News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Architectural Basics I somehow never noticed until now - Part 1
« on: September 10, 2015, 09:23:58 PM »
Somehow I never noticed until just yesterday that wide, shallow greens (oriented to the line of play) are such a basic and common part of the architect's toolkit, and fundamental to the concept of making a course playable and interesting for all levels of golfers. 

Such greens are so elegantly simple: if you're an average golfer who rarely gets his approach shot past the pin but who can pull or push a 7 iron 10 yards left or right, the width of the green gives you a big margin for error and a chance at a birdie putt; while if you're a better golfer and coming in with an 8 iron, your main concern is distance control, so for you the shallowness of the green (apparent or real) becomes a factor.

That's all there is to it. A purely effective architectural element. I have no idea why it took me so long to notice.

Peter

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:25:44 PM by PPallotta »

Jason Topp

Re: Architectural Basics I somehow never noticed until now - Part 1
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:29:50 PM »
Peter

I actually think it is the opposite.  Good players have distance control and their misses tend to be offline.  Higher handicaps tend to miss short.   

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:32:06 PM »
Peter,
I can see that basic green form as a design staple which is turned in various degrees for various strategies for different holes...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Matt MacIver

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 10:08:21 PM »
Forget the greens, but be sure to leave an opening up front for a run-up shot. How about eliminating green side bunkers to make it more balanced for the high vs low handicappers; the former can't get out of them and the latter always get up and down.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 12:10:57 AM »
The other PP,
Would it be better if the wings of the green drooped back towards the tee?  One of your ideal greens is on our course, but because of sloping becomes more difficult for the higher handicappers. Their tee shot, short and off line has to deal with crossing the slope.

PP,

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 04:09:50 AM »
Peter

I actually think it is the opposite.  Good players have distance control and their misses tend to be offline.  Higher handicaps tend to miss short.

It depends on where you use them.  On shorter holes, good players are going to be much straighter than the 15-handicap, so the width of the green really helps the B player.  On long approaches, the good player has better distance control, so the width is more of a help to him. 

This was one of the conclusions of Dean Knuth's work in putting together the Slope System ... one of the few things I could find in it that impacted my design ideas.  [Mr. Dye had assigned me to spend a day with Dean and figure out anything I could that would be helpful.]

As to Mike Young's thought, we have built several holes at Forest Dunes where the green is long and skinny for a hole played in one direction, and then wide and shallow for the "reverse" course where the routing turns and the approach is from 90 degrees different direction, instead of 180 degrees.  I've found those to be a lot of the most interesting holes on the course.

Ryan Coles

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 06:40:38 AM »
Slightly off topic, but was in St Andrews this week and playing the Jubilee one morning. The starter asks us if we'd mind pairing up with an American guy called Dean.

Nice enough bloke who said he was over for the R&A autumn meeting. On about the third I ask what the Driver is he's using. "Oh it's one of my own, I designed it." He goes onto tell me about his work for various companies and his concept with this Knuth Golf driver.

Later in the round I ask him the differences in the CONGU handicapping compared to the U.S. "Oh, I was director of Handicapping for the USGA, I designed the slope system "

I just told him "Dean, I'm not asking you anymore questions".

Nice bloke and the beauty of golf and especially St Andrews - that you never know who you'll bump into.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 07:25:15 AM »
Yeah, Dean is a great guy, especially for a science nerd......

As to the OP, I also disagree.  Those slope studies show that the B/C players need about 1.25-1.5 more depth than width to consistently hold a shot. 

Scratch/Pros need 10% width and depth on almost any approach (i.e. 15 yards wide and deep for a 150 yard approach shot) and they notice when targets are undersized (not that they don't play them if required, but they do notice)

Mid handicaps need about 12-15% width and 18-22.5% depth to hold (i.e.,  from 18 x 27 yards and up).  In general, I size greens to those slope researched guides, and provide one tucked pin sized to the pros required area.  In my own research, average players need at least 1.33% up slope to have a chance.  On flatter slopes, the ball just keeps running until something stops it, like a backing mound or rough.

So, all but a few of my greens per course are longer than wide and have some up slope.  Golf is hard enough as it is, but a few exceptions to the "standard" approach shot difficulty are required for variety.

We can't forget how much JN got criticized for building greens across the line of play, which only he could consistency play well. Or, the difficulty of Butler National and its cross ways greens, at least until they switched from blue grass fw to tightly mowed bent, which allows enough spin for the pros to hold those tight pin positions.  It takes good conditioning to build shallow greens that play well.  Short version, wide shallow greens are just too tough. 

Oddly, I often use one on the longest par 4, figuring it really challenges the good player, and average players are hitting wedge in after coming up short in two, so it works both ways.

Lastly, I am influenced by both George Thomas and the good players I know, and consider prevailing winds when setting green orientation.  He favored long skinny greens on downwind shots, where spin is reduced, and across the line greens into the wind which adds to backspin (back in 1920's when most of you figured everyone was playing the ground game!)  In other words, using all factors to create a playable shot of a certain type.

