News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Calling all WilliePark fans
« on: September 08, 2015, 03:37:10 PM »
 ??? 8)

We have been working on some plans for our golf course and I am soliciting pictures of greens and or opinions on the best of Willie Park Jr. 

Shorter par fours would be most appreciated !

Thanks all

Joe Bausch

Re: Calling all WilliePark fans
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

MCirba

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 04:03:33 PM »
Joe,

I believe you also have pics of the original nine holes of Schuylkill CC that Park Jr. designed.   There are some terrific green complexes among those holes, as well.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »
Joe,

I believe you also have pics of the original nine holes of Schuylkill CC that Park Jr. designed.   There are some terrific green complexes among those holes, as well.

True (although I wish it was a better album as it was taken years ago):

http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Schuylkill/

Which are the Park holes at Schuylkill?

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 04:23:10 PM »
Archie, you may wish to have a look at GCA threads and course photo tours posted herein of Huntercombe and also look at the clubs website www.huntercombegolfclub.co.uk
Atb

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 04:29:57 PM »
Joe,

I can't recall all the hole numbering off the top of my head at the moment but my recollection is that except for one hole which was truncated into a par three all of the original Park Jr. holes still exist pretty close to original form (although sadly with the loss of some of the cool bunkers).   

Here it is in 1938. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 04:32:06 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Chris DeToro

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 04:55:41 PM »
I don't have any pictures, but I think some exist on this site--the 17th green at Battle Creek CC (MI) is a driveable par 4 with a great green.  There are a bunch of short 4s there though--2, 5, 7, and 11 come to mind

archie_struthers

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »
 8) 8)

Love the response guys , keep em coming.  Greate Bay has a lot of Park Jr. remaining , as George Fazio added most of the bunkering without messing with the green complexes. In fact , George did a really nice job . He was quite a character. As a youth I was lucky enough to hang out a little at Jupiter Hills and hear his thoughts . I worked down the street at another club .

I'm not so enamored of  the holes built from scratch by another architect in the mid 80's
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:14:18 AM by archie_struthers »

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 06:16:44 PM »
Better to be enameled than plastered, I think.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

archie_struthers

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 06:45:33 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Thomas Dai , the fourth at Huntercombe is just dripping with character , and a dash of quirk . Is it as good in person as it appears in your picture ?. Does it play well?

Can't wait to hear !

Paul Gray

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »
Save for the few young trees along the left edge of the fairway which are clearly just plain wrong, my vote goes for the 17th at Stoneham. Cracking hole, although calling it genuinely short might be a bit of a stretch (no pun intended).
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

archie_struthers

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 07:41:15 PM »
Paul.   I'm looking for Stoneham pictures,
Really interested in greens.

:D

Jim Sherma

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 08:55:23 PM »
Park holes at Schuylkill are 1, 5, 6, 7, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18. 16's green has been redone but I think the bulk of the rest of the green rebuilds were on Ross holes, 4, 9 and 13. I really like the greens and surrounds on 5, 7, 15 and 17.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 09:11:25 PM »
;D ;D ;D

Thomas Dai , the fourth at Huntercombe is just dripping with character , and a dash of quirk . Is it as good in person as it appears in your picture ?. Does it play well?

Can't wait to hear !

Huntercombe is as much fun as I've ever had with my clothes on!

Four is terrific with the split level green.  Don't be up if the pin is down.  2 and 3 are just as good in their way.  Not many sand bunkers but a lot of broken ground and grassy holes and hollows for defense. 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 03:39:57 AM »
;D ;D ;D
Can't wait to hear !

Archie, there are a whole bunch of splendid greens and green surrounds at Huntercombe. Not many greenside bunkers either just a cunning mass of humps and hollows and plateaus etc. Great fun. There are a couple of GCA posters who are members so perhaps they'll add their thoughts to this thread.
Atb

Rich Goodale

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 03:44:57 AM »
You could do a lot worse than looking at one of WJPjr's earliest work, at Burntisland.

http://www.burntislandgolfhouseclub.co.uk/the-course
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Sam Krume

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 05:09:06 AM »
i would also like to add the 11th at Sunningdale (old Course) as a great short par 4.

archie_struthers

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 07:15:55 AM »
 8) ;)

Tim , I've been plastered. But enameled , WELL MAYBE ?

Lol

Kyle Harris

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 08:24:55 AM »
Joe,

I can't recall all the hole numbering off the top of my head at the moment but my recollection is that except for one hole which was truncated into a par three all of the original Park Jr. holes still exist pretty close to original form (although sadly with the loss of some of the cool bunkers).   

Here it is in 1938. 

Mike,

Not quite, but a man of your advanced age deserves a few Mucci-misses.

The major changes performed by the Ross additions were the relocation of the present fifth tee (old 2nd tee in the NE part of the photo), making the hole play as a sharper dogleg and moving the original 6th green located at the SW edge of the property with the path looping behind it. This shortened the hole to its present yardage and allowed Ross to lengthen the previous hole to its present yardage and tie-in to the present 13th green.

You mentioned the bunker changes but otherwise the golf course was left as it was.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:26:46 AM by Kyle Harris »
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 08:28:23 AM »
Joe Bausch,

Let us not forget the erstwhile Ashbourne Country Club, as well as Holes 6-14 of Penn State's White Course.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 08:49:41 AM »
As ever it can be difficult to determine who did what when you look at a course. I play at Glasgow Gailes, designed "jointly" by Park and Tulloch who was the pro/greenkeeper at the time. Apparently both did a design independently and after consultation with the members the Committee came up with a composite of both designs. As for who actually built the course I've no idea and suspect that Tulloch had more to do with it. Either way the 8th and 9th are two cracking short par 4's with really interesting elevated greens.

Rich

Nice link to Burntisland. Haven't played there but the photos remind me of the greens on the Park holes at West Lothian GC in the way that they are benched in.

Niall

Joe Bausch

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »
Joe Bausch,

Let us not forget the erstwhile Ashbourne Country Club, as well as Holes 6-14 of Penn State's White Course.

True, but my photos of Ashbourne are a couple of years after it closed and nature had done her work (!) and I've still yet to see PSU's courses.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 11:18:50 AM »
In Connecticut, both Shuttle Meadow CC and New Haven CC are fun Park courses that are not long but will forever be solid tests because of their greens. They're not the only Park tracks in CT, but they're the ones I've played.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Kyle Harris

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 11:59:10 AM »
In Connecticut, both Shuttle Meadow CC and New Haven CC are fun Park courses that are not long but will forever be solid tests because of their greens. They're not the only Park tracks in CT, but they're the ones I've played.

Woodway is quite keen, as well. Coincidentally, Willie Park was hired at Penn State in large part because of his Connecticut work.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 12:38:56 PM »
Can't find a Woodway thread here with pics but there have been numerous mentions here.

http://www.woodway.org/golf-course
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back