News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Re: BUDA Cup 2016 - Carne & Enniscrone - Full Details Posted!
« Reply #125 on: November 06, 2015, 12:34:24 PM »
Having seen only the final sequence of "The Quiet Man" (where John Wayne drags Maureen O'Hara through the town to return her to her father -- I think), I was planning to watch the entire film prior to my trip to Ireland next August. After reading these comments, however, it seems I'd be as well served by watching "Darby O'Gill and the Little People." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFN-y5AB6fs

And I guess "Brigadoon" before a visit to Dornoch? 

That would be a long drive since Brigadoon is just a few kilometers from Prestwick.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2015, 12:46:39 PM »
Having seen only the final sequence of "The Quiet Man" (where John Wayne drags Maureen O'Hara through the town to return her to her father -- I think), I was planning to watch the entire film prior to my trip to Ireland next August. After reading these comments, however, it seems I'd be as well served by watching "Darby O'Gill and the Little People." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFN-y5AB6fs

And I guess "Brigadoon" before a visit to Dornoch? 

That would be a long drive since Brigadoon is just a few kilometers from Prestwick.

I was speaking metaphorically.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2016, 01:15:13 PM »
Happy New Year everyone. This is the year of the Carne Buda!
 :)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2016, 08:41:57 AM »
Happy New Year folks!

Just a reminder to those forward planning that BUDA 2016 is only 9 months away!!

I've updated the first post with the cast lit I know of as of today, so I'd be grateful to those who are still thinking of coming if they could add their names to the list via this post.

We're missing some of the usual suspects, so perhaps their pals can give them a friendly nudge.

2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2016, 05:30:56 AM »
Pleased to have just added RJ (Dick) Daley to the US contingent and Jonathan Pendry (golf course agronomist) to the home nations.

Looking forward to seeing you there Dick and Jonathan.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2016, 04:35:05 PM »
Well done Robin and Ally.  26 has to be one of the larger gatherings. 
Welcome Dick and Jonathan.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2016, 05:53:44 PM »
That's great news. I haven't seen Dick in several years (can't recall if it was at Lawsonia or Oak Ridge in the Twin Cities), but I don't mind traveling 3,600 miles from Minnesota to see a guy who lives in Wisconsin.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2016, 04:36:58 AM »
Accommodation Update:

To date, fourteen members of the BUDA party are staying in the Talbot Hotel in Belmullet. We have 2 more rooms on hold for those remaining to book who wish to stay there.

Alternative accommodation in Belmullet is limited, so I advise you make arrangements as soon as you can.

For those staying overnight in Enniscrone on Monday night, may I remind you to sort yourself out for a hotel. Early posts provide recommendations. Ally likes the Ocean Sands and it is well sited for the pubs and restaurants a short distance from the golf course.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2016, 08:10:31 AM »
An interesting Article by Tom Coyne author of A Course called Ireland. Here he lists Carne as his #1 course.

http://acoursecalledthekingdom.com/2016/01/05/listless/

I played it last year and the second Hackett 9 and the new nine make a world class course. Sorry that I will not be joining you.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2016, 08:36:53 AM »
An interesting Article by Tom Coyne author of A Course called Ireland. Here he lists Carne as his #1 course.
http://acoursecalledthekingdom.com/2016/01/05/listless/
I played it last year and the second Hackett 9 and the new nine make a world class course. Sorry that I will not be joining you.

Cruit Island gets a few mentions in this article so for those tempted to plan some pre or post Buda golf at Cruit here it is -

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,58468.msg1373046.html#msg1373046

Atb

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »
More than thrilled to hear that Dick is making a return trip and will be attending BUDA.

I'm hoping to arrange a post-BUDA 36 for the Tuesday at Rosses Point & Strandhill. I'm sure a few of you will partake. I'll make some tentative arrangements and let you all know.

Ally

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »
I'll be in Enniscrone for another day after Buda, figured that it isn't worth it booking for just one night, so I booked two. And maybe we'll extend it to three, if we like it. Not sure about 36 holes, though, after a schedule of 9/27/27/27.

I'll be more than thrilled to get through Buda unscathed, right now all I can play is 18 and then I need to rest for a day. If I may give a piece of advice: you can mess with your boss, your wife or your best friend - but never, ever mess with your achilles tendon! :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2016, 07:48:53 PM »
I'll be in Enniscrone for another day after Buda, figured that it isn't worth it booking for just one night, so I booked two. And maybe we'll extend it to three, if we like it. Not sure about 36 holes, though, after a schedule of 9/27/27/27.

I'll be more than thrilled to get through Buda unscathed, right now all I can play is 18 and then I need to rest for a day. If I may give a piece of advice: you can mess with your boss, your wife or your best friend - but never, ever mess with your achilles tendon! :)

Ulrich

Don't get me started on my ailments!

Yes we are trolling for strokes.  ;D

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2016, 10:07:11 PM »
I know I'm touring around this time. Just emailed my agent to see if I can clear this period... Fingers crossed. More ASAP.... if there is any room for me...

Mark Pearce

« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2016, 04:10:17 AM »

Ulrich
Ulrich,

Be careful with that Achilles.  I ruptured mine three years ago and it was, without doubt, the worst injury I have suffered.  Even now there are days after rigorous physical exercise when it gets sore.  The good news, though, is that I can now play sport again.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2016, 04:13:33 AM »
More than thrilled to hear that Dick is making a return trip and will be attending BUDA.

I'm hoping to arrange a post-BUDA 36 for the Tuesday at Rosses Point & Strandhill. I'm sure a few of you will partake. I'll make some tentative arrangements and let you all know.