And the different seasons....... Here in TX, summer winds come from the south, and winter from the north (often) while the greens are over seeded and sometimes faster.  An across the line of play green, with frontal hazard, can be nearly unplayable for a third of the year, which seems a bit much to give up for whatever design benefit you might derive otherwise.

Short version, nothing is ever that simple in GCA! When you consider all the factors, the shallow green is rarely, IMHO, the best option.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Paul Gray

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »
Interesting that Jeff mentions using wide greens for long par 4's. I've long thought such greens have merit if used for par 5's, my reasoning being that the best will have to do well to hold it with a long second shot while the average golfing can hit it in three with a wedge.

I'm afraid I'm utterly lost when Jeff starts talking about greens being receptive for pros or why there should be any consideration for the pro who can't run a ball on to a green. The concept that a shallow green on a firm course is too tough flies in the face of some pretty neat golf holes here in Britain. Perhaps I'm being harsh but it all sounds like adhering to an aerial mentality to me. If you can't hit it and hold it, it must to bad conditioning, right? Well, no. 
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

paul cowley

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »
Tom Doak quote: "[size=78%]As to Mike Young's thought, we have built several holes at Forest Dunes where the green is long and skinny for a hole played in one direction, and then wide and shallow for the "reverse" course where the routing turns and the approach is from 90 degrees different direction, instead of 180 degrees.  I've found those to be a lot of the most interesting holes on the course."[/size]

[/size]Great observation Tom...I will be sure to remember that should a similar situation present itself. Gracias!
[size=78%]

[/size]
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 06:18:30 PM »
Interesting that Jeff mentions using wide greens for long par 4's. I've long thought such greens have merit if used for par 5's, my reasoning being that the best will have to do well to hold it with a long second shot while the average golfing can hit it in three with a wedge.

I'm afraid I'm utterly lost when Jeff starts talking about greens being receptive for pros or why there should be any consideration for the pro who can't run a ball on to a green. The concept that a shallow green on a firm course is too tough flies in the face of some pretty neat golf holes here in Britain. Perhaps I'm being harsh but it all sounds like adhering to an aerial mentality to me. If you can't hit it and hold it, it must to bad conditioning, right? Well, no. 

Paul,

In reality, the short five and long four have about the same reasoning going for them - the average Joe can stand a smaller green on a short third shot approach.  But, on a long par 4 or 3, it represents a chance to test longer iron play of better layers without punishing average ones.  So, I guess we agree a short 5 isn't a bad place for both angled across greens and perhaps a reverse slope, with a frontal opening, as long as not all 2-4 are that way, just for variety.

When designing courses with Larry Nelson, later reinforced by Notah Begay, one of his broad general instructions was to include one par 5 with the green turned against, and he noted Norman could probably hold that with a towering 2 iron, but he couldn't.  So, he wanted one with a longer green and narrow front opening where he could run up a 4 wood, playing to his accuracy strength. Similarly, NB3 changed a 545 yard par 5 at Firekeeper, where I had done basically a fortress green.  Like Nelson, he wanted a narrow opening because 545 was near the limit of what he could reach in two.  (290/260 or so)

I don't really design for pros, but figure shorter hitters like those two, Jim Colbert or even Steve Pate fairly represent the higher level ams that probably would play the course.  IT is really only the top 10-20 pros overpowering golf courses, and others play more realistic games, sometimes, quite well.

As to the aerial game, lets face it, that is how its played, and If strategy is all about options, why limit the aerial one that most would use and want most? 

There is a fine line between offering the option of a run up shot and requiring it.  Better, IMHO, to do a longer green, accessible by all, open front, and maybe some cross slope like TD and Paul suggest, that allows a creative running shot to use the contours to get close to the tighter pin, which may be better than the aerial assault, rather than a slope that makes it harder to hold.

I have read all those books by the Masters, and few wrote about creating greens that were too hard for people to hit.  Most wrote about encouraging better (and a better variety) of shots. Its a fine line many have trouble with in design - encourage good play vs. punish mediocre play, but I favor the former.

When Ross, for example, did an occasional reverse slope green (like at White Bear or Oakland Hills) he left plenty of room out there to bounce one in, and I would do the same.  Oddly enough, OH 14, playing as a long 4 in the PGA and Ryder Cup worked very well and players did bounce it in because they had to.  On a shorter hole, my experience is they would simply put MORE spin on their mid irons to hold it with an aerial shot.

Just my thoughts......
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:22:50 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 01:07:58 AM »

Oddly, I often use one on the longest par 4, figuring it really challenges the good player, and average players are hitting wedge in after coming up short in two, so it works both ways.

I wouldn't agree with this.  The long hitter will be up around the green in two, so his third shot is not to a "shallow" green.  The target still presents "shallow" to the shorter hitter.  I would prefer to reward the guy who hit a straight second shot no matter whether it's right up in front of the green or 100 yards back.  Tom Watson noted that feature of Ballybunion, and I think that's the right approach.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back