mean to imply companionship is unimportant, however I do find it snobby that some people detest playing with strangers.  If someone enjoys golf they are my friend.  I play every other round as a walk on at a public course and some of my favorite rounds have been with four single walkers getting hooked up together.  Having said that, Agatha McNaughton said it best in Golf in the Kingdom.

BCowan

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »
Someone who thinks that trolleys belong only on muni's...  shit I might have friends who are snobs

Mike_Young

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 09:24:01 PM »
Most golf snobs I have met have been either writers or raters for magazines or dudes that volunteer to work rules or rate golf courses for State golf associations.   BY NO MEANS IS THAT EVEN NEAR THE MAJORITY OF THESE MENTIONED GROUPS.  BUT within those groups are where I find most... :)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

James Brown

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 09:26:31 PM »
To me a golf snob is not defined by the fact that someone would rather play Pebble Beach than Dyker Beach.  Is there anyone who would rather play Dyker with people they don't know than Pebble with the best friends.  People play Dyker over Pebble because of money. 

To me a golf snob is someone who would never be seen at Dyker Beach and does not want to associate with an individual purely because that individual plays Dyker Beach instead of Pebble Beach.  Further the real snob can't understand why someone would play Dyker Beach instead of Pebble Beach.

The other part of this is the local part.  You can't play Pebble or any other place regularly unless you live next door.  One day a couple of years ago teeing off late it occurred to me that the game evolved in Scotland at least in part because the long summer nights allowed you to play after work.  To me that's golf.  Something you can do within the bounds of a normal life.  So for me a golf snob is the opposite of someone who plays for the love of the game itself. 

BHoover

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 09:29:45 PM »
This could be like a Jeff Foxworthy exercise.
If you know the word sward......you might be a golf snob.

If someone tells you they just played Shinnecock and your first question is whether it was firm and fast......you might be a golf snob.

If you get mad at people who like green grass......you might be a golf snob.

If a friend asks you to golf and you ask "where" ......you might be a golf snob.

If you have ever explained the playing characteristics of the redan to a guy in the local pub whose eyes were glazing over......you might be a golf snob.

If you post on GCA......... ;D

I make no apology for my love of the word "sward"...no apology!

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2015, 05:34:09 AM »
I want to play courses I enjoy

I will go out of my way to make sure I play courses I enjoy

I avoid playing courses I don't care for

I like courses in firm conditions...given the weather circumstances

I like to play with people who enjoy playing good courses

It seems harsh to be called a snob for choosing to spend my time as I wish.  I don't much see the point of playing courses which don't interest me.  Sure, there are always exceptions for good friends and family, but I don't know many people who don't want to maximize their time by playing courses they enjoy.

To me a snob is a snob...you know one when you see one and golf has nothing to do with it...snobiness permeates into all aspects of their life  :D  My idea of a snob is a guy who feels superior to others for whatever reasons.  One way for me to detect a snob is when he name drop to impress.  Truly elite people (and I use the term with respect) would never do such a thing regardless of their position.  They feel no need to impress people in a casual setting such as golf.  They would save ammo for when it matters (chicks, money and influence  :) ) and do it in a far more subtle manner than name dropping. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2015, 06:04:50 AM »

One day a couple of years ago teeing off late it occurred to me that the game evolved in Scotland at least in part because the long summer nights allowed you to play after work.

Not really, or not originally at least. Early golf was a winter game, because only during winter was the grass on the links short enough to play golf (until the invention of the cylinder mower by Edwin Budding in 1830).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

archie_struthers

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2015, 07:32:12 AM »
 8) :)

Golf  snobbery is when your playing companions net worth is more important to you than their net score. Players who put the former ahead of the latter fit the bill for me.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 08:02:06 AM by archie_struthers »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back