News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Final Details
« Reply #225 on: August 23, 2016, 12:17:59 PM »
you may need to have an alternative topic of conversation other than golf...  8)
Err... Cricket?  Football?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #226 on: August 23, 2016, 12:30:07 PM »
So sorry to learn that Ben will not be attending. I was hoping to give him a rematch from our singles at Notts.  :'(

We will miss you, Ben. Take care and heal quickly!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #227 on: August 23, 2016, 02:20:08 PM »
Did it really need SIX threads to organise a weekend jolly?

Have fun though...

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #228 on: August 24, 2016, 11:58:57 AM »

Have fun though...

F.

I think they were trying to test our commitment and willingness to pay attention.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #229 on: August 24, 2016, 01:31:24 PM »

Have fun though...

F.

I think they were trying to test our commitment and willingness to pay attention.

This is exactly why it would make sense to have several sub boards here.
Works perfectly well on other golf architecture web discussion groups  ;)

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #230 on: August 24, 2016, 02:53:28 PM »
Six threads are just our way of rubbing it in to those who aren't going to be there.  It's a toss up whether smugness or envy is the least attractive human quality.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #231 on: August 24, 2016, 08:21:20 PM »
I vote for smugness because if you are clever enough envy shouldn't be in your portfolio
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Steve Wilson

« Reply #232 on: August 24, 2016, 11:38:20 PM »
Curiously Ward,
 It's been my observation that the most envious are those who deem themselves clever and don't think they are being compensated in a commensurate fashion.  You observation about the truly clever rings true though.  Envy is a very corrosive emotion, and I wasn't accusing anyone of it, but snarking on FBD comment on the proliferation of BUDA threads.

Sorry you're not going to be along on this one, and I'll check the length of the flagsticks on the putting green to see if they measure down to Royal Hague.   

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2016, 04:10:06 AM »
Sorry for the withdrawal of David Nelson, but happy to add golf journalist and confirmed Carne fan, Kevin Markham along for the weekend and Doak associate Clyde Johnson for Monday pm at Enniscrone.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2016, 10:02:15 AM »
Ally and I are sharing the skippering role for the home team.

Who is the captain of Team North America??
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2016, 10:56:54 AM »
I am the skipper for the home team as Ally is happy to play second fiddle.

Who is the captain of Team North America??

I edited the first sentence for you, Robin.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #236 on: August 26, 2016, 11:08:04 AM »
Chicken!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #237 on: August 26, 2016, 06:48:33 PM »
I don't know if he will accept but I would nominate Michael Whitaker for NA Captain!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #238 on: August 26, 2016, 08:19:50 PM »
Thanks, but I was captain a few years back... in a losing effort.  :'( 

I think it is time for Bryan Izatt to take the reins. I'm confident a Canadian can lead us to victory... and, we won't have to listen to as many Trump jokes!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #239 on: August 26, 2016, 09:17:51 PM »
Sounds reasonable to me although my brother lives in Toronto and I was there a few weeks ago and all I heard was how good Canada is and how bad our presidential candidates are.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #240 on: August 27, 2016, 12:08:41 AM »
Sounds reasonable to me although my brother lives in Toronto and I was there a few weeks ago and all I heard was how good Canada is and how bad our presidential candidates are.
Yeah, many think their country is better, but they all dream of living here once they've experienced the USA. Offered a real chance to be American very few would turn it down.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #241 on: August 27, 2016, 12:45:10 AM »
Bryan is a superb choice.

As for the teams, I think that England vs. the Colonies would be ideal.  That way, my Josie can play for the Colonies as can Thomas Dai and son, Niall Carlton, Tony Muldoon, Ally McIntosh etc. if they so wish.  Ulrich can join either team, depending on his position on Brexit.

Rich

PS--what's the format for Mulrannay!  Can we cheat?

r
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #242 on: August 27, 2016, 03:12:51 AM »
Mike,

We won't make Trump jokes.  The prospect of him as POTUS is far too frightening for that.  We will, however, take great delight in a bunch of Americans choosing to be led by a Canadian.

Rich, in light of the fact that their is a Presidential election this year, I think it should be compulsory to cheat at Mulranny.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #243 on: August 27, 2016, 04:38:01 AM »
My position on the Brexit? Undecided!

I will, however, say this: the main protagonists on the Brexit campaign are a bunch of quitters. As an Englishman - no matter what my position on the Brexit were - I would be so ashamed of those cowards. First they sound off like they were the saviors of the country and once they're called upon to actually save it, they just whimper and go home. Way to create a mess and leave the clean-up to others.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #244 on: August 27, 2016, 04:51:26 AM »
Great so we've rubbished American and British Politicians. Who's next?

Rich instead of Colonials, why dont we have an Exbrit team?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #245 on: August 27, 2016, 05:35:53 AM »
Ulrich,

I wish there was a like button here.  By the way, you probably won't have seen, but the cowardly, dishonest, arrogant, xenophobic, self-interested and offensive quitter in chief, Mr Farage, turned up this week as a speaker at a Trump rally.  Strikes me that those two are perfect bedfellows.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #246 on: August 27, 2016, 06:08:42 AM »
Whoa - calm down now - I regret that I may have started something which I had no intention of doing so can we please try and limit our conversations to golf and Irish whiskey.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #247 on: August 27, 2016, 03:18:57 PM »
Anyone heard from Bryan yet?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #248 on: August 27, 2016, 05:50:27 PM »

He's busy building the wall to keep Americans out in case Trump is elected.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bryan Izatt

« Reply #249 on: August 27, 2016, 11:06:18 PM »

He's been busy trying to get organized to come.  And, enjoying the latest political banter here.  Sounds like lots of fodder for after golf discussion.   :)

As to captaincy of the of the non-home team, how could I turn down the awesome responsibility of this most hono(u)rable position. Does it come with a Ryder Cup-like captain's buggy?   ;)  It would be nice to have an assistant to share the responsibilities and devise the all important competitive strategies - (like do we need pods).  Could we persuade Mr. Daley, as a rookie, to volunteer, or would that create too much of a liberal left leaning tinge to the non-home team?

As to starting the festivities, I have yet to see the annual battle of the handicaps.  Time to put them out there, either in public here, if they can stand scrutiny, or by PM if you wish to maintain some privacy.

Robin,  I've lost track of the adds and deletions.  Do you have a final (?) team split in mind?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back