News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Re: What rhymes with East Lake?
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 04:03:17 PM »
The 6th hole is 225 to an island green. "For goodness sake"

That shot is "Just an Eight" and a 'Piece of Cake" for those with the "Rich Estates" and "Pretty Blonde Mates", and, given the millions they already make, there's "Nothing Much at Stake". 

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 04:08:47 PM »
Speith charging on the weekend.  "Can't wait"

jim_lewis

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »
I have to believe that those who don't like East Lake probably haven't played it. Ok, so it not pure Ross. So what? There aren't many of those. It is still an excellent course, and  it is hard to beat the overall experience.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 04:21:05 PM »
I have to believe that those who don't like East Lake probably haven't played it. Ok, so it not pure Ross. So what? There aren't many of those. It is still an excellent course, and  it is hard to beat the overall experience.

Totally agree with this, and with the opinion of those who are drawing their opinions from TV, because I was the same way.  I never understood all of the fuss until I saw it in person.  It really surprised me, in a good way.  Outside of the 11th, which is think is extremely blah, the rest of the course is really quite good. 

MCirba

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »
Phil Young has provided me with information regarding involvement by Donald Ross in 1913 that resulted in a new routing of the golf course at that time.

So, for me, Big Mistake.   ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2015, 05:02:12 PM »
Just Contemplate
With those dollars to be raked
how much Cheddar they'll make
when they claim their place
at that grand estate
called East lake.

It'd be a mistake
to not make haste
and miss the race
when they eviscerate
and consecrate
the cash at stake
at East Lake...

jim_lewis

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »
Oops!  I must have logged into a poetry discussion group by mistake.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2015, 05:14:57 PM »
Jim,

The only mistake was Kalen's.  I'm really happy to hear that you enjoy the course.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2015, 05:31:20 PM »
I made it pretty clear that my opinion on that course was only what I saw on TV as I've never been there in person, and have no plans to in the future.

I will predict its far better than my home course....

Bart Bradley

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
East Lake would have been the best course I ever played until 10 years ago.  GCAers get to play so many cool places that we forget what an average course is.  East Lake is excellent.  It is a fairly easy walk, has good green contours, and  has generally fairly wide corridors.  It has a few trees that should be removed but for the need to challenge the pros.  If you play there, I feel sure you would have a good time and come away appreciating the course a whole lot more than you did if you only saw it on TV.

Bart

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2015, 06:21:58 PM »
Bart,

Would you say the same about Firestone?

Bart Bradley

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2015, 06:42:41 PM »
Bart,

Would you say the same about Firestone?

John. I might, but I havent played there. 

Bart

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2015, 06:45:27 PM »
I can not recall a course that didn't look better in person than it did on TV.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2015, 06:59:14 PM »

I can...Torrey Pines for one.  Looks glorious on TV, in person, not as impressive, and yes I have seen it in person

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2015, 07:04:56 PM »

I can...Torrey Pines for one.  Looks glorious on TV, in person, not as impressive, and yes I have seen it in person

I'm sure you recall how much I love Torrey Pines.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
I have to believe that those who don't like East Lake probably haven't played it.

I guess you'd have to define what you mean by "don't like" the course.

I gave it a 6 on the Doak scale; it's a fine course, but I didn't really feel that it was special.  And yes I have played it ... once only.

paul cowley

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2015, 08:12:14 AM »
Tom - my feelings exactly...I enjoyed the round but no stand out architecture to stir a mental mood swing. I only remember 2 holes clearly...18 and the practice range (which shouldn't count as a hole, but it was more memorable so I'm going with it)...a 6 is good.

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

jim_lewis

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »
I have no major problem with giving the course a 6, although I would rate it slightly higher.

I have always made a point of ignoring extraneous factors when rating courses. I find that almost impossible to do at East Lake. For starters, Bobby Jones is my all time hero. Playing  the course with a member accompanied by one of the young caddies from the neighborhood, followed by lunch in the clubhouse and a visit through all the Bobby Jones memorabilia is one of the best overall experiences you can have in golf. It's pretty hard not to let that experience influence your opinion of the course.

I am probably too sensitive, but this thread seemed to be making fun of a place that I think is about as close to hallowed ground as there is in golf.

There have been many threads about East Lake on GCA over the years and there have been many comments that seem to question the quality of the course. The many changes to the Ross original are often cited. I think it is important to judge a course as it sits today, not how it might have been in the past. Also, I prefer to see the course from the member tees.  If you catch the telecast today, notice the difference between the tournament tee and member tees on #6 and #17 for example.  I only respect the opinions of those who have played the course.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Brian Finn

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2015, 05:02:08 PM »
I've been watching the leaders today, so have seen every hole, and East Lake looks fabulous. There appears to be a nice variety, in terms of the length of holes, shots required, etc.  The course looks very attractive on TV also (not that were supposed to care about that  ;) ).  It beats the hell out of all but 2 or 3 courses played on tour (a low bar, I know).  I'd jump on a chance to play East Lake.
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Terry Lavin

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »
Several Doak points higher than its FedEx predecessor, just based on TV.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:19:41 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kalen Braley

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2015, 01:44:11 PM »
Here is the description of a Doak 6:

6. A very good course, definitely worth a game if you’re in  town, but not necessarily worth a special trip to see. It shouldn’t disappoint  you.

That's pretty much how I see it.  Try to play it if in the area, but not worth going out of the way for....sounds exactly right based on what I can make of it...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2015, 01:49:14 PM »
I've been watching the leaders today, so have seen every hole, and East Lake looks fabulous. There appears to be a nice variety, in terms of the length of holes, shots required, etc.  The course looks very attractive on TV also (not that were supposed to care about that  ;) ).  It beats the hell out of all but 2 or 3 courses played on tour (a low bar, I know).  I'd jump on a chance to play East Lake.

Brian,

Interesting comment.  I can think of one PGA tourney where all 3 courses beat it hands down....the Pebble Beach National.  (Spyglass, MPCC Shore, and Pebble)

So I guess every other tour stop must be chopped liver....  ;)

Josh Tarble

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2015, 02:20:22 PM »
I once heard someone describe East Lake as vanilla ice cream, but the best vanilla ice cream they've ever had.  I think that's a pretty good descriptor of the place.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back