Ally

I'm in, but sadly can only join you for AM only as I'll be flying out of Belfast that night.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2016, 06:49:56 AM »
Ally

I'm likely to be the same as Tony in that David Nelson and myself will be looking to catch the last ferry back to Scotland that afternoon/evening. Still to check if one round will be feasible but certainly won't be able to do the second round. An early tee-off at Rosses Point might just work.

Thanks for the work in organising, much appreciated.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2016, 07:45:31 AM »
Keen on playing Strandhill on the Tues and hearing more about the course revisions, less keen on playing Rosses Point/County Sligo. Might be pretty tired by then too. There's also an apparently rather good 9-holer (called the Bomore) that's part of County Sligo GC.

Some past GCA threads that might be of interest -

Strandhill -

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35261.0.html
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62244.msg1479598.html#msg1479598

County Sligo/Rosses Point -
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,56266.msg1388548.html#msg1388548
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36452.0.html
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59233.msg1483412.html#msg1483412

Atb

Michael Graham

« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2016, 08:24:58 AM »
I think my flight back to Edinburgh leaves Belfast around 17:00 on the Tuesday. I'm very hopeful I'll have time for a round on the Tuesday morning. Either Rosses Point or Strandhill would be grand.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2016, 12:44:22 PM »
Folks,

Before I saw your posts I was on to Rosses Point to make arrangements.

First things first, it has to be Rosses Point in the morning as Strandhill have the same competition that pushed us to an afternoon tee time at Enniscrone.

So I booked Rosses Point. We settled on the way lower than rack rate of €75 as a compromise to give you good value whilst still giving the club some decent income (much needed in these parts).

Final thing is its Ladies Day so tee times are at 10.22 onwards. That said, I already notice that doesn't suit a few of you so the GM reckoned he could get you out first thing (8.00) so that means getting to Rosses Point on the Monday night and staying there - a lovely little village with a decent pub so no bad thing.

We'll sort out numbers etc... over the next while but feel free to drop me an IM just to let me know if interested and whether one time suits better than the other.

Anyone who wants the 36 or wants to skip the morning and go for Strandhill in the afternoon instead let me know also.

All quite relaxed about these arrangements so no pressure / hurry. Will finalise much closer to the time.

Ally

RJ_Daley

« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2016, 01:07:04 PM »
Oh Boy!  I'm  booked into the Talbot and Ocean Side.  I booked an extra early day at Talbot arriving and staying there Sept 1-Thurs, and I also left it open to add a night at Ocean Sands staying 5th and 6th optional.  I figure I may need a little more time than the youngsters to decompress and stroll around the towns a bit.  I took single rooms.  The rates were quite reasonable.  My biggest hassle is the damn car rental.  I am strongly considering making a bigger tour than just this golf at Buda, with a tentative plan to drive into N.I. and if possible have a look at Portrush and even RCD, if reserving tee times there are possible.  Since there is lots of time, I'll have to work on that and an itinerary that gives me sightseeing time as well.  It looks like I'll do the RT from US to Dublin and RT the rental car out of there.  I'm still not well informed on rental car possibilities and options, particularly as it pertains to going into N.I. and if one can rent out of Dublin and possibly leave it in Belfast or at ferry in Larne... etc.  I still need a bit of coaching on all that.  So we're off then...  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »
RJ
If you don't already have a prepaid online phone card I have gotten great value from Nobelcon.com. For $20.00 I scheduled a 12 course trip of Ireland last year and still have $11.00 left. I have also used them when my son was in Mongolia. Easy phone app and wonderful customer service.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Thomas Dai

« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2016, 02:48:53 PM »

RJD,

I've been told that pick-up and drop-off at different Republic and North locations is okay. When you pick up the car they'll probably also ask if you are going 'over the border' as car hire Co's now like to charge a bit extra for this - we were hit for a once-off £25 last year. Not much but worth knowing in advance. Fuel will be in Euro's in the Republic and £ in the North. Sometimes you seem to be able to save a bit of money by filling up on one or other side of the border.

Would having separate pre-paid Euro and £ cards be of any use? I've used the pre-paid Euro before and it worked fine (felt a bit more secure as well).

Anyone have suggestions for where to stay near Rosses Point/Strandhill (have already booked Talbot and Waterside for earlier on)?

atb

RJ_Daley

« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »
Thanks for the tips gents.  I was fine with a GSM chip (I have an unlocked phone and the chip for all the data and phone text I used was plenty for a modest cost)  I may even be able to use the chip I bought last Oct.  Same with the other chip I had to buy in Scotland.  My big issue with the Hertz car rental out of Dublin was the exhorbitant costs of insurance and such, and they do not accept the credit card collision damage waiver that comes with the card that works nearly everywhere else.  Ally and I can tell a story in the pub of my minor panic after dinging up the fender not 20 minutes away from Dublin Hertz station and how he helped me get one up on the expected enormous extra damage charge I would otherwise have incurred upon return.  Do they have some version of "Rent-a-wreck" there in Ireland?  ;D ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2016, 05:23:18 PM »
Thanks for the tips gents.  I was fine with a GSM chip (I have an unlocked phone and the chip for all the data and phone text I used was plenty for a modest cost)  I may even be able to use the chip I bought last Oct.  Same with the other chip I had to buy in Scotland.  My big issue with the Hertz car rental out of Dublin was the exhorbitant costs of insurance and such, and they do not accept the credit card collision damage waiver that comes with the card that works nearly everywhere else.  Ally and I can tell a story in the pub of my minor panic after dinging up the fender not 20 minutes away from Dublin Hertz station and how he helped me get one up on the expected enormous extra damage charge I would otherwise have incurred upon return.  Do they have some version of "Rent-a-wreck" there in Ireland?  ;D ::)

Yes.  Whatever you rent will be a wreck when you return it!

I once rented a car from Mob R Us Rental Cars in Chicago that had three bullet holes in the trunk, but that's another story for the pub.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back